S470 too trebly so need advice! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

S470 too trebly so need advice!

So this has been my main axe for quite a while now, but the overriding problem I have with it is that the bridge p/up is far, far too trebly. The neck is great, lovely and warm with decent output, but the bridge just sucks ass. The pickups are of the Powersound variety, and obviously not brilliant, but in all the other S-series guitars I've played with these pickups, the bridge isn't as bad. Anyway, I'm gonna upgrade, but having had problems in the past when changing pickups, I'm a bit wary this time. Thus far I've narrowed it down to these choices:

1) Air Norton/Tone Zone combo- possibly too much mid wih mahagony body?
2) Pair of Evos- nice output, harmonics etc. but a bit unsubtle when clean
3) Pair of Breeds- never really heard much of these, but from the specs on the DM site, they seem like damn good pickups.

Any suggestions you have would be great, and most welcome.

Thanx,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 02:19 PM

Re: S470 too trebly so need advice!

I have a s470 and I've tried a seymour duncan JB in the bridge. It was annoyingly bad. I then went to the tone zone as was very impressed with the difference. The guitar now has alot more mid-low end kick when agressively attacking with the pick. I put an old Humbucker From Hell in the neck position and it is not as loud as the tone zone but is very good with clean stuff. Both are nowhere near as precise as the evolutions.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 09:33 PM

I have a Dimarzio D-Sonic in the bridge of my S470DX and a PAF Joe in the neck. I LOVE the D-Sonic in the bridge because it gives it a nice aggresive sound that's perfect for low tuned rhythm and it can still scream for leads. The PAF Joe in the neck sounds great distorted but I'm not 100 percent happy with the clean tone. For my mahogany RG321 I'm thinking about going with an Air Norton/Air Zone combo. I think those two pickups will balance perfectly together and it'll give me a very versatile tone that's not muddy.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 02:08 AM

How do those D-Sonic's sound for standard tuning?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 02:21 AM

I have used the Breeds combi. They are EXCELLENT if you want fat humbucking tones, towards the vintage side. Good power too and the cleans are suprisingly good!

Only issue? They sound very good but not unqiue.

I have go thru a ton of pups in my S520EX. Breed neck, Breed bridge, Breed neck in bridge, PAF Joe, Evo neck, Air Norton, Tonezone in bridge, Tonezone in neck, Double Whammy, FRED in neck... the set I'm settling on for a compromise in lead + rhythm tone, is Air Norton neck and Double Whammy (Tonezone was too flabby and on 11s all the time)

I want Evo neck and Evo 2 in the S now to make it a lead machine...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier 7
How do those D-Sonic's sound for standard tuning?
It sounds good regardless of the tuning, but the pickup is mostly designed for hard rock/metal music and it does those genres very well. It does have a nice clean tone, though. The only thing with the D-Sonic is that you need to install the bar towards the bridge. I installed the bar towards the neck just to see what it would sound like and it's definitely not the way I want my bridge pickup to sound, but when you flip it around with the bar facing the bridge it's an entirely different beast. I honestly don't know how Petrucci plays with it the other way around because it just doesn't do it for me at all.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Been listening to a lot of Paul Gilbert lately, and I'm loving the sound of the Tone Zone. Also, Air Norton seems like a good solid pickup, so I might go for a combi of these.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:22 PM

You really can't go wrong with the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo as it is a tried-and-true combo that most agree is a good starting point. Right now I'm just debating over whether I should get that combo or an Air Zone instead of a Tone Zone. Either way, it'll be a vast improvement over the stock pickups but I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to keep making changes to things. Once I've paid all the money that it'll cost to get the new pickups and have them installed, I just want them to work and leave it alone.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 02:32 PM

ditto on the AN/TZ rig. i actually fell in love with the air norton from it being installed in an s470. i still remember that day, i ended up swapping the bridge super distortion for a fred. this was not my guitar...i would have put a TZ in it. i just remember the AN being just super sweet and fat. ever since then, it has been my go to pickup for mahogany...dimarzio wise.

rich
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanx for all your help guys, I have a feeling my bank account may soon be somewhat depleted!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 05:03 PM

I use a combination, and it seems to work really well for my application. Fred at the bridge, Fender Lace Sensor Gold (Eric Clapton) Middle, SD 59 at the neck.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 12:40 PM

What would a good middle single coil be for generic hard rock? Not metal or shred but a good hard agressive rock.

Woudl the tone zone S have too much mids with the mahogany? Or would the protrack be a better choice.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 01:22 PM

I think that the pro-track would be a better choice than the tone zone s but really I'd go with either a blue velvet or red velvet for a middle single coil replacement.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:08 PM

They're not hum cancelling though are they?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:58 PM

I guess when Ibanez can ship the prestige Sabers with Air Norton/Blue Velvet/Tone Zone, they won't hurt in a S470...

At least that's what I'm going to put in my S470 because I have the same "problem" as the thread starter.

Tags
air norton , air norton combo , air norton neck , breed bridge , bridge pickup , clean tone , eric clapton , lace sensor , neck position , norton neck , paf joe , paf pro , paf pros , paul gilbert , seymour duncan , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode