S470DX, broken tremolo :( - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

S470DX, broken tremolo :(

Hey guys whatsup, Ive been looking for a good Ibanez forum to join and this looks like one the best ones around here.

Anyway I have a bit of a tremolo problem, and im not sure if alot will know what I should do since I have a trem that is only on the S series guitars.

Right now it is called ZR tremolo with Zero Point System v1.0

I have a 2003 S470DX that I put EMG 85/SA/81 into, other than that its stock.

A few months back when adjusting the inside of my trem (leveling it out for 9' and 10's is a required adjustment) The allen wrench/gear assembly snapped. It was made out of very cheap metal (ugh...)

Anyway that wasnt that big of a deal because I could simply remove the springs, screw the bolt manually, then reattach the springs and repeat untill I found the sweet spot where the trem would sit perfect.

Now the fun part, at the part where my tremolo bar screws in, it must have gotton stripped or something because when I noticed the bar wasnt moving freely and tried to turn counterclockwise to loosen her up, the entire arm came out with the threads attached. Once again this is due to cheap metal, because if this was stronger it wouldnt have happened.

So now I'm in a situation, I can either:

a) Order a replacement ZR zeropoint system v1.0 (found on 2003 S series)
b) Order a replacement ZR zeropoint system v2.0 (found on 04+ S series)
c) Go with a Edge or something other than a ZR and hope it will fit.

The reason I mentioned there is two versions of the ZR is, that part that originally snapped on my guitar while adjusting the trem, was replaced with version 2.0 (I guess they got alot of complaints about the VERY cheap setup underthere! so +1 to Ibanez for making a new version) The part that snapped is a more rugged different design.

Anyways, I def need to replace this now since I no longer have a tremolo arm and I love the whammy!

What are you guys opinions on the ZR trem?

ive never played on an edge or edge 2 or 3 or lo pro etc.. all I know is that there is like 15 of them and I dont know which is the best or even if they will fit.

Should I order the ZR zp2.0 or go with something else?

thanks for your opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 04:01 PM

Re: S470DX, broken tremolo :(

I have a version 2.0, no prob.s so far. I think you are going to have problems putting something else in there. The route,etc. in the guitar is differant.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 04:14 PM

Read the tech section on Ibanez Rules (banner above) on the ZR trem.

Regards

André

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

so it seems the ZR trem is Ibanez's top of the line then?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 04:43 PM

Reviews: 7

It is when it comes to zero resistance trems, when it comes to tremelos in general thier top of the line includes trems like the edge, edge lo-pro, and edge pro (only if it has had the locking stud mod ). Basically comes down to taste between the three.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 06:19 PM

I have a very similar problem with my 2004 S470DX. I apparently also have the version 1.0 and when I got it (used) it didn't have the little piece to adjust the trem angle. I can't figure out exactly how to adjust it so I just blocked it. Other than that, the trem seems to work perfectly but I would like to find that version 2.0 plate so that I can unblock the trem.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
I have a very similar problem with my 2004 S470DX. I apparently also have the version 1.0 and when I got it (used) it didn't have the little piece to adjust the trem angle. I can't figure out exactly how to adjust it so I just blocked it. Other than that, the trem seems to work perfectly but I would like to find that version 2.0 plate so that I can unblock the trem.

version 1.0 uses and allen wrench, which can be inserted through the plate underneath. This turns the screw type mechanism which is stuck inbetween 2 gears. The gears turn which turns the bolt that is connected to the springs. It raises and lowers the trem arm

you tighten the allen wrench and it adjusts your trem to put it where it has no saggyness and is level.

the problem is mine busted right off since its cheap ass metal.

version 2.0 uses a different mechanism with no gears as you can see in my pictures.

So...im hoping its covered in waranty so I can get 2.0 and throw it in and have no more problems.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:30 PM

Yes, I clearly know the difference between versions 1 and 2. I'm just saying that when I got my S470DX (with it being used) it was missing the little piece that you stick the allen wrench into to adjust the spring tension so I can't figure out how to adjust it. It would be cool if I could just buy the version 2.0 plate and retrofit it to the guitar instead of buying a whole new ZR trem since the trem itself works fine.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Yep I know what your talking about now, because thats the same issue I had. The part where the allen wrench gets inserted, broke clean off. So now when you look into the hole, you dont see anything.

the plate in v2 looks the same fitment as v1
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve069
so it seems the ZR trem is Ibanez's top of the line then?
Depends really it's Ibanez only trem that's ball bearing. I'm not so sure that trem is even made MIJ (Gotoh) since it is equipped on only the S series and those are MIK.

Regards

André

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

just though id update you on all my situation

Steve,

I've received your e-mail about your Ibanez guitar and the problem you are having concerning the ZR tremolo system. I'll be happy to provide you with a Return Authorization (RA) number. This number will allow you to ship the guitar back to us for repair.

Having your guitar retrofitted with the newer version shouldn't be a problem for us. It's not going to cost you any additional fee either

We will honor our warranty in this matter for you. All you will be responsible for is the shipping charge to us and we'll handle the rest. All I need from you is your shipping information, please no PO boxes. Also please include a phone number in case we have to contact you. Also I'll need the model number and serial number of the guitar you would return to us.

If this is acceptable for you please respond and I will take the steps necessary to repair your guitar.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for choosing Ibanez.

Tags
allen wrench , locking stud , locking stud mod , trem arm , tremolo arm , tremolo bar , tremolo system , zero resistance trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode