S470DXQM (I think) project - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

S470DXQM (I think) project

Hello all. I picked this one up planning to fix it up and it’s sat for a few years. When I got it, it was pretty much a loaded body, with the neck broken (headstock totally broken off) but the fretboard was intact (S-wave style). I pulled the fretboard and was going to transplant on another neck. I picked up an RG that I sold the body on, made some money off the body, kept the neck and liked it.

The ZR tremolo is missing a few parts, so I decided that since I have little to no money into this project, I’m going to redo it.

A lot of purists won’t like what happens next.

I’ve building and customizing guitars for about 10 years now (and yes I’ve worked with luthiers and learned a lot over those years to do this project how I see it should be).

I’m planning on selling the ZR, the pickups/wiring and starting with a blank canvas.

Next, I’ll strip the finish then convert this body to a hardtail, HH set up.

From that point, I’ll plug and contour the neck heel to fit this body better, smooth over the body and then refinish it. Since this guitar has imperfections, will have survived a complete make over and been converted to something different, it’ll be refinished in a rattle can, relic kind of way. This is not everyone’s taste, but it’ll look good in my eyes. I did a finish on an SG a few years ago and really liked it so maybe we’ll go that route.

As far as the electronics I’d like to put a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquities or comparable output (neck: 7.1k-7.6k, bridge 8.2k-8.5k) humbuckers in it. I’ll wire the 500k pots with a .22 capacitor and telecaster style 3 way switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:11 PM

Re: S470DXQM (I think) project

sounds like a cool project, but one thing you have to keep in mind when using an RG neck on an S body is that the RG neck is 24 frets while the S body was designed to work with 22. They are both 25.5 inch scale so the intonation will probably be off without some serious modification. If you are going to make it a fixed bridge you'll have to move the bridge forward toward the neck to compensate for the longer neck.

If it were me i'd save the RG neck and just look for an S neck or if you wanted a fixed bridge find a cheap rgex2 body for the rg neck or s421 to modify.

if you are looking to improve your skills this is a great project to take on.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I looked at the basic measurements (nut to 12th fret and then measured out the bridge location) and found the bridge will land right in the hardtail section. This makes it easier to mount a bridge because the body has the tremolo routing hole, so if I fill it with a flat piece of maple (or other harder wood) I can leave it flat there to mount the bridge. This will open the ability to use either a Fender style bridge (strong through body) or a Gibson style bridge and stop bar.

I was actually thinking about using a Strat neck. I have a Classic Player 60ís neck on a Strat I have and love the way it feels. Since I havenít filled the body yet, I canít be exact on the location until I pick a neck.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Wish I could upload pics from my phone on here...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakespade View Post
Yeah I looked at the basic measurements (nut to 12th fret and then measured out the bridge location) and found the bridge will land right in the hardtail section. This makes it easier to mount a bridge because the body has the tremolo routing hole, so if I fill it with a flat piece of maple (or other harder wood) I can leave it flat there to mount the bridge. This will open the ability to use either a Fender style bridge (strong through body) or a Gibson style bridge and stop bar.

I was actually thinking about using a Strat neck. I have a Classic Player 60ís neck on a Strat I have and love the way it feels. Since I havenít filled the body yet, I canít be exact on the location until I pick a neck.

I saw Jimmy Thackery playing at a local blues joint a couple of years ago and had to ask him about his super beat-up old Strat with a Floyd rose trem. He had the original trem cavity filled with the stuff they plug bowling ball finger holes before redrilling. Just a thought, as most towns of any size have a place that can do bowling balls in this manner. The only reason I mention it is that I tried filling a trem cavity with hardwood on an old Roadstar II body and it just didn't work out well... but I readily admit that I was 20 at the time and had no idea what I was doing.

Picture of Thackery's old '64 modified strat:

Jimmy Thackery Biography

Good luck on it!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I saw Jimmy Thackery playing at a local blues joint a couple of years ago and had to ask him about his super beat-up old Strat with a Floyd rose trem. He had the original trem cavity filled with the stuff they plug bowling ball finger holes before redrilling. Just a thought, as most towns of any size have a place that can do bowling balls in this manner. The only reason I mention it is that I tried filling a trem cavity with hardwood on an old Roadstar II body and it just didn't work out well... but I readily admit that I was 20 at the time and had no idea what I was doing.

Picture of Thackery's old '64 modified strat:

Jimmy Thackery Biography

Good luck on it!!

I love that Strat!! I saw that one in an article about 15 years ago and could never find any info on it!! Thanks for the link!! I have a few strats Iím in the process of collecting parts for a Prince tribute tele and Iím restoring a Ď74 (first year reissue) that has seen some hell... I like building more than playing lol!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in