S470DXQM question re: Wizard II neck - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

S470DXQM question re: Wizard II neck

I've been doing some searching and coming up empty so I thought I'd throw this question out there (I apologize if the answer is out there and I just haven't found it).

I have a S470DXQM from '07 which I purchased used as my first electric (I'm teaching myself how to play). Anyways, over the past weekend I brought it over to a coworker's house because he wanted to try it out and compare it to some old RG's he had back in the 1980s when he was in a band.

He was blown away at the neck on my guitar, saying that he never played a Wizard II that felt as good as mine did (he thought it was an original Wizard neck). He said that the two RG's he had were also equipped with Wizard II's and he ended up selling his RG's because he didn't like the feel of the Wizard II. Does anyone know if the Wizard II on my guitar is somehow different than what was used on RG's back in the day? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:49 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: S470DXQM question re: Wizard II neck

The Wizard II is a VERY good neck. In my opinion, it is every bit as good as the original Wizard. Build wise they have the exact same quality. The only difference between the two is the overall neck thickness and I think the W2's came with a 400mm radius as opposed to the usual 430mm. There are people that cannot get comfortable with the W2, I'm guessing because of the radius.

Does your friend still play on an original Wiz? If not, I don't think he's remembering the different feel of the original very well.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

He hasn't played Ibanez's in quite some time. Like I said, he had 2 RG's (I think they were both in a 700 series) in the late 80s - early 90s, neither of which worked out for him so he ended up selling them.

His current lineup of guitars includes 2 old Kramer Barettas circa 1984 - 1985, a PRS McCarty he just got 2 years ago, and a Gibson Les Paul (unsure of the year - purchased new, probably in the past 5 -6 years). I don't think it was the radius that would have given him an issue. Could it be the thickness of the neck? I'm a total noob to all of this so please forgive my questions.

-Cheers
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:38 AM

RG700 series models don't have Wizard II necks but regular' (and thinner) Wizard necks. That might explain something (maybe he likes them a bit thicker), but comparing a neck you played several years ago with a neck you played just recently sounds pretty amazing to me. They both are quite different from the necks on Les Pauls and McCarty though, only the Beretta neck might be similar, but I never played one so I don't know.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

I've been searching for some explanation because I found it to be fascinating. My buddy has been playing for 30 years and needless to say, he's played a ton of different guitars thru different rigs over the years.

Don't misunderstand me though, he's the one who's comparing the wizard II neck on my guitar versus the wizard II on two of his old Ibanez RG's. I know for a fact he told me that both Ibanez guitars he owned were RG's, I was just trying to take a stab at the model number (he threw a ton out there between 700's and 500's over the years of 1987 thru, say, 1992). I couldn't keep it all straight - I have a hard enough time just teaching myself HOW to play. I don't know how you guys can keep track of specs of different models over the years! Anyways, I thought it was an interesting question that someone may have had an answer to.

Could it be that the guy I bought my guitar from just did a fantastoc job at setting the instrument up?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 AM

Wizard II neck didn't exist until 1994.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Reviews: 3

I have an S320 from Korea, an RG350 from Indonesia and a newly acquired 91 RG570 from Japan. The first two have a W2 neck and the last a Wizard. Comparing them all together, there are differences. I love the W2 on my S320, it is a bit beefier than the Wizard but still very comfortable to play and the build quality is fantastic, very similar to the RG570. The W2 on the RG is closer in feel to the Wizard but the fret work is very sloppy. Basically each factory has their own parameters that they work with and each will get you a slightly differing product. Personally, I think the late era Korean builds up to the switch to Indonesia are top notch and hard to beat, quality wise, and from a budget perspective.

Of course, my buddy just picked up a new S570B in red from Indonesia and the neck is way superior to my RG350.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:23 PM

A wizard II in a Korean S470 DXQM is nothing like a 1 piece maple 80s wizard 1 . In build quality isnt in the same ballpark and feel like they are from a different planet... sorry to say,,,,
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 06:26 PM

Reviews: 3

Matter of opinion. My wizard II is a 3 piece maple neck. It is built differently and it does feel different but that doesn't make it any less quality. Straight, nice fret work, no sharp edges, smooth as a babies butt, no fret buzz, good action, no problems. What more do you need?

Tags
s470dxqm , wizard ii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode