S540 not in catalog? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

S540 not in catalog?

I have recently played a S540 (used) and am unsure of its heritage!
It's just like the ones Gambale has in some promo pictures, Desert Yellow body and head, shark tooth inlays are plastic pearl, NOT yellow! IBZ/USA pups (HSH) original Edge trem, old style neck plate (not all access) but the serial number is F93xxxxx.
Didn't Ibanez use the all access joint and the LoPro by this time?
Also, isn't the head usually black on this model?
I'm wondering if its not the original neck or maybe some custom, or perhaps just not in the catalog. By the way this was in a guitar shop in Tokyo that has a large collection of used Ibanez guitars so I'm sure its not any kind of fake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 02:14 AM

Re: S540 not in catalog?

You sure it wasnt just a Frank Gamballe Model :P.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 09:14 AM

Sounds more like an 1989 S540LTD. They didn't start the 'first 2 digit" serial number thing until 1997. Odd that it has the matching headstock though, could be a Japanese market spec.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Sniper, the Gambale has matching colour inlays but these are 'pearl', plus I think they had DiMarzios rather than IBZ pups. Plus this one has a sticker saying S540 (or 540S) on the back of the head

I'm guessing that maybe it is a Japan spec model then, when did Ibanez introduce the all access heel and the LoPro Edge?
I'm guessing about the same time as the JEM 7vhw, '92-93?

Thanks for your help.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Sounds more like an 1989 S540LTD. They didn't start the 'first 2 digit" serial number thing until 1997. Odd that it has the matching headstock though, could be a Japanese market spec.
Yeah, it's an 89, not a 93.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 11:54 AM

It's definitely not a Gambale. They were all AANJ and the early ones had the matching sharktooth inlays. There were plenty of DY Sabers (540SLTD) with standard sharktooth inlays. The 92-93 catalog shows the old neck joint, and the '93 catalog shows the AANJ. So there was bound to be some overlap of regular/AANJ guitars that could have easily been officially sold and serial #'d for 1993.

Oops, toshiro is right. F93 isn't 1993, it's 1989. So the only thing out of place is the matching headstock, something Ibanez did a lot anyway. It could have just been one production run, or a special little bonus for the Japanese market. We all know they've done that enough times!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much guys, thats really helpful!

Do you think this model is collectable? It has a chip and a few marks and isn't particularly cheap at about $874 (US Dollars) but I haven't seen any others and it's pretty cool.

There are some other interesting S types around though, I saw a red metallic paisley pattern, with the pattern on cloth under the finish like on a JEM FP, and a cream one with gold hardware and gold covered pickups.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 09:22 AM

I paid $300 for my black 93 S540LTD with the AANJ, for reference.. $800+ is way-way high.

Tags
edge trem , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , neck joint , neck plate , pro edge , shark tooth inlays , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode