S540LTD anyone add locking tuners + ebanol nut ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

S540LTD anyone add locking tuners + ebanol nut ?

I have a couple of fenders and they use locking tuners and roller nuts.
I'd like to do this on my S540LTD for fast string changes (do a lot of recording).

Which locking tuners fit the S540LTD?
The ebanol nut sounds like a good fit.

Anyone do this already that can advise for this or against this?
Will removing the string tree cause any issues with the ebanol nut?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 AM

Re: S540LTD anyone add locking tuners + ebanol nut ?

Are you planning to take out the locking nut? why? is your trem blocked or something?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM

Ive considered adding locking tuners to my 540S, but i would still leave the locking nut on though. I love the quick string changes with locking tuners, but dont consider the locking nut to be that much of a hassle...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Will removing the string tree cause any issues with the ebanol nut?
string trees are there to help give a better break angle from the nut to the tuners, they are added to necks that have a straight headstock. The 540S has a headstock that bends backwards so no string trees are needed.

As far as what locking tuners will fit... gotoh makes some auto locking tuners that dont require any extra holes to be drilled, they should fit just like the original tuners.

I recently put some sperzel locking tuners in my rt150 because they offer "graduated height" tuners which allow you to remove the string tree because the tuners go from higher string height to lower string height on the headstock.

the sperzels and some others will require you to drill a small hole on the backside of the headstock to install them. its really easy but it will leave the original hole behind.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Decided to keep the ball end at the tuner, instead of the tremolo.
Keeps it stock and the string change is a little quicker.

Tags
ebanol , locking nut , s540 , s540ltd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode