s540ltd Neck replacement - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

s540ltd Neck replacement

Hey All,

Awesome forum!

I have a an s540ltd in the emerald blue/green color that I bought new in 1993. Its still in mint condition and has always been my favorite looking and playing guitar since I first picked it up in the guitar shop.

It has the (Japan) 22 fret AANJ sharktooth inlay neck and I would really love to switch the neck out for a more subtle looking one. I really like the look of the neck on the s540fm with the simple oval inlays.

I have read a lot about switching necks and I hear that you should stick with the same country make and (obviously the fret #) as well as the neck style.
Has anyone ever done a switchover between these two models? (Or even any 22 fret RG model for that matter?)
If so, was there any drilling or modification required or suggestions?

Thanks,
Vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 02:14 PM

Re: s540ltd Neck replacement

You can only use an AANJ version from another S of same era and of course Japanese.
But there were plenty of AANJ oval inlay versions made so go for it,straight swap.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Hey Corey,

Yeah, I thought it would be easy to find at first but I've been looking around for a few weeks and its actually pretty tough to find just a neck with the oval inlays for sale without spending 5-$600 on a guitar and using its neck.

I know I can only go back to 1992 because it looks like they use the square heel neck before then, but im not sure how much newer I can look to stay in the Japan series and the wizard (original) style that would bolt on and play nice!

This is turning out to be a real adventure...

I wanted to add a couple pics of my LTD with the Sharktooth inlays but I have to have 10 prior posts to do so.. Maybe later
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 03:54 PM

Yeah I learned my lesson with replacement necks, but eventually found what I wanted.
The whole patterns on AANJ Necks are different on MIJ, MIK, necks, and even the depth may be different. I ended up using a neck off of an S470 from 2003, and replaced the Floyd nut with a special nut designed to go in that route. It went on an RV -470 with a Wilkonson VSVG Trem so A locking nut wouldn't do.

I looked for about 8 months before I found this for $105.00 on auction. I bought it from Boyds Guitar Warehouse, and they were very helpful, actually taking measurements for me etc.

One thing, I had other sellers telling me I could use a 24 fret neck and trim off the overhang to fit. It won't work. Most new necks with AANJ are 24 frets, like Perle etc, ( btw he wasn't the one telling me to use 24 frets.).

I only found 4 guys who would make me a custom 22 fret AANJ neck. Dave Bunker of Bunker Guitars used to make the RG usa series for Ibanez, and his Bunker guitars sell replacement necks. Glen Sweetwood of Sweetwood Guitars, and Chris of Christopher Woods Guitars will make a perfect replacement , but it takes a long time, and you have to send the body in, but well worth it. Ed Roman will make an excellent replacement neck also, and again, gotta send in the body.

Good Luck, keep looking and it will pop up.

Last edited by merman_93; 01-28-2015 at 06:32 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny7102 View Post
Hey Corey,

Yeah, I thought it would be easy to find at first but I've been looking around for a few weeks and its actually pretty tough to find just a neck with the oval inlays for sale without spending 5-$600 on a guitar and using its neck.

I know I can only go back to 1992 because it looks like they use the square heel neck before then, but im not sure how much newer I can look to stay in the Japan series and the wizard (original) style that would bolt on and play nice!

This is turning out to be a real adventure...

I wanted to add a couple pics of my LTD with the Sharktooth inlays but I have to have 10 prior posts to do so.. Maybe later
Yes AANJ necks are hard to come by,I personally would buy the whole 2nd guitar and swap necks and then re-sell the 2nd guitar.
Well actually i am lying as it is always impossible for me to sell 540's,always end up keeping them..lol
...but that would be my advice.

I am positive any 22 fret AANJ neck from a MIJ S series/Gambale (up to the point they became Korean Prestige) should definitely work.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merman_93 View Post
Yeah I learned my lesson with replacement necks, but eventually found what I wanted.
The whole patterns on AANJ Necks are different on MIJ, MIK, necks, and even the depth may be different. I ended up using a neck off of an S470 from 2003, and replaced the Floyd nut with a special nut designed to go in that route. It went on an RV -470 with a Wilkonson VSVG Trem so A locking nut wouldn't do.

I looked for about 8 months before I found this for $105.00 on auction. I bought it from Boyds Guitar Warehouse, and they were very helpful, actually taking measurements for me etc.

One thing, I had other sellers telling me I could use a 24 fret neck and trim off the overhang to fit. It won't work. Most new necks with AANJ are 24 frets, like Perle etc, ( btw he wasn't the one telling me to use 24 frets.).

I only found 4 guys who would make me a custom 22 fret AANJ neck. Dave Bunker of Bunker Guitars used to make the RG usa series for Ibanez, and his Bunker guitars sell replacement necks. Glen Sweetwood of Sweetwood Guitars, and Chris of Christopher Woods Guitars will make a perfect replacement , but it takes a long time, and you have to send the body in, but well worth it. Ed Roman will make an excellent replacement neck also, and again, gotta send in the body.

Good Luck, keep looking and it will pop up.
They were referring to square heal necks,which is correct......square heal RG necks are exactly the same as S square heal necks as the last 2 frets are an over hang. But yeah,AANJ obviously cannot be converted....this includes newer square heals from a few years back...the heal butts up right under the 22nd(S)/24th(RG) fret.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Yeah Corey, I'm with you on picking up a 2nd guitar and parting it out. However I know myself quite well and if I were to get another 540 that had a nice feeling and looking neck, (and as long as it weren't some ugly putrid mangled hunk of junk) I would simply end up being the proud owner of two s's and would have this nagging conflict of which one to play every day-with my current 540ltd still having the Sharktooth inlay neck on it!

I personally like having only one (electric guitar) option to choose from, it just makes things simpler.

Also, being that my 540 is in pretty mint condition, I dont think I want to sell the sharktooth neck in the event that I keep it all really clean for another 20 years.. where the guitar would be worth some $$ in its original state.

I can honestly say I haven't seen many ugly s-series guitars from that era and my best bet would be to have an 93 MIJ oval inlay 540 neck fall from the sky and land on eBay!
But I do have my eye on a couple nice looking '93 s's on craigslist and even found a '93 540 in light maple with the oval inlays and the "Custom Made" inlay on 21 - which surprisingly I really like the simple clean look of. Though the maple would totally change the look.
Hmm, decisions!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Just giving an update here on the oval inlay replacement neck for my 540... After 8 months of searching about every shop and auction site known to man, I finally just found the exact neck I've been looking for on the bay. Paid a small fortune but its an oval inlay MIJ from the same year, pocket profile, 22 fret count, "Custom Made" inlay, and in mint condition.

Really jacked to see it and put it together... I'll be posting pics as soon as I make the switch!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 04:04 AM

Winner!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Well guys, Sorry for the late late update. For anyone curious about the neck switch... Everything went perfectly and my 540LTD still sounds and plays awesome. I need to post 2 more times before I can send a pic... Here's 1

Tags
1993 , aanj , neck replacement , s540ltd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode