S5470 bridge swap - sustain issue gone - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

S5470 bridge swap - sustain issue gone

I know the sustain issue on S5470's has been around on this site and the Ibanez forum pretty much since the guitar came out. Many people have suggested dozens of different fixes (some silly, some not so).

My post-2009 (when they introduced a new middle pickup) S5470 doesn't sustain well post-12th fret and the notes always decayed quickly, even without the ceramic-magnet middle pickup.

I decided to swap the bridge with an Edge Zero that was in my RG, it fits fine, plenty of clearance. The guitar now the guitar sustains so much better and doesn't have the odd note decay playing on the higher frets. Yay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 10:52 PM

Re: S5470 bridge swap - sustain issue gone

This is very useful to know actually.

For me, while the ZR bridges have rock solid tuning stability and are quite ergonomic - it was always evident to me that they sap so much tone. I think this is also true of the SynchroniZR too as my SV5470 doesn't ring out as true as my Lo-Pro Edge Sabres. Thank goodness the ZR line has been replaced with the Lo-Pro Edge.

Out of interest, did you have to mod the guitar much or was is a simply direct swap? Do the Edge Zero posts drop right in to the ZR threads?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahogany_sabre View Post
For me, while the ZR bridges have rock solid tuning stability and are quite ergonomic - it was always evident to me that they sap so much tone. I think this is also true of the SynchroniZR too as my SV5470 doesn't ring out as true as my Lo-Pro Edge Sabres. Thank goodness the ZR line has been replaced with the Lo-Pro Edge.
Like yourself I love the stability and feel of the ZR2, although to be honest my Edge Zero with lubed posts/knife edges returns to pitch really well anyway. The reason I got the idea of changing the trem was actually because I'd heard people say SynchroniZR guitars also had the sustain problem, and yet the EGEN18 (basically just a S5470 with an Edge Zero) didn't.

Admittedly now my RG has the ZR2 in it it sustains like crap, but I don't even care because my S5470 sings so beautifully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahogany_sabre View Post
Out of interest, did you have to mod the guitar much or was is a simply direct swap? Do the Edge Zero posts drop right in to the ZR threads?
The routes for Edge Zero and ZR2 are very slightly different, but both trems fit both routes perfectly so it doesn't really matter. And yes the threads for the posts are exactly the same. Also the ZR2 and Edge Zero have different sustain blocks - the ZR2's is a little bigger and weighs 80g vs 73g on the Edge Zero, but they both fit both routes.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the tip. Got any pics of your work?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

I can't upload the pics on Jemsite - every time I try to attach one to my post it says "[filename] is not a valid image file" (I have had this problem for months when trying to add photos to a post). If you dm me an e-mail address I could e-mail you them it's just that I don't have a photobucket etc account.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 05:10 PM

Best to use a photo upload file service like flikr or postimage and then paste the upload link in your post.

Tags
edge zero , s5470 , sustain , zr2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode