S5470 review for Jem/RG Owners - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

S5470 review for Jem/RG Owners

Sorry, no pics yet and I can't review the pickups yet.
I have had the guitar about a month now, so here are the bullet points on the new 24 fret S5470, slanted towards Jem/RG owners.

1. Body:
The EGEN18 funny looking grip is most likely a blessing, grabbing the S5470 by the horn is not comfortable at all. Jem and RG horn is plenty maneuverable. Monkey Grip is a god send.

Upper cut away is not as large as a Jem/RG but is still quite assessable.

Mahogany is truly fantastic, I noticed that my RG2027's had much better low end presence than my Universes, this was a motivating factor in getting the S5470. The guitar is acoustically louder than my Jem and RG and really has better fundamental tone. It almost sounds like it's chambered it's so loud.
Although Serial number states 2008, the guitar was manufactured in 2007.
I think I got really lucky and got an outstanding piece of Mahogany.
In the tone woods post/faq, the body has all the great characteristics.
I got the SOL and it's purty.

2: Whammy Bar:
I really tried to like the stop bar in it. The idea of breaking a string and staying in tune has its appeal. It basically adds two more springs when you press down, increasing the tension quite a bit. When you whammy up and down, you can feel the stop point (although it's really nice that even with the stop bar you can pull up to your heart's content). You have a feeling that feeling that zero stop point is going to cause noise but it doesn't. If you pull up on it and let it go, you get a little clunk. Out of luck if you want flutter.

I took the stop bar out, basically because I had too many years in on Edge/EdgePro. With the stop bar out, if feels almost identical to an Edge.
I dare say, it is even a little smoother than an Edge.
Intonation adjustment is much easier than an Edge.
Spring adjustment with a wheel is much easier than screwdriver.
Not having to nail polish whammy washers is very nice.
The bar tension being adjustable is great, no play.
This is a top notch bridge that should put up with a lot of abuse and not wear out a knife edge since it is ball bearing. No tuning issues with the stop bar out, stable or more stable than an Edge.
If you rely on flutter with your technique, you can get some, but will be disappointed.

3. Neck:
As far as six string Ibanez's go, I have a Jem 90HAM with Ebony, a '97 RG550 with Maple and now the S5470 with Rosewood. I've never been a big fan of rosewood, even though 90 percent of my guitars have it.
However, Rosewood board on a Mahogany body really sounds good. Notes up top are full of life and the overall sustain of the S5470 is fantastic, better than my Jem and RG.
The fretwork is impeccable, the best I have gotten out of the box from Ibanez. For that fact, the intonation was correct out of the box, so was the trem angle. Again, I think the early run of these may be the gems.
I like wafer thin necks, the HAM and the 550 are 17mm at the nut/first fret.
I like the nothingness of scarf joint, but the volute doesn't get in your way at all. At, 18mm it's plenty thin and has a great feel. No string tree, if this thing had sperzels on it, string changes would be 5 minutes.

4. Overall:
I'll get pics and pickup reviews soon, but this is a great guitar, $1299 street price with a GREAT case. Allen wrench holder in the head stock is sweet, the intonation tool and having the offset saddle anchor screw for easy access is great. This guitar is a cherished part of the guitar forest now. If I have to replace the pickups (first thing I did with the RG550 and RG2027's) I will not be bummed.
Extremely comfortable body and neck, great tone and easier to setup than your standard Jem/RG. It is the perfect gig guitar. The stop bar is good insurance but I would suggest taking it out if you are use to an Edge.
Happy Camper I.
--nota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 04:13 PM

Re: S5470 review for Jem/RG Owners

freaking sweet I've got a TKS on the way
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:41 PM

cool, Im thinking of getting one, but the other day I was reading the ibanez forums and they said nothing good about this guitar and also most of the owners said it lacked sustain, anyways Im saving up for one =)
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 11:21 PM

Great review.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 12:50 PM

So I suppose this 'lack of sustain' thing is just a myth?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:11 PM

Is the stop bar the smaller thumbwheel?

If you do a decent amount of trem work, is it best to take the stop bar out or just move it back a little?

Thanks.

Last edited by austintx05; 04-26-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 05:47 AM

Reviews: 12

because of this review, I went ahead and got one earlier... definitely a solid guitar.

stock S5470 next to a friend's S2020X with Paf Pro + D-Sonic

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 04-27-2008 at 05:18 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post
Is the stop bar the smaller thumbwheel?

If you do a decent amount of trem work, is it best to take the stop bar out or just move it back a little?

Thanks.
The thumb wheel adjusts the spring tension on the main springs (two).
The stop bar is independent of that and has an additional two springs.
Moving the stop bar from its zero point defeats its purpose.
The whammy feels a lot smoother without the stop bar and doesn't have any tuning issues without it, you just go out of tune if you break a string.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:44 AM

I got an SOL from Rich about 2 months ago. I LOVE it to death. Best guitar i've owned by far.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 AM

Reviews: 4

Anybody with a user guide to the ZR/EZ trem?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:56 AM

I received my s5470 last week and as much as I was excited about it, after a week of playing, i'm returning it this week.
The guitar itself feels great and is very easy/smooth to play on. Also, I agree with just about everything posted in the review.
However, the 'myth' about the sustain is sadly not a myth at all.
This morning I compared it to my s470 DXQM with stock pups and there really is no comparison. The sustain on the s5470 dies off in about 3 - 5 seconds. It just get choked out. Now on the s470, the sustain lasts 20+ seconds.
This is played on the 19th fret on the B string, same attack, same pressure, straight up cable swap with no settings changed.
I guess it depends on what style you play whether or not this will make a difference for you, but sadly for me it does make a big difference.
Very dissapointing, I guess I'm going to look for a JS or a JEM now...
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 PM

I got my S5470 TKS a few weeks ago and it's not going anywhere, incredible guitar. I've noticed weak sustain on the upper register too but it's not too bad actually.
I bet it's the single coil with the increased magnet pull, that thing's got a lot of pull and it doesn't even sound good so it's coming out, as well as the other pickups. I'm going DiMarzio and only time will tell after the pickup swap.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:12 PM

yea, once i changed the stock pickups, the sustain difference for me was minimal between my s470dxqm and my s5470 and everything else about the s5470 was way better than the 470. I love this thing.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM

did you change just the single coil ? or both H's and S ?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledToArms View Post
yea, once i changed the stock pickups, the sustain difference for me was minimal between my s470dxqm and my s5470 and everything else about the s5470 was way better than the 470. I love this thing.
Hey dude, yeah I agree it's gotta be the electronics. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the sustain when playing unplugged. It sustains just as good as any other high end guitar I've played but truth is when you're plugged in notes decay a little to quickly in the higher frets.
It kind of makes no sense at first but then you just realize it's gotta be the pickups or the pots.

Tags
allen wrench , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , intonation tool , mahogany body , monkey grip , paf pro , rosewood board , scarf joint , standard jem , string tree

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode