S570DXQM Pickup Upgrade - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

S570DXQM Pickup Upgrade

I did a search, but there are so many different threads, I wasn't sure where to even BEGIN looking:

If I wanted to upgrade the stock INF pickups on a H-S-H configuration, what would you guys suggest?

I'm looking for a combination that is versatile, but keeping with high, bright output.

Was looking at Evo (B) and Breed (N), but don't know what I would put in the single coil, and I'm worried I would lose too many mids/low ends.

Metal style is what I NORMALLY play.

So, what works well for you S Owners out there?

Any suggestions? Ask any questions if you need specifics.

Thanks in advance, and cheers, all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:12 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: S570DXQM Pickup Upgrade

tone zone / air norton. Tried and true combo...

evo's are a bit thin for metal, and breeds are kinda harsh for a neck pickup (in my humble opinion).
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for the fast response - Ill go check those out.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

TZ + AN for the Humbuckers. Suggestions for the SC, or just remove it, and take it out of the equation?

Or do you mean Twin TZ's for the humbuckers, and the Norton for the Single Coil?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 06:24 PM

Reviews: 2

love the TZ/AN humbucker suggestion as long as he's not looking to play death metal. If you do go with the TZ/AN Erase, I would use either an injector bridge (DP423) or an Air Norton-S (DP180). I've heard very good things about the ToneZone-S (DP189), but I haven't gotten to try one yet...........soon though!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
love the TZ/AN humbucker suggestion as long as he's not looking to play death metal. If you do go with the TZ/AN Erase, I would use either an injector bridge (DP423) or an Air Norton-S (DP180). I've heard very good things about the ToneZone-S (DP189), but I haven't gotten to try one yet...........soon though!!!
No Death Metal, so I'm thinking this might work for me, I just dont know if I am splitting between 1 TZ and 1 N, or 2 TZ's and 1 single coil N
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 06:42 PM

I would go TZ-bridge, AN-middle, AN-neck, but that's just me. It will have great tonal versatility.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 06:48 PM

Reviews: 120

Sorry is this a mahogany bodied S. TZ might be a bit too muddy in mahogany.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Sorry is this a mahogany bodied S. TZ might be a bit too muddy in mahogany.
you think? It sounded pretty good in my 3120, but mine is neck-thru so the pup is mounted in maple as opposed to the mah. good catch Stephan!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:57 PM

Reviews: 120

It could well do. And it's Stephen.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 11:08 PM

I have an Air Norton (Neck) and an evolution (Bridge) in my S470 (almost the same guitar). The Evolution sounds beautiful in it, very FULL sounding leads.

The Air Norton is also very good for leads and jazz lead and chords (with the tone rolled down). But i find it flabs out on the low E and some A strings when there's distortion piled on it... maybe i just have to lower the pickup height?

This combo is very much a lead orientated setup, but i must say the evo sounds loverly in the mahogany.

Toodles Julz.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasetheprocess View Post
I did a search, but there are so many different threads, I wasn't sure where to even BEGIN looking:

If I wanted to upgrade the stock INF pickups on a H-S-H configuration, what would you guys suggest?

I'm looking for a combination that is versatile, but keeping with high, bright output.

Was looking at Evo (B) and Breed (N), but don't know what I would put in the single coil, and I'm worried I would lose too many mids/low ends.

Metal style is what I NORMALLY play.

So, what works well for you S Owners out there?

Any suggestions? Ask any questions if you need specifics.

Thanks in advance, and cheers, all!
We don't know what is sweet to your ears, only ours. That, plus you've searched and don't know where to begin--you need to let DiMarzio pick them for you. Just plug in your prefs and guitar material:
http://dimarzio.com/site/#/pickuppicker/

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
We don't know what is sweet to your ears, only ours. That, plus you've searched and don't know where to begin--you need to let DiMarzio pick them for you. Just plug in your prefs and guitar material:
http://dimarzio.com/site/#/pickuppicker/
Well I feel like an idiot, and a bit of a noob to admit this, but I had been to Dimarzio's site about a hundred times before I finally noticed the "SOUND" tab, where you can actually hear demos...

Guess I have some homework to do...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 04:47 PM

tere is no major difference
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 08:32 PM

May I suggest the Chopper in the middle. I just finished installing one in my Saber. Its an H-S-S configuration. I had a Tone Zone (S) in the middle and that was a big mistake I made. Its sounded like a trian wreck combined with my Air Zone Humbucker (bridge), and Air Norton (S) (neck). The Chopper is a nice compliment to the air norton and Air Zone. These three are all very close in output level and resistance, and they mesh well when playing chords and picking clean. When dirty soloing the norton is slightly fatter than the Chopper. But thats what I was looking for.
Thats my two cents.

Tags
h-s-h , pickup , pups , saber , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode