Is the S7420 worth it? - I need to back up my UV, and I want - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Is the S7420 worth it? - I need to back up my UV, and I want

... But not too different.
The S7420 is Japanese made, as I recall, but it has a Lo-TRS 7 trem. I'm not going to being doing as wild of trem work with this one, so the stiff-ness isn't a big issue.
My questions are:
Does it stay in tune with moderate trem use, like half step bends and fifth drops?
I've played a few, and they felt good, the neck seemed bigger, more Wizard II like, even though it was reinforced, which I liked.
Do you think it'd be worth $800 new. I know it's a great price versus the list, but is it a great price for a guitar of that quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 05:14 AM

Is the S7420 worth it?

What pickups does it have? I don't think that the TRS is such a bad trem, or at least not as bad as most people say it is. It's just not as good as an edge, and a locking trem is a locking trem, so there shouldn't be any problems really...

It's a cool guitar, and it's different, and does look cool. I was tempted to get one myself, as i have a sabre and really like it playability wise and comfort wise... Play it and if you like it go for it.

That's all anyone can really say I guess, I can't really help on the pricing except saying that if you lived in england that 800$ would be a steal :biggrin: ! From what I've heard the only real complaint seems to be that it has a trs7 trem... And if you can live with that then the rest of the guitar should be good quality...but I suppose the best way to decide is to trust your own judgement...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 10:15 AM

Is the S7420 worth it?

Hmm, when I picked one up the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the trem was "piece of crap". *Then I realized I was picking up the cheapo model and I found the 76xx which was much nicer trem and pickup wise. *I'd steer away from it unless it's the only thing you can afford. *I don't even use the trem but I can't stand having this cheezy metal chunk on my guitar, plus the pickups stink.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 11:09 AM

Is the S7420 worth it?

Don't get the S7420. *The trs goes out of tune too easily. *You can find a RG7620, with the Dimarzio pups and Edge bridge for the same price. *

(Edited by Polaris20 at 10:10 am on Aug. 16, 2001)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Is the S7420 worth it?

The 7620 is too much like a cheap version of the Universe, with no neck. Super Wizard necks are like fretboards with truss rods inside them. That's a big reason I decided toget rid of my 570. I said I wanted something different. Different body wood, different tone. Different shape, different feel.
Stock pickups are irrelevent. The only guitar I've kept stock is my UV. New 7 pickups are instant gooey tone. I'll probably just throw a TOne Zone 7 in the bridge on whatever I decide to get and call it finished.

My question is will the trem even WORK? I don't care how it looks. Will it stay in tune reasonably well with a bit of vibrato?
Some say the TRS goes out of tune. Others say it doesn't. Are you speaking from experience with THIS EXACT GUITAR MODEL? Because I wouldn't expect a korean made guitar to stand up to trem use because of the inferior neck woods, but the S7420 is Japanese made, and the neck is reinforced.

I realise that compared to an Edge the TRS is "Piece crap," but an original Floyd is a piece of crap compared to an Edge.
My main question is; is it a good quality guitar?
I bought a Fernandes on ebay(turned out to be a scam, but that's beside the point) *and it was poorly constructed and the neck felt terrible. Plus, the trem had 4 springs on it, making it almost immobile, and it would NOT stay in tune.

I'm looking for a decent guitar for a backup.
I want something different, IE not basswood and RG/UV body shape.
I'm not looking for a great guitar. If I really want to, I can always have the body routed for an edge.
What I really want is one of the S series with the blaze pickups and HSS configuration, (though I'd prefer HSH) but those sell for near UV prices.
Maybe I'll just get and Overdrive Supreme Mod amp...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 03:22 PM

Reviews: 3
Is the S7420 worth it?

"The 7620 is too much like a cheap version of the Universe"

Maybe so, but the 7420 is a very cheap version of the 7620. *So...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 10:12 PM

Is the S7420 worth it?

Dude, the 7420 has the same fricken neck as the RG7620. *So don't buy either if you don't like the neck. *They are both the Wizard. *And for that matter, the current Universe has very little difference with the current Wizard. Look at the 2001 Ibanez catalog specs. *The TRS is crap, from experience, and I don't use the trem that much in the first place. *Why do you post a question when you already have the "answer" in your mind? *Ask anyone on here, the TRS is crap, wether you use a trem or not. *IT DOES NOT STAY IN TUNE. *I bought and sold a 7420 inside of 6 weeks, and took a $200 hit, because the TRS sucks. *Hows that for personal experience?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Is the S7420 worth it?

The RG7420 has a Wizard 7 II neck, the RG7620 has a Wizard 7 or Super Wizard 7. The S7420 felt more like a Wizard II. Wizard II, Wizard and Super Wizard get progressivly thinner, especially in the high side. Go pick up a UV777BK and then pick up a Grey Pewter 7620 and tell me they're the same. Yeah, I have the catologue, and it's not true. They are very different necks.
I'm asking about the S series 7420. You know, the thin, mahogany ones? So it's NOT a cheap version of the 7620, it's a cheap version of the old HSS one.
I'm asking about THAT SPECIFIC MODEL OF GUITAR! You bought and sold an S7420, or an RG7420? The RG is made in korea, as I recall, and so has lower quality control standards, more shipping through more varied climates, etc, etc. Most TRS equiped guitars are crap before they put that trem on it, and the neck's stability is a big part of the equation.
I DON'T have the answer in my mind. That doesn't even make sense! Why are you being an 'ace in the hole'?
Ask anyone here, the 555 isn't a Jem, but it is a decent guitar for the money, it has the TRS which sucks BECAUSE REAL JEMS HAVE EDGE TREMS. They say 'look for a good one, then buy THAT ONE, because quality control suck in the Korean plant." Get it? Korean Ibanezes suck. Just shut up, you're being antagonistic and immature.

You know what?
Forget you.
Whenever I ask a simple question people skim it and tell me how stupid I am when they didn't even read the whole d*** post. Either that or they say, "no, you must mean this," like I don't know sh** about guitars because I have fewer little dots.

7 Dying Trees is the only one with a nice well thought out non-flame-esque post, and he's never played one. But then, neither have any of you.

PS, I censored myself, out of respect for the one good thing about this place, real moderation.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 07:28 AM

Is the S7420 worth it?

Well, the problem here is that on many things you are incorrect. *I'm not trying to give you a hard time, its just that you are wrong. *The RG7620 has a Wizard neck. *Not Super or II, but the regular Wizard. *This is what I now own. *

S7420- TRS, V7 pups, made in Japan
RG7420- TRS V7 pups, made in Japan

I owned the RG7420, but the only difference between the S7420 and the RG7420 is the body. *They are both made in Japan. *If you don't believe me, go to the "guitars" section on this website, and see fo yourself what I'm telling you. *
The only reason I'm posting is because I don't want you to make a mistake. *
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 07:29 AM

Is the S7420 worth it?

I have got maybe a bit more info if you want it:

When I first went shopping for a 7string a while back, I sort of had a look round + talked to some of the people I know round there. The one place that sells 7strings (or did then, there's a few more now) wouldn't let you touch them unless you had the money (due to people coming in and "touching" the curiousity (there still aren't that many of them, I have seen a very beat up uv7bk (headstock with no logo, painted black, so many dings that it looks like a DBK) going for 1900$, which is cheap (due to the state of it), so I just asked about what he advised. I believe they had an RG7620,S series7 and the UV777. He actually said he thought that the S sreies was the best one out of the lot for value for money, and also, (i was quite surprised by this) for playability, as he liked the thicker chunkier neck. I think this is the S7420, as it had 2 humbuckers (and the one before has a H S S). And I do actually trust this guy (the shop he works in has a couple of people who will tell you that something is good because it costs more). This guy is a guitar player, and I find that here in london that because not many top of the range guitars appear, and because of how expensive they are here (we pay 1.5 to 2 times as much as you guys stateside, for almost everything) people tend to go for stuff that they think is good value for money. And value for money was the original question, i believe.

To be honest, yes, the edge trem is very good, but i still don't mind playing with floyd roses. Sure the TRS doesn't stand up as well to abuse like the edge does, but for normal moderate use (the occsional dive bomb, pull up) it handles OK, especially ifyou are OK with floyd roses. I imagine the 7string version is much the same. I've played the warlock7, and that has a floyd7, and the pull up and range aren't incredible, but it does OK, which is all I'd expect from a guitar to be used as back up. The shape + fell of a sabre is nice, the sound is quite cool (22fret neck, i presume, like the 6string) and it plays nicely. I'd consider getting one if i liked the neck.

I agree that it is nothing like an RG series, sabres are just different. So as something that's a deprture in wood/feel/etc, then I'd say that that's what you are probably looking for. Play it, and if you like it go for it. Sure the trem isn't as good as an edge, but hey, it's all about how the neck feels and the tone in the end, and I believe that s series are mahogony (correct me if I am wrong).

And if you decide you don't like the trem, you can always get it converted to an edge system with some routing as a small project later on. So i would say it's value for money, even if the trem is considered to be "inferior". Just remember that most other 7's use floyd rose systems, and not the edge, and people still buy them. Just because something is deemed best doesn't mean that everything else is a pile of wank. If it's japanese made, then the meterial quality should be good. Try it, and if like it, buy it. 800$ doesn't sound bad to me.

I hope this helps...

Don't worry, I sometimes get frustrated by some of the responses (or lack of) I get, but I know that sometimes I don't give the best response either. But on the whole I get quite a bit out of this site in some ways...(Even if i do contribute crap every so often ) Just to make a point as well, I am not flaming anyone here, nor do i ever intend to.

On a side note, GZeusEcchiQryst, you got an examples of the stuff you play? Wouldn't mind hearing it (I remember you saying something about wacky costumes on stage and stuff).

Sorry if this turned into a bit of a chaotic rant, Peace and all that stuff,

James
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 07:31 AM

Is the S7420 worth it?

Go out and buy the guitar you like. *Bottom line is, do you like it or not? *You asked about the TRS, I answered, you didn't like the answer. *Sorry. *

(Edited by Polaris20 at 6:35 am on Aug. 17, 2001)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Is the S7420 worth it?

I asked about the TRS on the S7420.
You told me about the TRS on the RG7420.
Pick up a new 7620, then pick up a 7420, then pick up a S7420, then tell me they all have the same neck.
The accuracy of those catologues is terrible. I can hardly belive you've owned both a 7420 and a 7620 and not noticed the very different feel.
I'm NOT wrong. I'm p***ed off because you came in here with NO information relevant to my question and started talking about how the TRS sucks. You can't judge a just the trem on a guitar. You'd need to put it in a GOOD guitar and see how it works.
You answered a question that I didn't ask, so just shut up and pay attention.

Shut the **** up, J***-off.

(Edited by GZeusEcchiQryst at 10:56 am on Aug. 17, 2001)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Is the S7420 worth it?

Thanks, 7 Dying Trees, for yet another well thought out, well reasoned post. I play alot of Carcass/L7 type music, and have a desire to play jazz, and combine them. I try my best to look flashy and/orloud (colors, I mean, hence my UV777BK and my desire to own a GR), the other guitarist dresses like a greasy death metal guy, the bass player wears a blaze orange suit and sunglasses, like a secret service agent. Agent Orange.
Once we can get a drummer, we'll play largly instrumental grindcore, in a style similar to very eary Mr Bungle. That's in VXhale. We are also another band, same members, The working name is Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, and we play alot more poppy stuff, Duran Duran/Chicago.
We'd like another singer, I can barely play and sing.
We have the core of the band, principle songwriters and musicians but we need a drummer and lead singer.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 10:13 AM

Is the S7420 worth it?

Ah! The missing band members! Have had this problem for years now...

No, I know what you mean by wanting weird loud different guitars, the older i get the more bizzare my tastes seem to people. Green is good. But so is lots of flourescent colours, and swirly things, although some people seem to think it clashes with the death/thrash/black metal image...

good drummers are hard to find, i have seen bands using a PC on stage instead of a drummer. Although I wouldn't trust a wndows operating system...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 10:33 AM

Is the S7420 worth it?

Sorry dude, I didn't read carefully. *I assumed you were talking about RG7420 because I never consider anything that starts with 's'. *My bad.
Closed Thread

Tags
blaze pickups , body shape , death metal , dimarzio pups , edge bridge , edge trem , edge trems , floyd rose , fret neck , ibanez catalog , jackson soloist , richie sambora , super wizard neck , tone zone , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode