S770FM - Worth its money? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

S770FM - Worth its money?

Hi Everybody!

Sorry for the new thread! I'm searching for a new guitar. I'm playing only at home, so I don't need a high cost guitar, I just would like a good, durable, (nice ), 24 frets guitar with tremolo, (and I like the H-S-H pickup solution). My upper cost limit is $700. I've got a Squier Stratocaster now, and I would like an upper level guitar.
I was searching a lot, I searched for other brands also, but I really wish an Ibanez guitar. I look out the RG1570 first, but it costs too much for me, for home music. And then, I saw this new S770FM. (Unfortunately I couldn't post a link, because I'm a newbie. But it's on all European sites of Ibanez, check for example the Hungarian one (I saw it there).)
Love at first look. It's a little bit more expensive than the limit ($840), but I'm at piece with it now. My problem is, that I saw, that it made in Indonesia. Is it a problem? Will I happy with this guitar, or it's quality is not so good? It's a big money for me, so I don't want to throw it out on the window. Or maybe should I choose an other type, or maybe an other brand for this money? I don't know. I became doubtful.
(Some salesman really would like to talk me out of buying a "cheap" Ibanez, because the lack of it's quality, and if I don't want to take a Japanese one, then I should rather buy a Cort, or LTD, or I don't know. I don't want to believe it...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:10 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: S770FM - Worth its money?

Welcome to the forum and please don't apologize for creating a new thread. That's what forums are for! You can find an awesome guitar within that price limit. There are always 80's/90's/early 2000s RG550s and 570s. You can also find a 1570 in the price range used.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornstar70 View Post
Welcome to the forum and please don't apologize for creating a new thread. That's what forums are for! You can find an awesome guitar within that price limit. There are always 80's/90's/early 2000s RG550s and 570s. You can also find a 1570 in the price range used.
I would definatly go the route of trying to find a 80s/90s rg if you are worried about the indonesia aspect. They are awesome guitars, and you can find them usually for about 400-500 in pretty good condition. Only thing I would make sure to do is play anything be before buying if possible (obviously thats not possible if you were to buy from someone here or something like that). Good luck!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips! I started to search for used one from these types. This RG550 and 570 looks fine also. The only problem is that I felt love with this S770.

By the way: has anybody a newer S670 (let me say from 2009)? Could he/she tell a few word about it? Is he/she pleased or disappointed? As I see, it's the ancestor of the S770. Just to get a full picture, before I switch to an other type.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:52 PM

I am very satisfied with my s670FM, 2009 model. You can read my NGD thread for more insight: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ng...oot-95506.html

The only problems my guitar have are the frets which aren't really level, but that'll be sorted once I find a Luthier I'm comfortable sending the guitar to, and the pickups. Although they are good, it's just not the sound I'm really after. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of buying a new computer, so until I sort that, the new pickups for the guitar will have to wait.

As far as the rest go, great finish, good construction, the trem is great, the guitar is really light which for me is a big plus. The only trouble I see with the S770 are the inlays. I much prefer the inlays on the S670
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

If this is the inlays are the only trouble, that's a very good news, 'cause I much more prefer this one, than the S670's.

Thanks! Good news. I think, the frets should be enough durable for my play.

Anyway, I'm searching some used RG, maybe I found a deal, which I can't skip. But if not, then this is my way. (I love the slim body of the S-series...)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:28 PM

Yup. When I bought mine I tried a few RGs as well. Just didn't feel as comfortable to play as the Saber, so if the inlays are no an issue for you, then I'd say go ahead and get it
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:52 PM

I've read that if it's from Indonesia, it's made in a Samick factory by Samick employees. They're still good guitars. My S320WK(200 and S7320(2009) are from Indonesia. Maybe it's my luck but both of them had arrived with near-perfect fretwork(S320), neck relief, etc all adjustments verified good. Although I was a little offended with the frets on S320 snagging off my leg hairs at first but that's just a personal problem. The fretwork on the S320 has been trounced on for over a year old which had endured countless shred/dive bombing assaults in all areas of the fretboard and its all still good. However the S7320 -made in Indonesia- arrived with no personal complaints whatsoever. Go get that guitar dood!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 06:03 AM

Dear Viper , as good as samick factory is you are still not 100 % sure, I know this post is a bit late BUT .. I've bought the guitar and its is worth the money - DON'T FORGET to pay for extra setup if necessary - from that point on if the feel is good you can always play with the sound..
Mine was a bit tricky .. very high strings and intonation problems- guitar bought from the only Ibanez distributer in Greece (I'm greek that's why) and they don't do service for their guitar.. speaking of customer insurance

However, every guitar has its pros and cons so keeping it real , try to fix what u can .. IT IS A QUALITY GUITAR worth its price.

Or u can save up to 200-300 E and buy made in japan (and still run setups etc.)

Tags
s770

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode