SA and AT models - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

SA and AT models

Surprisingly, it looks like noone notices those new models in the SA series like the SA1260 Prestige and the Andy Timmons models, which looks like modded SAs anyway.

The main advantage of the SA160 is the perfect playability and comfort, thanks to the light weight. How are these pricier models compared to the first SA160 pieces with the mahogany body (they started using nato now) in terms of sound and weight?

I also found a deal for an S1620 for 800euros. It says it's a 10/07/2004 model with the ZR trem, but they have been already discussed here for their increased mass/weight, and I hope this isn't the case with the new SA models. What a pity the SC models are no more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 12:30 PM

You might want to look under the appropriate topic since these guitars are actually Prestige models

AT300 thread: http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=32896

The differences between the AT300 and the S1620 have also been discussed at length:

-The AT300 is NOT an "S" body. It's more of an arched-RG with rounded horns (similar to a rounded RG-ARCH1)
-The AT300 has completely different electronics & control setup
-The Wilkinson/Gotoh bridge on the AT300 has a very different feel than the cheesy SAT Pro
-Then there are little things like a completely different neck, the inlays, Sperzel locking tuners, etc.

More here:http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...&start=175
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 01:47 PM

In photographs (and thus, in the catalogs, where most people get their first exposure to a new model), these two guitars are more alike than they are different.

More subtle differences may be apparent with the guitars in your hands, but 90% of players will not get that opportunity, because the dealers won't carry a guitar that superficially looks very close to a guitar that sells for $1000 less.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 01:54 PM

Yup-there's simply no arguing that the front shots do look very similar. That's just poor marketing on Ibanez' part and one more reason that the AT300 probably will not sell terribly well.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 02:02 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
that is a nice comparison shot (of two decent looking axes).

unfortunately it's also another indictment on the ineptitude of ibanez marketing & pricing. to many the cheaper axe is insufficient, whereas the pricier AT is well "overpriced" ... glen
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 02:53 PM

wow, this is a really beautiful guitar!!!!!!

Do you think it is suited for metal?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 03:27 PM

The AT300 is certainly a very versatile guitar, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it as a metal axe. It's terrific for blues and fusion, and is a great all-around rock guitar. But, if you're focus is metal, I'd still stick with an RG-type model.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

So I guess the AT300 is not a feather-light guitar like the SA160... what about the SA1260? Even HC has only one review about it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:39 AM

I know this has probably been answered but why are two of the screws that hold the bridge in missing? I know that on the vintage fenders there is a screw for every string.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:18 AM

It's probably for much the same reason that the JEM has a Monkey Grip. The guitar is a signature model and I suppose that that's the way Andy Timmons likes his trems. It's not at all uncommon to remove the middle (4) screws on vintage Strat trems (in fact, I've been doing that for a good 10 years or so). It changes the feel a bit, but it's all down to personal preferences in the end.

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...&start=140
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:48 AM

Couldn't they get the volume knob on the AT300 any closer to the bridge pickup?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:52 AM

Again- it's a signature model designed with/by the artist. Mr. Timmons was doing some mean pedal-steel swells when demoing the Mesa Stiletto amps at Winter NAMM. The volume knob placement definitely makes those swells much more comfortable to perform.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 11:20 AM

The volume control is pretty much where it is on a Strat. Personally, i like having my volume control close enough that i can do pinky swells without having to stretch. But if you're not into that sort of thing, i can see how it would be ergonomically inappropriate for some players.

vaijem777, could you snap a few photos of your AT that show the body shape a bit better?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 11:42 AM

It's a bit dark, but:

I'll try to get a side-profile pic this weekend. It's basically the same width/thickness as an RG. Of course, the fact that it has a standard RG-style input jack would show that it's considerably thicker than a standard "S" body
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:49 PM

Obviously I was being facetious, but the knob very nearly covers a bit of the pickup cavity. As an artist model I'm sure it's exactly where Andy likes it, it just takes an odd photo. I'd be surprised if you could jimmy a pickup ring on that humbucker without moving the knob.
At any rate, it was a whimsical observation and not meant to spark a discussion, so I'll just back out now.....

Tags
andy timmons , andy timmons model , beautiful guitar , body shape , bridge pickup , locking tuners , mahogany body , monkey grip , pickup cavity , pickup ring , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , strat trem , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode