SA Series 2006- genuine attention? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

SA Series 2006- genuine attention?

after looking at the marked upgrade in the bridge make (SAT Pro) as well as the inclusion of the Pat Pending True Duo humbucker, one would wonder if the SA series are being geared up to move up the Ibanez hierarchy...

what's everyone's opinion on this, especially those of you who have played/ bought this year's offerings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:51 PM

Re: SA Series 2006- genuine attention?

The guitars look very nice, they play well, and the SAT Pro bridge is very nice BUT the guitars really sound like crap with the stock pickups. Those True Duo humbuckers are just HORRIBLE!!! I mean, the single coil sound isn't bad at all but the humbucker sound is just so horrible that it made me want to stop playing the guitar. It was a real letdown because the guitars are freakin' gorgeous and from the batch that I played it seems like they've made the necks a bit less chunky because they feel more like Fender necks than baseball bats.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

makes us wonder if the people behind the R&D are truly guitar proponents or just novelty merchants...
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 09:01 PM

i played one of the cheap sa guitars(and others) and was impressed with the playablity feel and look . the pickups were crap though . The infinity pickups aren't too horrible but the sa line pickups suck . I am digging the duncan designed pickups that ibanez is using in the sz line . I have played a few duncan models and hated them but the ones in the Sz are really really good stock pickups .
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 09:36 PM

You know... a fixed bridge SA or Edge equipped SA with HSS would totally rock.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 09:49 PM

I agree that the Duncan Designed pickups in the SZ line are very good stock pickups. They are a step above the Infinity pickups in the RG3xx line which are definitely better than the powersounds and the pickups in the SA line.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge
i played one of the cheap sa guitars(and others) and was impressed with the playablity feel and look . the pickups were crap though . The infinity pickups aren't too horrible but the sa line pickups suck . I am digging the duncan designed pickups that ibanez is using in the sz line . I have played a few duncan models and hated them but the ones in the Sz are really really good stock pickups .
bro- which specific model you tried?

Duncan pickups in SZ- somehow this pairing works & it shows that Ibanez sound good with non-Dimarzio units as well. for those of you who like the Duncan Ibanez pickups, make sure you try the American 'Seymour Duncan IBZ' version in the Prestige SZ.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 05:07 PM

i owned the sa2020 and currently own a sa1260 (introduced in 2004, promptly discontinued in 2005). i had wanted the 1260 because it was a bolt on and made in the japanese factory, but i missed my chance. didn't think ibanez would discontinue it so soon. anyway, in 2005 they introduced the replacement for the 1260, which was the 2020. i was a little underwhelmed, as this guitar has a set neck and was korean made, but was willing to give it a try when i saw it cheap on e-bay. when i got it, i was even more disappointed. the neck was really thick...and i like fairly strat-like necks (as opposed to the thin wizard necks). the fretboard radius supposedly had not changed, but it didn't feel right to me at all. worse of all, the guitar sounded lifeless unamplified. plugging it in to the amp didn't make things any better. the dimarzio ibz pickups were way too tinty and cheap sounding to my ears. they should've stuck with the v series, specifically the v8s & v7s, which sound much warmer and closer to real (mid output) dimarzios imo. i immediately unloaded that guitar on e-bay asap.

about a year later (a few months ago actually), i found a near pristine sa1260. these guitars are ultra rare in my experience. i snatched it up and crossed my fingers. upon receiving it, i was pleasantly surprised. the 1260 is a much better guitar imo. the neck feels much better as does the fingerboard. the guitar sounds better unamplified (i attribute this to superior construction) and while the bridge pickup isn't the greatest (i think it's a v6), the single coils (it's a HSS as opposed to the 2020, which is a HH) sound fantastic, really bluesy and 'tubular'. i will be switching out the bridge humbucker, but the single coils will have to stay.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 03:38 PM

The Prestige SA shown in NAMM looks interesting...the black one with the maple fingerboard.
i wonder if it's a regular production model, or just some "special" crap that normal people will never have the chance to try.

SA's are nice idea coz they're "strat-like"... but they gotta get the neck right damnit. it needs a rounder radius, or even better a compound radius. width at the nut should be 42mm. and the neck profile should be more of a thin "U shape" rather than like a wizard II.

If tried a few SA's at stores. All of em look very good, but i've had a few that were lifeless -- absolutely poor resonance -- i don't know if it's the quality of the wood or the construction...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

rastachild: i own the SA2020- yes it's a Korean + departure from the skinny necked Wizard Ibanez models, but it's a good guitar per se. i guess that it all boils down to personal preferences.

my experiences with the Korean Prestige SZ/ SA- a good guitar is a good guitar, regardless of where it's made.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikm5150
If tried a few SA's at stores. All of em look very good, but i've had a few that were lifeless -- absolutely poor resonance -- i don't know if it's the quality of the wood or the construction...
agree with you there. the thing with the Korean Prestige units- they lack consistency. for the money that we are forking for them, we would expect the product to reflect the tag they are carrying: 'PRESTIGE'
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
bro- which specific model you tried?

Duncan pickups in SZ- somehow this pairing works & it shows that Ibanez sound good with non-Dimarzio units as well. for those of you who like the Duncan Ibanez pickups, make sure you try the American 'Seymour Duncan IBZ' version in the Prestige SZ.

i tried the 160qm and the 220(i belive, didn't look) . Like i said they played great but i didn't care for the pickups. The 160 would be worth it to get one used and put some good pickups in .
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

if you can get hold of the ash bodied SA160 (discontinued)- it'd be great...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 01:29 AM

I agree that some of the SA's seem to be hit or miss as far as resonance goes. I've played quite a few that lacked any real resonance but I have found a few new ones that resonated quite nicely but still needed better pickups. The SA guitars are a good idea, but I think they should include one option with a fixed bridge.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
I agree that some of the SA's seem to be hit or miss as far as resonance goes. I've played quite a few that lacked any real resonance but I have found a few new ones that resonated quite nicely but still needed better pickups. The SA guitars are a good idea, but I think they should include one option with a fixed bridge.
+1 to the fixed bridge suggestion.

and germx, i agree, a good guitar is a good guitar no matter where it's made, which is why i was willing to give the 2020 a try. but i have witnessed the 'hit or miss' syndrome with korean made guitars far too many times in the past (also with a js700 that would not intonate correctly because of incorrect stud placement of the wraparound bridge). i probably won't ever buy a korean guitar without playing it first. the japanese ibanezes i've bought online have been amazingly consistent, so i do think it is either a wood quality or construction issue.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , dimarzio ibz , duncan designed , duncan pickups , fixed bridge , fretboard radius , humbucker sound , ibanez models , ibanez pickups , korean guitar , maple fingerboard , production model , seymour duncan , thin wizard neck , thin wizard necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode