SA Standard Tremelo Vs. RG Fixed - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

SA Standard Tremelo Vs. RG Fixed

Hi, Im looking for a new guitar, however since there is no local dealer near me with a good stock of Ibanez's, I have to resort to ordering online. The only problem I face is that I really want a 22 fret neck, because it feels more "Natural", and "Comfortable" in my hands, which is why I've been pretty interested in the SA series. The reason I dont want an S guitar is because, 1. They are much more expensive than SA's, and 2. I really dont use tremelo's too much, and dont want to pay literally double the sum of an SA, for the features of a locking tremelo. I have also looked at the Rg321, because it is a fair price has a fixed bridge , and has a nice neck for the price. So could you please tell me the pro's and con's of the SAT30 Tremolo, whether it stays in tune especially. And overall which of either the SA120/160 or the RG321mh would suit me best. By the way I am learning to shred, and mainly play solo's etc. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 03:06 PM

Re: SA Standard Tremelo Vs. RG Fixed

Well if you're looking for a good shred guitar for not a lot of money then I would personally go for an RG321. IMO, it's the best bang-for-your-buck guitar on the market today and since it has a fixed bridge, you don't have all the worries that come along with tremolos (plus the sustain is MUCH MUCH better). As far as the SA series guitars go, I've played a fair share of their latest crop and I'm not very impressed. I mean, they play pretty well but the stock pickups are just horrendous IMO (especially that new coil-splitting humbucker that they're using). The Infinity pickups that come on the RG321 are atleast decent stock pickups so you won't have to worry about changing them right away. I would say that your best bet is to get an RG321 (especially since you said that you're learning to 'shred' and play mostly solos) because the neck is very well suited to the style of playing that you listed.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I do admit I didnt pay much attention to the pick-ups, thanks for your advice =)
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 04:47 PM

yeah, i have a sa1260 that i nabbed off of **** last month and it plays beautifully. however, it was the flagship model of the sa line and only offered for 1 year before being replaced by the sa2020. i previously owned a 2020 and was very underwhelmed by the feel of the neck and the sound of the guitar. i've also played some of the lower sa's and didn't like them too much. it's purely a preferential thing, but i will say the sa neck profile feels thicker than the wizard profile, so take that into consideration. the rg321 has a wizard2 neck (correct me if i'm wrong), which is slightly thicker than the regular wizard, but still thinner than the sa neck. i've heard nothing but praise for the rg321 and as far as a no frills workhorse of a guitar goes, i reckon it can't be beat. you will still probably want to switch out the pickups eventually though.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Im pretty sure about the Rg321 now, thanks for all the help everyone!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 06:22 PM

I'm actually starting to wonder if they changed the neck profile on the SA series guitars this year because I remember playing some last year and I thought the necks were pretty chunky but then my local guitar shop got this year's models in and the necks were a lot thinner and had a very round shape about them. The guitars sound horrible this year, though, because those new pickups are horrendous.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 10:33 PM

Hmmm.... whats that new SA model with the maple fretboard?

I always thought the SA series would be the ULTIMATE guitar for gigging everything short of metal, due to its 22f neck (sweet spot for neck pup), H S S config (most versatile config IMO) and SAT trem (Which seems to do its job well).
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 01:21 AM

There's a new SA model with a maple fretboard? Such a guitar doesn't exist here in the states. Everything is rosewood...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 01:50 AM

How stable is that SA trem? Can it be replaced with a Wilkinson trem without routing? If you want a good shred guitar then as used RG550 is really all you need.

Regards

André

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
How stable is that SA trem? Can it be replaced with a Wilkinson trem without routing? If you want a good shred guitar then as used RG550 is really all you need.

Regards

André
Yeah, but it sounds like he doesn't want to deal with a double-locking trem and he's also not looking to spend a lot of money, apparently.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 10:48 AM

The SA trems (both SAT30 and SAT-Pro) are good trems -- IMHO, they are on par with the Wilkinson VS-series (VS50 and VS100) which they are clearly modeled after. As with any non-locking trem, using some graphite or other lube (Big Bend Nut Sauce) on the nut and saddles makes a big difference. Locking tuners take it yet another step. Fettouhi, the SAT trems will NOT switch out with a Wilkinson due to non-standard stud spacing.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I think the SA series has been underestimated and overlooked, especially the Japanese made SA1260 and the SA420X (both discontinued). The 420 differs from all others in the SA line in having a piezo bridge and an Ultra neck. I also have an SA160 which I travel and perform with -- I absolutely love that guitar. But yes: the stock pickups on the SAs truly bite (except for the 1260 and 420, both of which had V-series pups).

Ibanez237 -- just out of curiosity... since you mentioned you like 22-fret necks, and you don't use the trem much, why did you rule out the SZ series?

Cheers,
Bert
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier
The SA trems (both SAT30 and SAT-Pro) are good trems -- IMHO, they are on par with the Wilkinson VS-series (VS50 and VS100) which they are clearly modeled after. As with any non-locking trem, using some graphite or other lube (Big Bend Nut Sauce) on the nut and saddles makes a big difference. Locking tuners take it yet another step. Fettouhi, the SAT trems will NOT switch out with a Wilkinson due to non-standard stud spacing.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I think the SA series has been underestimated and overlooked, especially the Japanese made SA1260 and the SA420X (both discontinued). The 420 differs from all others in the SA line in having a piezo bridge and an Ultra neck. I also have an SA160 which I travel and perform with -- I absolutely love that guitar. But yes: the stock pickups on the SAs truly bite (except for the 1260 and 420, both of which had V-series pups).

Ibanez237 -- just out of curiosity... since you mentioned you like 22-fret necks, and you don't use the trem much, why did you rule out the SZ series?

Cheers,
Bert
Cool thanks for the info Bert .

Regards

André

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
There's a new SA model with a maple fretboard? Such a guitar doesn't exist here in the states. Everything is rosewood...

Its on Rich's NAMM 2006 report... under Specials or something...

I would love to have that... its the only Ibanez with a maple fretboard, other than the PGM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredcows
Its on Rich's NAMM 2006 report... under Specials or something...

I would love to have that... its the only Ibanez with a maple fretboard, other than the PGM.
same here, i juz love maple fretboards, anw how bad are the new truduo humbuckers?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 08:58 PM

In my opinion they are HORRIBLE. The stock humbucker that the 2005 models came with sounded a LOT better (but certainly not great). The split coil mode on the pickup actually sounds quite decent but the humbucker mode is just HORRIBLE. I was really turned off by this year's SA models even though they look very sexy, they actually have matching headstocks, and the neck profiles feel even more comfortable and less chunky than before. But if you're willing to change the pickups in the guitar IMMEDIATELY then they would probably be excellent guitars.

Tags
coil mode , fixed bridge , fret neck , fret necks , guitar shop , local guitar shop , locking tuners , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck pup , piezo bridge , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode