SA260FM Pickup Information and Coil Split Tap - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

SA260FM Pickup Information and Coil Split Tap

Hi all,

I'm looking at a 2018 SA260FM with the Resolution and Quantum pickups.

Where can I go for some information on these? It seems there's very little out there on Ibanez gear compared to some other makes.

Does anyone know if it's possible to coil split (people call it coil tap, but I think it's actually splitting) the Quantum humbucker pickup like the older versions of this model used to do, with the earlier pickups that they had, in order to get a single coil bridge equivalent sound?

Does anyone have an opinion on the new 2018 version vs the older versions of the SA260? This would help me immensely in knowing whether to consider an earlier used version instead of shelling out for new (and whether I could coil split)

Many thanks

Last edited by 3rddawn; 03-09-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 01:18 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: SA260FM Pickup Information and Coil Split Tap

Traditionally with guitars using ibanez original pickups (not dimarzio, etc.) Ibanez uses 2-conductor pickups unless the guitar comes wired to the factory with coil split, parallel wiring switching (then 4-conductor pickups are used). If you remove the electronics cover just look how many wires are available come out of each pickup end. ignore the colors in the attached photo but shown is 4-conductor plus the unshielded ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4-wire.jpg (19.4 KB, 14 views)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I don't have access to look.

The older model (around 2010) definitely does have the coil split feature. If I'm considering this 2010 model, do you think the pickups (Neck:Axis Single 1 or 2, Middle: Axis Single 2, Bridge: True Duo Bucker) still measure up against the new model's Resolution and Quantum ones?

Thanks
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 01:51 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Hopefully others can chime in - these axes aren't really popular here - i have no first hand opinion on these other than i heavily value coil-splitting. To me, any medium output pickup can sound OK and if not they're easily changed. Other than the X2N I don't recall hearing a HORRID pickup that i couldn't make work. Good luck!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Perhaps I came to the wrong place then ... but yours was the most obvious Ibanez guitar forum I could find via google.

Thanks for the information so far.

Cheers
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 09:48 PM

The Quantum humbucker on the SA is coil splitting, it splits on position four, so it combines the inside coil with the middle pickup. If you wanted the humbucker to split in position five you would have to wire in a push/pull volume pot in place of the stock pot. So with the switch up position four would be the same and position five would be the split humbucker. With the switch down position four would be middle coil plus humbucker and position five would be the full humbucker on its own.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 01:16 PM

I'm not trying to knock your choice in Guitars, but you're not going to be terribly thrilled with the tuning stability of that trem. If you don't want to mess with a double locking trem, I'd suggest a fixed bridge model.

Tags
ibanez sa sa260 split tap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode