Saber with hard tail? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Saber with hard tail?

Did Ibanez ever release a Saber with a hard tail and I'm not interested in the SZ series. I'm looking for the thin Saber body and neck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 01:16 PM

Re: Saber with hard tail?

Yes, in the early 90s they made one with a Gibson style bridge/tailpiece - the 470SF - that also has a Gibson scale length. They also made a few models (430S, 440S, SV470) that have non-locking trems. Check out some of the catalogs (91, 92 maybe) on IbanezRules.com to see some specs.

The SV and SF both have slightly thicker necks and are AANJ, but the 430 and 440 came with wizards and square joint. At least the ones I own/have seen.

Last edited by gpenguins; 05-08-2007 at 09:01 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Thanks for the info.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 06:48 PM

Has anyone out there played or owned a 470SF? I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of an Ibanez hardtail with a Gibson scale, but it appears as if the Ghostrider and 470SF are the only ones. Is the neck anything close to a Wizard? That would be pretty much my dream neck - Gibson scale on a Wizard neck....!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 11:25 PM

The SF470 has the Viper neck profile. It's more rounded and thicker than the Wizard is. It feels very "Fenderish" to me.
--Jason
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 04:00 AM

The nicest guitar I've ever seen is a J-Custom tune-o'-matic S series... it's on the internet somewhere; natural finished. I wish I could find it!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkahrs View Post
The SF470 has the Viper neck profile. It's more rounded and thicker than the Wizard is. It feels very "Fenderish" to me.
--Jason
Since I've got the same one you had, I agree, it's got a very "Fenderish" feel - although I didn't realize that was a Viper profile. I learned something today...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:00 AM

This is the one I have. Jason stripped it when he had it, it's pretty nice:

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
The nicest guitar I've ever seen is a J-Custom tune-o'-matic S series... it's on the internet somewhere; natural finished. I wish I could find it!!
Don't have to go far.......we've got it right here on jemsite!!! It's actually a LACS model.

Specs here: http://jemsite.com/jcustom/jpn_jc_20...sd/s6csd1.html

Jon Kon
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:45 AM

Question for jkahrs or gpenguins --

Does the neck on the SF470 have a skunk stripe on the rear? One person I spoke to said the SF470 neck did NOT have a skunk stripe, which seemed odd because both the SV470 and RV470 (produced the same year as the SF470) did have the stripe. I'm just trying to ascertain if the Vipers on each of these models are exactly the same, as I need to do a neck switch on a guitar I have.
Thanks,
Bert
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
Question for jkahrs or gpenguins --

Does the neck on the SF470 have a skunk stripe on the rear? One person I spoke to said the SF470 neck did NOT have a skunk stripe, which seemed odd because both the SV470 and RV470 (produced the same year as the SF470) did have the stripe. I'm just trying to ascertain if the Vipers on each of these models are exactly the same, as I need to do a neck switch on a guitar I have.
Thanks,
Bert
Bert,

No, it doesn't have the skunk stripe (see pic), but yes, both my RV and SV do have it (I don't have any good pics of those). The SF is Gibson scale and the SV and RV are "standard" scale (well, it's standard for me...) - that and the headstock tilt angle are the biggest differences. The SV and RV have a very slight tilt, and the SF has the "normal" Ibanez tilt angle.

Dave

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontalonis View Post
Don't have to go far.......we've got it right here on jemsite!!! It's actually a LACS model.

Specs here: http://jemsite.com/jcustom/jpn_jc_20...sd/s6csd1.html

Jon Kon
OH DEAR GOD!!!!

That is my DREAM guitar!! Every single thing about it is perfect...

*drools incessantly*
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks gpenguins -- I missed the part about the shorter Gibson scale. I knew where there was an SF470 for $149, but it appears to be gone. Due to the scale differences, a swap wouldn't have worked anyway. Another option for hard tail Sabers is the S-Classic series -- those were very nice guitars and they pop up pretty frequently. I think there were 3 models, but I'm too lazy to check the catalogs at the moment. Very S-like in shape, but with a different headstock and some other nice features.

Incidentally, the Vipers on the SV470 and RV470 are among my favorite Ibanez necks.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
Thanks gpenguins -- I missed the part about the shorter Gibson scale. I knew where there was an SF470 for $149, but it appears to be gone. Due to the scale differences, a swap wouldn't have worked anyway. Another option for hard tail Sabers is the S-Classic series -- those were very nice guitars and they pop up pretty frequently. I think there were 3 models, but I'm too lazy to check the catalogs at the moment. Very S-like in shape, but with a different headstock and some other nice features.

Incidentally, the Vipers on the SV470 and RV470 are among my favorite Ibanez necks.
I love the S-Classics - I completely forgot about those. I think they have a weird scale length - 25" maybe? I've tried to get my paws on a couple of them over the past few months, but keep missing out, or they end up costing too much.

I do dig the necks on the SV and RV. I was actually going to put the SV neck on a regular 540S with an Edge and just use the locking tuners, it looked pretty nice. But, I ended up getting a "proper" lock nut neck for it, so it went back to the SV.

Tags
ibanez neck , ibanez necks , lock nut , locking trems , locking tuners , thicker necks , viper neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode