A Sad Day Turns Into New Possibilities... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 30
A Sad Day Turns Into New Possibilities...

Hey guys. As of today, my burst-painted RG7(done by a person from this forum, so the name will not be given) has bitten the dust as far as the finish goes . For a while, the finish had been peeling off around the body contour for your forearm, no big deal. It was from the guitar stands rubber arm covers eating away the paint(probably not the stand's fault either ). But today, the unthinkable happened. It peeled more and more (very obviously a shotty job ). The clear coat felt like rubber, not very hard at all. Not to mention it's not a new job, I got it back in January. Now I'm left with no choice but to sand and re-think what the finish would be and also WHO does it this time. Any ideas on finish ideas? Also, considering LGM for some work in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 11:41 PM

Do it yourself. Time consuming and tough to decide on what to do, but would be fun seeing the results come to fruition right before your very eyes. Then if it sucks, you only have yourself to blame. Plus, refin work is very inexpensive material wise....it's the time you pay for.

I dig the look of wood, so I would recommend looking into a veneer top, then stain and clear coat it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 05:17 PM

what about leaving it in natural?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 05:27 PM

Am i the only one curious about who did this finish? That really sucks that it hasn't been durable.

If you're not comfortable stating it publicly in the channel, sent me a private message or email.

Tags
clear coat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode