saw this strange ibanez... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

saw this strange ibanez...

it has an mahony body and flamed top.......only 500 dollars...an the petrucci control style on it......its not the "normal" 620.....is it some kind of custom?????...dunno what the pickups are.......It looks sweeeeet....

[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 11:03 AM

Hm. Interesting.

The neck pickup looks stock Ibanez, but the bridge looks like a DiMarzio. The shape of the pickup routs and the placement of the controls makes me think that maybe it's a custom body... Ibanez's recent direct-mount pickup routs have more triangular-shaped cuts for the pickup mounting ears, because that's the shape of the DiMarzio mounts. And with the JPM control positioning, it's either a custom body from scratch, or a standard RG that's been re-topped.

The top also is interesting... it's got nice figuring in it, which is a very pretty blend of flame and quilt patterns. But there's no bookmatching seam in the centre, which says one of two things: Either it's a 1-piece top (which would almost certainly mean it's a custom body) or it's a photo flame.

Regardless, with a mahogany body, it's a great deal for $500, especially in Europe.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 12:59 PM
Vendor

Except for the TRS trem
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 01:00 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
that's a gold lopro edge, but a horribly dark photo
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
that's a gold lopro edge, but a horribly dark photo
It's so dark, I was wondering how Darren could tell that the top wasn't bookmatched?

I am not qustioning your authority btw!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Vendor

Yup, got off my butt and planted my nose on the monitor, Lo Pro [looks like a TRS from 6 feet]
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 01:55 PM

The edge route looks to be a different size. Unless the studs have been pulled they dont have any stain on them at all, which they typically do.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallopwallop
It's so dark, I was wondering how Darren could tell that the top wasn't bookmatched?
Easy. I use a Mac.

(I'll just go a bit off topic here... i know this is a dangerous pot to stir up, but i don't know how you guys can stand using Windows. I pulled that image up on a Windows machine here at the office, and sure enough, it was unbelievably dark and murky. You could barely even make out the pickups! But on my Mac, it's very rich and detailed, with much better contrast. Sorry, but everything just looks better on a Mac.)

Anyway, on my screen, it's easy to see that the grain pattern is asymmetrical, and there's no visible seam running from behind the bridge to the rear strap button. Looks like a one piece top or a photo flame to me. It also looks like it's got a flat finish on it, though that could just be a result of poor lighting.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 03:40 PM

Kinda looks like the sapele on the 520QSTK models...I don't recall those being two piece? Very interesting. I can see how Rich thought it was a TRS...it almost looks like a nut-fitting at the base of the trem, but the writing along the tuners clinches it.
Greg
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Nope, I can't find it in any of my catalogues. In 1995 we had an RG570 in plain mahogany with gold hardware and a couple of years later we had the RG620QSSOL, a "special oil" finished quilted sapele top. But that had standard RG controls and Cosmo Black hardware. It did however have the QM pickups which this one seems to have in the neck position.

I have no idea whatthis exact guitar is though!!!

Interesting find
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 04:06 PM

The 520 and 620 tops are two peice but since the 520 is so dark (just a bit darker than this guitar) you could hardly tell. In my opinion it was just hiding a really pretty top. Maybe its just an older japanese model we havent seen? Doubt it though. I would bank on a custom body or retop but it does look like sapele and the neck pickup is a QM as someone else said. Is it just me or does the left hand side of the bridge pickup have the triangle routing and the other side is square? The ibanez logo is the metal one so who knows. Since you have a better view darren look closely around the pickups. can you see filled holes? Im thinking I can but Im not sure. I will have to say I agree with you darren on the issue of macs. The gui is horrible though and the machines are prone to be frickin weird. Anythings better than the monstrosities that hp and compaq are putting out these days though. (hewlitt compaquard) lol.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Got an message back from the owner..
he sas its an limited edition from ibanez self and the neck pickup is the origional pickup and the bridge is an dimarzio dual tone....so its kinda strange.....i would really love to see other pics of the type guitar...and the model name.....maybe could it be soms prototype???
and the serial number is f601710
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 07:35 PM

Is this thing on ebay right now? Prototype its not. Maybe a refinish
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 09:14 PM

I dunno what's up with your computer then, I'm using Win98SE and had no trouble seeing everything you saw on yours.

Nice guitar if nothing else.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 10:48 PM

98se doesnt even have clear type font technology. It looks like pooh. lol. im running three operating systems and still arent happy. lol

Tags
bridge pickup , cosmo black hardware , mahogany body , neck pickup , neck position , pro edge , strap button

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode