Saw the strangest 'RG' today - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Saw the strangest 'RG' today

I'm in China at the moment, and I saw 'something' in a shop today that could have been a strange RG. At least, the headstock read 'Ibanez RG series'!

It's white, H/S/H black pickups (look like Powersounds, ring-mounted), 24-fret rosewood fretboard, dot inlays, maple neck (coated, feels thicker than Wizard. Wizard II?), AANJ. Black trem that looks like a Lo TRS but does not read 'Ibanez' anywhere (??), all black hardware. One volume pot and painted-on f-holes, just like the white PGM

It was in terrible condition. Most of the hardware was rusty, action was sky-high, strings were rusty and the fretboard was almost pink, it was that dry.

Now, the serial number reads F00XXX..., and the price is just under $200 "new". WTF???!!! What's this? A strange MIJ RG270? Assuming it actually is a MIJ 2000 RG, possibly the poor thing has been on display for 4 years, hence the condition. I truly cannot tell about the workmanship because the guitar was in such bad condition that it looked like crap. My guess is that it's a Chinese-made copy of God knows what, and that they even copied the serial number!

Anyone has a clue about a similar model?

The truth is, you see the strangest things here. I bought my 2001 S270 (mahogany oil finish) here second-hand last year (perfect condition, just some fretwear), for less than $150. In another shop I saw a brand new RG270 (in dreadful condition, again) for more than $300. You wonder sometimes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Ah, I forgot. An online shop is selling the RG1570 for $450 as well (?!)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 06:07 AM

My guess is either someone stuck an RG neck and cheap trem on a PGM body, or you've found something like the JEM333 of the PGM series.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 06:28 AM
dex

Most probably PGM30 with swaped neck.

ilia
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 03:24 PM

I don't think it's a PGM30 body. If it doesn't the TRS tremolo (or Edge Pro ) it sounds to me like it's a PGM3 body that someone has swapped another neck on. They have an ILT1 bridge like the Jem333 has. --Jason
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 07:39 AM

That's China for you .

Regards

André

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

You tell me! The things you see here are unbelievable. From completely overpriced imported junk (I mean not Chinese-made) to domestic overpriced junk to properly priced junk to underpriced nice surprises. I've played some domestic models (brands you've never heard of in your life) that would cost less than $100, and they feel like $400 guitars, honestly.

What I do know is that more and more manufacturers are going to move over here, and I'll be just waiting for 'stuff that fell off the back of a truck'. I mean, an OLP Axis sells for $200 in the States. The price is pretty much the same here, and it's made right here, so what if I get my hands on one of those at the 'real' price, I wonder? Epiphone has moved here. It's only a matter of time until Ibanez does so too. That happens with clothes all the time. All that Nike, Adidas, The North Face, Timberland, etc. cool outdoor gear you get for $150 abroad are about $50 here. WHAT IF THAT HAPPENS WITH GUITARS????!!!!

Hell, I'll just start a Web shop and keep all of you supplied with bargains and quality project guitars. Whaddayathink?!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGuitarHero
You tell me! The things you see here are unbelievable. From completely overpriced imported junk (I mean not Chinese-made) to domestic overpriced junk to properly priced junk to underpriced nice surprises. I've played some domestic models (brands you've never heard of in your life) that would cost less than $100, and they feel like $400 guitars, honestly.

What I do know is that more and more manufacturers are going to move over here, and I'll be just waiting for 'stuff that fell off the back of a truck'. I mean, an OLP Axis sells for $200 in the States. The price is pretty much the same here, and it's made right here, so what if I get my hands on one of those at the 'real' price, I wonder? Epiphone has moved here. It's only a matter of time until Ibanez does so too. That happens with clothes all the time. All that Nike, Adidas, The North Face, Timberland, etc. cool outdoor gear you get for $150 abroad are about $50 here. WHAT IF THAT HAPPENS WITH GUITARS????!!!!

Hell, I'll just start a Web shop and keep all of you supplied with bargains and quality project guitars. Whaddayathink?!
Ibanez is already in China and India too . So to late for that ! Plus the prices in China are high at the moment in general.

Regards

André

PS. But that doesn't mean that all guitars from China are crap. At the Musikmesse in Frankfurt this year there where a lot of manufactures from China with really nice guitars too and I'm talking about Dimarzio pickups, Schaller Floyd Rose etc.

Tags
black pickups , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dot inlay , dot inlays , floyd rose , maple neck , rosewood fretboard , schaller floyd rose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode