Scalloped RG7 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Scalloped RG7

After watching a G3 DVD (Live in Denver) I started to get into Malmsteen a lot more(yeah, we all know he's a ****y nutter ).

I thought to myself 'How much scalloping an RG7 cost, and where the hell would i have something like that done)

Any ideas, and do you guys think it'd even be worth the trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 01:12 PM

Re: Scalloped RG7

My teacher has a Carvin 747 scalloped from the 12th up and it is a gradual scallop meaning it is deeper on the High strings. But i do not even know where or who did it for him i will ask him. I know he can really sweep with it.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, but i'm thinking a fully scalloped neck
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 02:35 PM

Jeremy at LGM can do it for you, check the banner at the top of the page.

jim
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 05:48 PM

I don't think there would be much point in scalloping the whole fretboard on a 7-string.You'd probably regret it and there's no going back.

There was a post from somebody who'd had his 6-string fretboard fully scalloped and he reckoned it had made the guitar virtually unplayable. There's a good reason that people only usually scallop the top few frets.

If the lower frets are scalloped it can make it difficult to fret nice clean chords without the whole chord being 'off-pitch'.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 06:21 PM

Dont scallop the Whole fretboard. Maybe 12th up.......
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 06:36 PM

Try it out first, don't act too fast...You could go to some guitarcenter and check out an Yngwie Fender if it is there, or somebody else with a scalloped neck (on the guitar )...be sure not to make any concessions.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 06:37 PM

Are the Yngwie's whole fretboard scalloped? I 've never played one so I dont know...
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 06:40 PM

Yeah they are. But then that's Yngwie for you,lol.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 02:35 AM

Is there really a point to scalloping frets? If the argument is that it helps you play faster, then your fretboard must have been dry. Not to mention, the best of the best never needed to scallop frets. And if your so used to playing like that, what will you do if a so/so regular every day guitar falls into your hands and people wanna hear you play? Are you gunna be able to do it? Why not just learn to play like everyone else does? You need to be able to play fast anyway before the scalloped frets really makes a difference to you. And at that point you wont need them anyway.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:21 AM

It is harder to play fast on a scalloped neck, but there's a lot you can do on one that you can't on a regular neck. The gradual scallop is probably a good idea, that way you still have the power chord thing going.

The expression in the notes seems to be so much more with a scalloped board. If you use really light guage strings... wow. I wouldn't do it to my best guitar or my only guitar, though. And I still haven't done it to any of mine. But, someday, if I can find someone to do it quickly and well for a reasonable price, I will.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestor
The expression in the notes seems to be so much more with a scalloped board.
How is this possible if the string never comes in contact with the fretboard in either case anyway? And what things can you do with a scalloped board you cand on a regular?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepsis311
How is this possible if the string never comes in contact with the fretboard in either case anyway? And what things can you do with a scalloped board you cand on a regular?
String contact with the fretboard is irrelevant for expression or anything else you want to do with your guitar. While it may be hard to notice on an electric, my classical guitar strings almost never touch the wood on the fretboard but only the frets. That's what actually makes scalloped fretboards possible.

The only way I believe scalloped fretboards can improve phrasing is by allowing you to actually push the string into the fretboard in order to bend it.
Just a thought though, never tried one....
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

The argument of whether i really need to scallop the neck has been rolling around in my mind for a while aswell.

I just thought it would be interesting
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:44 PM

I scalloped the fretboard on an old beater guitar.
My observations were:
When you bend your finger does not drag on the fretboard thus bends are easier.
Notes go sharp if you don't have a light touch. I believe you play just as fast once you get used to a light touch. Jumbo (tall) frets give almost the same effect. I found this to be most useful on the low frets 1-12.

You must consider the impact to the guitar. Fender necks are thicker. They can handle scalloping with little risk of bowing (succepable to relief problems), and the truss rod can be tightened to make up for the wood removed.

However with a 17mm to 20 mm ibanez or slightly larger for the RG7 the amount of wood taken off is a larger percentage of the overall thickness. I worry that the neck can be kept straight. I would not try this. Jems being scalloped only on the last 4 frets don't have a problem since the neck is thicker there anyway.
Also if you only scallop the high stings I think the neck may twist.
I did lose some sustain when I did this.

Tags
guage strings , guitar players , high strings , rosewood fingerboard , scalloped fretboard , scalloped frets , scalloped neck , stainless steel frets , steel frets , string guitars , truss rod , yjm strat , yngwie malmsteen , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode