Schaller tuners for Ibanez rg guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Schaller tuners for Ibanez rg guitars

Hi,

Does anyone know what kind of locking tuners I can get for my Ibanez Rg270. I have new pickups in it and it feels so good but it goes out of tune all the time. i had the bridge locked cause its ****ty, but that didnt work. So i hope that locking tuners can do the job. Done anyone have any suggestions? I love this guitar and I dont wanna give it up cause it goes out of tune. i figure that it can be fixed. Ive played some guitars with Schaller locking tuners on them and I was bening the **** out of the strings and it sounded perfectly in tune. So if anyone can help with any info on what size tuners I would need, please do.

Also, I looked on Ibanez's site and could not find out what size tuners are on my guitar now.

Thanks,

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 10:53 PM

I am using Planet-waves' locking tuners called "AutoTrim Tuning Machine"
They stay in tune pretty well, and fit the original holes on my PGM directly

you can buy them from www.stewmac.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 11:18 PM

I bought a set of the Schaller locking tuners for my Les Paul. They're pretty heavy duty chrome plated steel compared to Sperzel's softer aluminum alloy. I've had them for over 2 years and haven't experienced a problem.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 11:56 PM

i suggest you check the whole guitar before buying the new tuners. the neck to body bolts must be tight, the posts in the bridge shouldn't move and the nut has to be tight. i believe the 270 has a locking nut right? if that's so, the locking tuners are useless except for ease of string changing.
good luck!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Rg270

I checked everything on the guitar and all the connections are tight. I dont even use the locking nut, the damn guitar goes out of tune when i tighten it!! All I want to know is if locking tuners will fit on this guitar and if its good to get them.

Thanks,

Matt
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 06:41 PM

the guitar goes out of tune because the height of the nut is wrong. put a shim under it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 12:33 AM

Re: Rg270

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammatt304
I dont even use the locking nut, the damn guitar goes out of tune when i tighten it!!
Thanks,

Matt
Your problem is the string retainer bar behind the nut. It's apparently not screwed down far enough to bend the strings completely over the nut.

It's there for that purpose. Bring the bar down to where the strings pass under it at about the same height as the holes in the stock tuners. Be careful not to send the screws all the way through the headstock!

Tune the guitar following the steps in the Jemsite tutorial. Tighten up the locking pads on the nut and you should stay in tune.

Tags
les paul , locking nut , locking tuners , retainer bar , schaller locking , schaller locking tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode