Schecter Banshee Elite with Sustainiac - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Schecter Banshee Elite with Sustainiac

Just wondering if any hard-core Ibanez fans on here have tried, or better still own one of these Korean guitars, and if so how does the overall build quality compare to the Ibanez Prestige guitars?

Have you found the Sustainiac any use, is it more than a toy that quickly becomes tiresome & does the neck pickup actually sound any good? Or does it leave you wanting to rip it out and put something else in there?

Is the neck similar to the JS guitars (same nut width), slightly thinner I believe but with a slightly flatter radius?

Yes I'm tempted, trying to talk myself out of it!

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:09 PM

Re: Schecter Banshee Elite with Sustainiac

I don't have the Banshee but just recently picked up a Blackjack SLS FR-S which is very similar in hardware and layout. It's an adjustment playing-wise, at least for me. I can go back and forth between my Ibanezes and Jacksons without much thought, but the Schecter feels like a slightly different beast. Both the neck profile and bridge placement feel different than anything else I have. Factory string is a .10-46 which is also different compared to the 9s on my other "shreddy" guitars. I do typically play 10s on my 24 3/4 scales.

As far as build quality, it's an extremely well made guitar. The fretwork is excellent (Jumbos, which also takes some adjustment), woods are very nice and the trem cavity perfectly finished. The mask lines at the body and headstock for the satin finish on the neck are almost imperceptible. I don't own any modern era Prestige Ibanez to compare to, but the Schecter definitely feels quality in the hand.

I haven't had too much opportunity to play with the Sustaniac yet (only had it about a week), but it's actually a pretty decent sounding neck pickup. Much better than I was expecting. Whether the sustainer itself is useful or gimmicky is still to be seen. While I was intrigued by it as something different, the aquaburst was a bigger, ahem, "driver" for my choice than the included sustainer.

I know it's not exactly what you're looking at, but here's the Blackjack for reference:

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:51 AM

Awesome! I'm set on 3 guitars

RG1550 or RG2550 (quite expensive but Mint for $600 on occasion.
JH-600 LTD
Blackjack SLS by Schecter.

How heavy is that? I mean Ibanez are pencil thin and light but how is the weight on that SLS? The Hellraisers are thicker and are also Mahogany so I'm avoiding those.

I'm leaning towards the blue burst SLS or the JH600 as I've only heard great things compared to Ibanez. I also want to know about the build quality vs RG550s and Prestiges.
BUT I also really love Ibanez too, I'm not a brand-loyalist-freak.

As of now, these 3 guitars will overlap price around 600-800.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanzoStrife View Post
Awesome! I'm set on 3 guitars

RG1550 or RG2550 (quite expensive but Mint for $600 on occasion.
JH-600 LTD
Blackjack SLS by Schecter.

How heavy is that? I mean Ibanez are pencil thin and light but how is the weight on that SLS? The Hellraisers are thicker and are also Mahogany so I'm avoiding those.

I'm leaning towards the blue burst SLS or the JH600 as I've only heard great things compared to Ibanez. I also want to know about the build quality vs RG550s and Prestiges.
BUT I also really love Ibanez too, I'm not a brand-loyalist-freak.

As of now, these 3 guitars will overlap price around 600-800.
My Blackjack weighs 8 lbs 3 oz. So it's no lightweight, but it's not terrible. The neck took some getting used to. Even though it's a relatively slim, compound radius neck, it just feels different in the hand. It took me a couple of days to get used to - especially chording in the first position.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the reply bro
What is neck thicker or a different shape (C vs U) or something ?

How are the frets? Do they need leveling and sanding? That cost me an arm and a leg and I don't want to deal with it again soon at least.

Does the bridge stay in tune and feel smooth when you dive and pull?
The SLS looks expensive in pics, in person does it look that way to u too?

I've only tried the Ibanez and LTD so far. Both of them were fast and easy to play.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm one of those people who like GOOD but LESS gear. I don't want to get sucked up in the GearHead life and not be a good artist.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply bro
What is neck thicker or a different shape (C vs U) or something ?
It feels like the string spacing, but the nut width is about the same as my Jackson SLAT (though that's a hardtail). It also feels wider than my Floyded San Dimas.

Quote:
How are the frets? Do they need leveling and sanding? That cost me an arm and a leg and I don't want to deal with it again soon at least.
The fretwork is very good. No issues with dead spots, buzzing, or intonation that I've come across so far. No rough fret ends. They're polished fully smooth.

Quote:
Does the bridge stay in tune and feel smooth when you dive and pull?
Yup, and it flutters, too. I've only got one other guitar with a 1000 series Floyd (the aforementioned Charvel), but I find these to be excellent trems. Haven't had the Schecter long enough to say for sure on this particular guitar, but once set up, the Charvel will stay in tune literally for weeks with moderate trem use.

Quote:
The SLS looks expensive in pics, in person does it look that way to u too
Yes, it looks very classy. My wife loves it. She thinks it's the prettiest guitar I own.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 01:09 PM

Reviews: 15

Excellent guitar, congrats!!!! I have the Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR-S, and I love it. It's an amazing guitar, even if it didn't have the sustainiac. But, thankfully it does The sustainiac puts it over the top for me. Gone are the days of standing on stage and finding the location where the feedback happens, and putting down tape to mark the spot. Now it wherever I am at the time

I also love the 3 way switch to determine the type of sustain. Regular, some feedback, and full-on-Lynch style. Awesome feature in an awesome guitar. Congrats again.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Was just about to pull the trigger on one of these until I noticed the nut width, 41.3mm - too narrow for my fingers, prefer the 43mm nuts :-(
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:05 PM

yea, I too am a bit worried If I can play a guitar properly with a 41 mm nut. Guitar teacher said the wide, flat necks are easiest for beginners
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:47 PM

Reviews: 15

For the record, the difference in this nut width to a strat is 1.7 mm.

For those, like me, in the United States:

41.3mm = 1.625984 inches.
43.0mm = 1.692910 inches.

Are you seriously worried about 1.7mm
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:56 PM

^ I haven't tried, I can't say. LNG up there did say the chording took time to get used to on 41mm. There's people on this site that says the 430mm radius makes a massive difference vs standard, then a lot of people said 1 mm thickness in neck made a lot of difference. (On this site). If it didn't make a difference, then I question why Ibanez would have so many neck radius , width and thickness and why artists request different ones. Then you have string gauge .009 vs .010 is a world of difference. I don't know everything about Guitars, but it seems micro measurements affect the guitar greatly? I don't know.

Maybe I'll like it, just wanted opinions.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Been playing for 25 years, on 43mm nuts. Tried a Yamaha Pacifica with a 41mm nut, it just don't work out for me at all, that small difference was enough to turn pristine clean chords into a something not quite so pristine! I can just about get away with the 42mm JS nut string spacing.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:44 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

41.3 vs 43 i wonder what % of players could identify which is which in a double-blind study, especially past fret 3 since (the full sized 6-string guitar) probably has the same bridge. The neck profile and frets have quite a bit of impact too.

Quote:
flat necks are easiest for beginners".
Not always. If anything flat/wide they tend to make things more difficult in terms of all-around playing, strumming, chording, etc and overall playing but maybe slightly easier for scales.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Agreed, after the first few frets it makes little difference. However for me it does make a difference when chording on the first 3 frets, and for many of my guitarist friends also. Maybe we're just weird.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 04:05 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

one size certainly doesn't fit all. I'm pretty sure if you had the axe for a month and played it regularly you'd adapt and never give it thought again. that said i understand why someone wouldn't want to give it a try.

IMHO sometimes we think too much about tekkie part of gear and underestimate our own ability to adapt and compensate.

Tags
schecter banshee elite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode