Schecter C-7 Blackjack - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Schecter C-7 Blackjack

Hi @all,

does anyone of you guys already own this guitar? Any opinions about it? Would be killer if somebody could send me some pics other than the catalogue pics.

Thanks,

P.N.

ps: I think its a real bargain for 599
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 08:43 PM

I'm definitely going to look into buying one of these! They look great, and I could really use a 7-string!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 03:38 AM

I have an A-7 that really is a great guitar. It's actually the best guitar I've ever had in terms of tone and what I can do on it.

Schecter has always made quality guitars, but I haven't checked out a Blackjack, yet.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 04:50 AM

Haven't tried it or seen it live, but man, that looks like a sweet guitar. I'm dying to try it out. I'll probably buy one, to be honest, if it's half-way decent.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:51 AM

I've got a Schecter Revenger-7 (the cheapest 7-string they ever made) and it's great, quality-wise. The only problems I have with it are the body shape (could use an elbow contour) and the pickups. And neither of those are problems that the Blackjack has, since it's a different body shape, and it's got Seymour Duncans in it.

Not to mention the extended scale-length
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies folks!
No negative opinians at all? Sounds good, but doesn`t anybody have pics or played it yet? I'm getting more and more into buying one, but I do not have the chance to try one...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 10:09 AM

My Dean is very similar to the Blackjack in terms of specs: Mahogany body with maple top, mahogany neck, rosewood board, tune-o-matic bridge (not the TonePros version, though) with strings through the body, Grover tuners, Seymour Duncan JB and '59 pickups.

Those pickups are awesome, and they sound amazing in a mahogany-bodied instrument. I couldn't be happier with mine. I would add either coil splitting or series/parallel switching via push/pull pots for more versatility.

I think the Blackjack is a great guitar, especially for the price.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 10:57 AM

I've owned a bunch of Schecter 7-string, but their Korean Diamond series and their USA Custom models. They were all nice guitars, well designed and decent craftsmanship. Several of the Korean versions needed some cleanup work and all of them needed pickup replacements. The Blackjack looks like it combines the best of their 7-string design features over the years. I haven't played one, but I suspect it's a very nice guitar, expecially for the money.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 06:29 PM

that guitar is awesome! I'd love one of them!!!

Kim
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
My Dean is very similar to the Blackjack in terms of specs: Mahogany body with maple top, mahogany neck, rosewood board, tune-o-matic bridge (not the TonePros version, though) with strings through the body, Grover tuners, Seymour Duncan JB and '59 pickups.

Those pickups are awesome, and they sound amazing in a mahogany-bodied instrument. I couldn't be happier with mine. I would add either coil splitting or series/parallel switching via push/pull pots for more versatility.

You're dead-on about those pickups in mahogany, Darren. My buddy has a Brian Moore, same as your dean spec-wise, and those pickups. It KILLED. I can only imagine the C-7.

The C-7 Blackjack has no maple top, and the neck is maple, however. Myself, I'd rather the maple top, but, I'd also rather the maple neck, so it's 50/50 I suppose. I'd get that guitar, (I think it has 5-way switching. If so, I'd get my coil-tap/parallel from that, but right on on needing it) and put in a Graphtech Ghost piezo kit. I bet it'd be an easy retrofit. Just swap out the volume for a concentric volume/tone, and put the Ghost volume where the tone was. Viola! No drilling necessary. My 2027 has me spoiled with acoustic sounds. Couldn't live without it.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 11:16 AM

i'm not certain, but isn't the blackjack also a 26" scale?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

its a 26,5" scale neck which makes it a baritone with a slightly shorter neck. standard long scale guitars have a 25,5" and standard baritones usually have a 27" scale neck...
The string-thru construction make that up with tension imho.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordwolf
Quote:

You're dead-on about those pickups in mahogany, Darren. My buddy has a Brian Moore, same as your dean spec-wise, and those pickups. It KILLED. I can only imagine the C-7.

The C-7 Blackjack has no maple top, and the neck is maple, however. Myself, I'd rather the maple top, but, I'd also rather the maple neck, so it's 50/50 I suppose. I'd get that guitar, (I think it has 5-way switching. If so, I'd get my coil-tap/parallel from that, but right on on needing it) and put in a Graphtech Ghost piezo kit. I bet it'd be an easy retrofit. Just swap out the volume for a concentric volume/tone, and put the Ghost volume where the tone was. Viola! No drilling necessary. My 2027 has me spoiled with acoustic sounds. Couldn't live without it.
You're VERY mistaken about the lack of drilling. The Ghost saddles each have a wire coming off them that has to interface with the pre-amp controls. That means drilling through the base of the bridge under each saddle and then drilling a channel under the saddle that leads to the control area through which you feed the wires. Installing the Ghost is NOT a trivial operation.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachet NOX
its a 26,5" scale neck which makes it a baritone with a slightly shorter neck. standard long scale guitars have a 25,5" and standard baritones usually have a 27" scale neck...
I've said this before, and i'll say it again: Baritone instruments are determined by their tuning, not their scale length. There is no set "standard" scale length for a baritone. The Mike Mushok model is 28" scale and the Ernie Ball Music Man (and OLP) baritones are 30" scale, and i would consider both of these to be more "true" baritones, because they're designed to be tuned B-to-B or A-to-A.

The 27" scale is still great for drop-tuning and 7-strings, but is a more suitable (and versatile) compromise for players more accustomed to standard-scale instruments. A lot of chord voicings and scales would be nearly impossible on a 28" or 30" scale guitar, unless you have HUGE hands.

The 26.5" scale Schecter chose to use is a little odd, but will still give you better string tension than 25.5".

And running the strings through the body won't affect your string tension. It might tighten the "feel" a little bit when bending strings because there will likely be more pressure across the bridge saddles (therefore less slippage) but it won't change the tension.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachet NOX
I've said this before, and i'll say it again: Baritone instruments are determined by their tuning, not their scale length. There is no set "standard" scale length for a baritone. The Mike Mushok model is 28" scale and the Ernie Ball Music Man (and OLP) baritones are 30" scale, and i would consider both of these to be more "true" baritones, because they're designed to be tuned B-to-B or A-to-A.

The 27" scale is still great for drop-tuning and 7-strings, but is a more suitable (and versatile) compromise for players more accustomed to standard-scale instruments. A lot of chord voicings and scales would be nearly impossible on a 28" or 30" scale guitar, unless you have HUGE hands.

The 26.5" scale Schecter chose to use is a little odd, but will still give you better string tension than 25.5".

And running the strings through the body won't affect your string tension. It might tighten the "feel" a little bit when bending strings because there will likely be more pressure across the bridge saddles (therefore less slippage) but it won't change the tension.
I absolutely agree about the concept of baritone being related to tuning rather than scale length.

26.5 inches actually makes some sense for Schecter. Their necks are substantially beefier than Ibanez and I would guess that they were concerned about maintaining proper neck/body balance. 26.5 inches may be as long as they could go without becoming head heavy.

There's also a question of neck stiffness as you go longer. Increasing stiffness can be a very expensive proposition. I've got a pair of embedded graphite rods and my new necks are all 3 piece laminates. Both of those make building a neck an expensive proposition (even if you're building them in Korea) and given the price point that the Blackjack is being sold at, I'm sure that Schecter is very conscious of the production costs.

Tags
body shape , brian moore , bridge saddles , coil split , coil splitting , custom models , darren wilson , ernie ball , grover tuners , mahogany body , maple neck , matic bridge , mike mushok , rosewood board , schecter revenger , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , string guage , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode