A Schecter JEM? - Did Steve move his sponsorship? *;-) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

A Schecter JEM? - Did Steve move his sponsorship? *;-)

All it needs is a monkey grip and a lion's claw!

http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/...1-Classic.html

I guess Ibanez didn't have a trademark on the "Vine of Life" inlay....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:32 PM

A Schecter JEM?

"Tree of Life"/"Vine of Life" inlays have been around since the 1800's. *I've seen some Martin's and old Washburns from the 20's that had extrememly intricate vine inlays. *I don't think it's something that's trademarkable. *I know that Martin still offers the Vine as a custom option, and I'm fairly sure that Taylor and Larrivee do as well. *I'm sure that just about any guitar company with a custom shop will do them as well (I've seen 3 PRS Private Stocks with full vine inlays). *It's a lot more common than most people realize!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:34 PM

A Schecter JEM?

That's just Schecter's version of the "vine of life". *I guess they couldn't come up with their own name....
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:36 PM

A Schecter JEM?

Ibanez has a copyright on THEIR version of a vine.
And plenty of manufacturers for a few hundred years have been making vine inlays, it's not like Ibanez 'created' the vine inlay.
If it didn't have a carved top, neck-through design, 3/3 tuning machine config, tune-o-matic bridge, or only dual humbucker config, it may be close to a JEM. :biggrin:

-Ben

(Edited by BeastofLove at 5:27 pm on Feb. 12, 2002)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:36 PM

A Schecter JEM?

it's not the same inlay, just similar. It's a great looking guitar though, I'd buy it, except it's not an Ibanez, and the volume knob is too close to the picking area for my liking.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

A Schecter JEM?

What you all are saying is true of course. *My comment was meant to be very tongue in cheek. *It does indeed look like a very nice guitar. *

You have to admit though that a company like Schecter, which is more known for its "metal" guitars and artist endorsements, definitely had the upscale Ibanez fan in its sights when they designed that inlay. *It's a different story when a company like Gibson, Martin, et al does it because they have a long history manufacturing guitars and have used it on past models (as has Ibanez). *A custom shop vine inlay (i.e. the PRS comment) is a totally different animal than a full-on production model. *An individual buyer can ask a custom shop for anything really. *Schecter's motives are a bit suspect in my opinion.

I'm not complaining mind you, another nice guitar in what will probably be the mid-level price range *market is a great thing!

G
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 02:54 PM

A Schecter JEM?

i think we all know you were joking.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 06:15 PM

A Schecter JEM?

That vine is pretty tacky....looks like a fireworks display going off.

SS
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 06:38 PM

A Schecter JEM?

I agree with Screamin - overall a nice looking axe but the inlay is a bit much. *I think they overdid it a little. *
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 08:35 PM

A Schecter JEM?

I've seen vines on Corts (the recent CL1500) and on a Jay Turser LP-shaped thing that was probably intended to impersonate a guitar but wasn't fooling me oison: *The Cort had about as much filler around the inlay as my 7VWH had (which is to say, too much, but that's another story)... I'm not sure there was actually any rosewood left in the Jay Turser's fretboard :rotf:
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 04:43 AM

A Schecter JEM?

feeew... i almost fainted reading the topic's title...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 10:16 AM

A Schecter JEM?

The vine has been around forever, and it has been called a "Vine of life" or "Tree of life" for as long as it has been around. *Steve's is cool, but it's far from an original thing. *Even the design isn't that original, the old Bob Weir model Ibanez had a vine nearly identical to the current vine. *

Now, on another note, I've never seen pyramids anywhere but Vai models
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 03:31 PM

A Schecter JEM?

Quote:
Now, on another note, I've never seen pyramids anywhere but Vai models
aren't there pyramids on some BC Riches?
not disappearing tho' :biggrin:

Tags
custom shop , matic bridge , monkey grip , production model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode