Schecter necks VS Ibanez... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Schecter necks VS Ibanez...

im thinking about getting a schecter 7 string, but im trepadacious about the necks, because people have been telling me how awfully huge and baseball-bat-ish they are, but how would you all compare it to say, a les paul? (i hate the necks on les pauls...)

also, does anyone have the neck dimensions? like width and thickness at first and last frets? anyone owning a schecter 7 string that are kind enough to measure for me? :P

im always insecure about purchases... have been since i bought an Edge III equipped RG, and then discovered hate tremolos... :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:25 PM

Re: Schecter necks VS Ibanez...

Which Les Paul necks do you hate? The 60s Slip Taper, rounded 59, 50's rounded, Classic 50's, Supreme rounded, or Early 50's rounded?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 PM

Schecter 7 necks are pretty thick. I don't know the exact dimesions, but they are probably thicker than you average.

Thickness doesn't necessarily bother me, but this may be an issue to you, so your best bet is to play one before you decide.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

ive played an epiphone Les Paul Custom, and a Gibson Les Paul Studio... both were outside my taste...the latter is 59 rounded profile, the epiphone one i dont know, but the Gibson version, the Les paul custom
(they both have the name les paul custom, so i assume the epiphone mimicks the gibson version) has a 1960s slim taper...

im really used to my wizard necks, theyre heaven to play... although, im afraid it might be my doom, now that im almost unable to get used to other necks hehe :P
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:39 PM

The Les Paul Custom has the '59 rounded, much fatter than the 60s slim taper, its the same neck as the studio
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:39 PM

I have two friends that bring Scheck 7's over here on the regular, and they are a totally different beast than a wizard neck, much different than my J-C 7 string.

My main guitar was a PRS custom 22 with a wide-fat neck. It actually took me a while to get used to a thineer neck.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

so, anyone care to guesstimate difference in thickness? like in numbers?

and do you think the wizard-accustomisation will go away with usage of a schecter, or will i suffer from baseball-bat-sickness?

i wish other guitar companies could as much info on their sites as ibanez...
i also wish all guitar companies should start having more info about their stock pickups... especially ibanez... i wanna know specs, dammit! :P
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:51 PM

All I can tell you is this...

I can guarantee that at first, you will definitely notice a difference in the thickness of the neck. It will feel thicker.

I can also guarantee this. If you play it for a while, you will definitley get used to it with no problem; it will feel normal, and that will make all of the other necks you play feel so much slimmer.

It's a thicker neck, but that is not bad in my opinion. As to millimeters in difference, I have no clue.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

well, it DOES sound promising, and im probably just afraid of something different, being an ibanezzer... i will see if i cant afford a schecter 7 string, hopefully an extended scale one, as well as pickups
(please GOD helpe me out on this, in my pickup choise for drop G tuning thread! :P)...
if not, im gunna resort to ibanez... i think :P

ill just play some fat necked stuff in a guitar store and see if i cant get used to it...

its not like ill be shredding anyways, the technicality in the music i play is about as advanced as Deftones... so yeah...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 10:36 PM

Well then you will be fine.

Get a Scheck, it sounds like your speed right now, and if worse comes to worse, drop some pickups in it. It's like a hundred and something dollar job (depending on what you get).

It will give you a load of experience.

If not, get a 1527 and throw some EMGs in it.

I have friends with 7 string Schecks and they are totally happy with them.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

i´m already working on the pickups (in my ´´pickup choise for drop G tuning´´thread :P)... i was originally planning on an RG 7321, but the ONLY reason i favoured it, is that it´s got a Wizard neck... everything else is much more attractive with schecters... so i thought hey, why limit yourself, if you can work around it, and get used to it instead... i mean hell, many people own and love them, so it can´t be too bad! :P

also, about the pickups, i asked dimarzio tech support (they must be really sick of me by now) about which pickups would be the LEAST muddy for Drop G tuning, and they said that the D activator neck would be the least muddy... but it doesen´t look like my kind of pickup, i mean it has like no lows, and very little mids, from looking at the tone chart... i´m thinking D-sonic or Blazes now... (or blaze custom)
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 11:00 PM

I played a 7321 and that neck is pure sex. I went from that directly to a Schecter 7 and the neck was noticeable thicker but I still had no problems riffing around on it.

I am 6'2'' so my hands arent exactly small though.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

height and fingers arent always related hehe... i have spider-y piano-fingers, long and thin, and i started off my musical career as a bassist, my first bass being an Ibanez SR 305 DX 5-string... so my first instrument ever had a fairly wide neck :P i then started playing guitar, and quit the bass...

so now im all guitar... still have the bass though, and still use it, great instrument it is...

also, i started with acoustic, and got an electric way later, and i played all sorts of songs on it, songs made for an electric... so ive played thick necks before...
the wizard neck has just spoiled me :P
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

new problem though: which of the schecter 7s have painted necks, and which of them dont? :P i prefer unpainted necks :/
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 11:49 PM

The Carvins are right in between the Ibanez and the Schecter, if that's a help.

Tags
blaze bridge , blaze neck , blaze pickups , coil tap , duncan designed , epiphone les paul , epiphone les paul custom , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , les paul , les paul custom , les paul studio , les pauls , neck dimensions , playing guitar , seymour duncan , seymour duncans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode