Ibanez JEM Forum banner
17K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  MF_Kitten 
#1 ·
i´m thinking about getting a schecter 7 string, but i´m trepadacious about the necks, because people have been telling me how awfully huge and baseball-bat-ish they are, but how would you all compare it to say, a les paul? (i hate the necks on les pauls...)

also, does anyone have the neck dimensions? like width and thickness at first and last frets? anyone owning a schecter 7 string that are kind enough to measure for me? :p

i´m always insecure about purchases... have been since i bought an Edge III equipped RG, and then discovered hate tremolos... :p

#4 ·
i´ve played an epiphone Les Paul Custom, and a Gibson Les Paul Studio... both were outside my taste...the latter is ´59 rounded profile, the epiphone one i don´t know, but the Gibson version, the Les paul custom
(they both have the name les paul custom, so i assume the epiphone mimicks the gibson version) has a 1960s slim taper...

i´m really used to my wizard necks, they´re heaven to play... although, i´m afraid it might be my doom, now that i´m almost unable to get used to other necks hehe :p

#6 ·
I have two friends that bring Scheck 7's over here on the regular, and they are a totally different beast than a wizard neck, much different than my J-C 7 string.

My main guitar was a PRS custom 22 with a wide-fat neck. It actually took me a while to get used to a thineer neck.

#7 ·
so, anyone care to guesstimate difference in thickness? like in numbers?

and do you think the wizard-accustomisation will go away with usage of a schecter, or will i suffer from baseball-bat-sickness?

i wish other guitar companies could as much info on their sites as ibanez...
i also wish all guitar companies should start having more info about their stock pickups... especially ibanez... i wanna know specs, dammit! :p

#8 ·
All I can tell you is this...

I can guarantee that at first, you will definitely notice a difference in the thickness of the neck. It will feel thicker.

I can also guarantee this. If you play it for a while, you will definitley get used to it with no problem; it will feel normal, and that will make all of the other necks you play feel so much slimmer.

It's a thicker neck, but that is not bad in my opinion. As to millimeters in difference, I have no clue.

#9 ·
well, it DOES sound promising, and i´m probably just afraid of something different, being an ibanezzer... i will see if i can´t afford a schecter 7 string, hopefully an extended scale one, as well as pickups
(please GOD helpe me out on this, in my ´´pickup choise for drop G tuning´´ thread! :p)...
if not, i´m gunna resort to ibanez... i think :p

i´ll just play some fat necked stuff in a guitar store and see if i can´t get used to it...

it´s not like i´ll be shredding anyways, the technicality in the music i play is about as advanced as Deftones... so yeah...

#10 ·
Well then you will be fine.

Get a Scheck, it sounds like your speed right now, and if worse comes to worse, drop some pickups in it. It's like a hundred and something dollar job (depending on what you get).

It will give you a load of experience.

If not, get a 1527 and throw some EMGs in it.

I have friends with 7 string Schecks and they are totally happy with them.

#11 ·
i´m already working on the pickups (in my ´´pickup choise for drop G tuning´´thread :p)... i was originally planning on an RG 7321, but the ONLY reason i favoured it, is that it´s got a Wizard neck... everything else is much more attractive with schecters... so i thought hey, why limit yourself, if you can work around it, and get used to it instead... i mean hell, many people own and love them, so it can´t be too bad! :p

also, about the pickups, i asked dimarzio tech support (they must be really sick of me by now) about which pickups would be the LEAST muddy for Drop G tuning, and they said that the D activator neck would be the least muddy... but it doesen´t look like my kind of pickup, i mean it has like no lows, and very little mids, from looking at the tone chart... i´m thinking D-sonic or Blazes now... (or blaze custom)

#13 ·
height and fingers aren´t always related hehe... i have spider-y piano-fingers, long and thin, and i started off my musical ´´career´´ as a bassist, my first bass being an Ibanez SR 305 DX 5-string... so my first instrument ever had a fairly wide neck :p i then started playing guitar, and quit the bass...

so now i´m all guitar... still have the bass though, and still use it, great instrument it is...

also, i started with acoustic, and got an electric way later, and i played all sorts of songs on it, songs made for an electric... so i´ve played thick necks before...
the wizard neck has just spoiled me :p

#18 ·
well, i thought about sandpapering it down, but hell, i don´t do that kind of stuff... i´ll just get used to it... now, any schecter owners that can tell me which schecter necks are painted, and which arent? are they all painted maybe?

not that it matters that much, but i´m picky :p

#20 ·
i´m getting a c-7 blackjack, i´ve made up my mind now...

it´s 26.5 scale neck, and i´m still unsure whether it would be better with ordinary Blaze pickups, or a blaze custom in the bridge inistead of the blaze bridge...

i´m also wondering if i should just get two blaze neck´s, seeing as the blaze neck has a little less bass, and has tighter low end...

#21 ·
First, on neck thickness... When I bought my first Schecter 7 (a Hellraiser I everntually sold in favor of a blackjack), my main player was a UV7PWH. Today, the PWH's still the main player, but the Blackjack is stealing a lot of playtime - I actually wish the UV had a thicker neck. Can you get used to the non-wizard neck? Yes, easily.

I'm a huge fan of the C7 Blackjack I have. It's an incredibly well-made instrument, easily worth twice what I paid for it. My roommate has a Gibson Les Paul that I've played a lot in the past, and honestly I'd put the Blackjack right up with it in terms of craftsmanship.

For pickups, before you order replacements, why not give the stock Seymour Duncans a shot? I was pleasantly surprised, especially by the '59 in the neck. The JB's great too - if you like the Blaze bridge it's definitely a pickup you can get used to.

#22 ·
well, i was thinking about that, and it seems like it would be worth a shot, i mean why fix it if it aint broken :p

but i do want the blaze custom, but i´m thinking maybe i´ll only replace the JB and keep the 59 in the neck... unless i find out i´m gunna do more lead stuff...

but yeah, my god what boom for the buck, i mean they´re REAL seymour duncan JB and 59, not ´´duncan designed´´... the real deal! :D

AND it has a 5-way with inbetween coil taps, which sounds like my kinda thing :p... i´ve always wanted that on my 6 string :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.