Schecter Synyster Gates Special :D - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Schecter Synyster Gates Special :D

Just ordered this from "The Friend of Musicians" site for $449.00 Black Friday on Thursday

Real Floyd Original, Real Duncan Invaders, Ebony board, set neck with ridiculous access, bound body, neck, and headstock, split coil push-pull wiring for that price? Couldn't pass it up

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Produ...s-Special.aspx

Looks more metal without all the silly stripes too...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Re: Schecter Synyster Gates Special :D

No love for the Syn Special eh

Had to update the experience I've had with MF. I was checking out Black Friday deals on Amazon and noticed they had an additional 15% discount on items sold by Amazon themselves (not 3rd party sellers). For the hell of it I searched for the Syn Special and there it was for $449.99 plus an addition 15% at checkout. Called MF and they honored their price match guarantee even on the checkout discount and gave me a $67.50 credit back...

So $382.49
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 11:11 PM

That's an amazing price. I am not a fan of Seymour Duncan Invaders though but I would probably stick something with less output in neck and be happy. I have never been able to have super high output neck pickup with good sound though I have tried a few times without success.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

This one and the new Petrucci one are the perfect definition of fugly, those guys should be on crack!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
That's an amazing price. I am not a fan of Seymour Duncan Invaders though but I would probably stick something with less output in neck and be happy. I have never been able to have super high output neck pickup with good sound though I have tried a few times without success.
I love high output pickups, though I haven't played with Invaders yet. I play through a GSP1101 and studio monitors so high output works great for me. Evo's are my favorite pickups

Though I watched a youtube review of a guy getting some really sweet cleans with the split coils through a Mesa Boogie. I was actually shocked when I heard it at first. Wasn't expecting much in the clean department.

As for the price, I almost pulled the trigger on one for $850 but I found a good deal for a DBK... $449 was a no brainer, then a surprise 15% on top of that was pretty sweet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
This one and the new Petrucci one are the perfect definition of fugly, those guys should be on crack!
Nah man I've seen a couple of your Youtube vids... you got that definition all wrapped up yourself bro
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 09:29 AM

the price you paid is insane, what a find!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 02:19 PM

Reviews: 120

The Invader bridge, when you set up your amp correctly is a killer pickup. Hits like a sledgehammer.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

I got the Gates yesterday...

The finish was done really nicely except for what looked like a small cloudy dot about the size of a pin head on the back near the trem cover. The body is a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be but it's also more comfortable to play than I though it would be...

It came setup pretty good, but action was a little high for my tastes. The Floyd was well setup, still in tune, and the intonation was right on straight out of the box.

The fret ends were nicely rounded with no sharp edges. The crowns were flat, maybe 1mm wide flat spots so that was good as well. The level job could have been a little better, there were some slightly high/low spots when I leveled the board and checked the fret with a Fret Rocker. Not horrible, but not as good as I would have have liked.

I liked the way it played from the 1st to about the 15th, but it seemed like the neck got really wide fast from then on to the 24th. It just felt weird IDK...

Not a huge fan of the Invader bridge for anything other than drop D type riffage where it sounded freaking awesome with a 5150 model and Redwirz Marshall 1960 cab IR on my GSP1101. The neck Invader was capable of some sweet sustaining liquidy type solos. Did I mention the guitar has really nice sustain? It rings out a bit longer than my DBK even...

I really was digging the guitar after a quick truss adjustment and tuning to drop D. I played it for a good hour straight when I decided to drop the action a bit.

That's when I noticed the bass side stud was leaning quite a bit towards the neck, the treble side was leaning a little bit also but not as bad as the bass side. Took the trem out, and there was a lot of play in the stud, the top of the anchor was pulled way forward and it was loose.

Back to MF it goes for a refund... I would have been happy with an exchange, but they said since I payed with paypal they had to do a return for refund?

Oh well, guess I'll use the cash to upgrade the hardware I need to get for my Wenge top build....
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 08:52 PM

The body looks ok style wise but practicality wise it sucks. The top horn stuck me in the chest and the cutaway was too small for my hands. The invaders are not my thing either.

Good price but i would agree to send it back.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
The body looks ok style wise but practicality wise it sucks. The top horn stuck me in the chest and the cutaway was too small for my hands. The invaders are not my thing either.

Good price but i would agree to send it back.
I didn't have any of those issues with it, I actually thought it was a comfortable guitar to play and the upper fret access was great for me.

Would have loved to have kept it really...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Someone I know is a huge Gates fan and got this guitar but he talks about how thick the neck is for his hands. Had him test out a JEM and he could tell how easy it was to play
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Someone I know is a huge Gates fan and got this guitar but he talks about how thick the neck is for his hands. Had him test out a JEM and he could tell how easy it was to play
If I kept it I would have taken a few mm off the neck thickness. I planned on stripping the paint off the neck when I bought it, I hate playing on painted necks. My favorite neck finish is mineral oil, it leaves the neck smooth and silky feeling... it can also be used as a laxative in a pinch
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
If I kept it I would have taken a few mm off the neck thickness. I planned on stripping the paint off the neck when I bought it, I hate playing on painted necks. My favorite neck finish is mineral oil, it leaves the neck smooth and silky feeling... it can also be used as a laxative in a pinch
I'm glad I don't need laxatives in order to "pinch"....yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode