scored a 2020x - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

scored a 2020x

Hello,

I just scored a used 2020x. The guitar was something that I had wanted forever. I do have a few questions and issues though,

1. My main guitar is a USA custom with a thin wizard neck. I don't really like the neck on the 2020x, can it be swaped with a wizard neck, or would the wizard neck sit too low in the neck joint?

2. The tone with the pickups sort of sucks. I've read the stock pickups suck, but these really suck. The tone is flat and lifeless, there is no body what so ever. Also, it seems that the tone knob doesn't do a thing. This might not be working, which is why the tone is so bad.

Also, the mini switch: my guitar didn't come with a manual, so I've had to search the web for some info. The mini switch is a toggle between the piezo and the mag's, right? If you are using a standard 1/4" in the B jack, without it being stereo (so no piezo), is the switch a hum spliter? It seems that I have two very different sounds on my bridge p/u when I flip this switch. One sound, which is sounds like a full hum, is thicker (switch towards the jacks), but also has ground hum (something my other guitar doesn't have), and the other is more of a split sound (switch towards the neck), thinner and without the hum.

Anyway, it's a really beautiful guitar with lot's of potential. Perhaps it just has some shorts somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 04:51 PM

Hello & welcome to the forum.

1. I'mnot sure about swapping the neck althopugh I think you should be able to do it.

2. The stock pups aren't the greatest - I changed mine out for a TZ bridge and AN neck. If you want to do this, you should take it to a tech unless you're very familiar with the wiring scheme - go here for more info:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/rewire.htm

The mini switch switches from magnetic to piezo when you're plugged into the A jack (the one closer to the lower horn or "north") - when the switch is "up" (toward the neck) you are using the magnetic pups, down for the piezos, which will sound muddy if you're not using a clean tone.

Not sure about the hum when in piezo mode - check your battery.

Mark
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 07:16 PM

Nice score! I'm recording with mine right now....
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 09:06 PM

Reviews: 1
Hello!

I switched the neck on my rg2020 to a JPM neck,
and works great.

If you wizard neck is aanj, just swap and test, if not; switch back, no harm done.

You can also measure the height of the necks at the joint, before you switch.

When changing pickups, be VERY careful with piezo wire on the trem.

Enjoy your guitar.

Tony
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

I switched the bridge for an evo that I had purchased for my USA Custom, youch! that's bright!. I'm going to pull it out today...

I think I'm going to send it back for a TZ. I have one in a Hamer (basswood), but I thought that it was too dark, but perhaps with the mahagony, it will brighten up a bit, but tame the brightness in the mah.

Has anyone switched out the tone (500k) for a 250K? I'm wondering if that would help reign in some of the highs.

As for the neck, I measured it against my Wizard, I think it's good to go, so I'll try that...

One last thing... I wired the Evo according to the diagram from the project guitar site. I get lot's of ground loop hum, regardless of whether I'm running two cables or one to the amp(s). Perhaps I need to have 2 dimarzio's in order to use that diagram? Also, is the multi jack a stereo jack or a standard mono 1/4"? I'm running it mono, is that my problem?

Thanks again for the help, you guys are great....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 07:42 PM

I can tell you that both output jacks are mono ones.That shouldn't be a problem.THe only time I encounter ground loops is when I run both signals to two different amps.It is solved by using a ground loop eliminator or sometimes guys will even use a direct box or The fishman floor unit can even help with the problem.

Hope you figure out your issue.But your magnetic signal shouldn't hum if none of your other guitars don't.

Tags
beautiful guitar , clean tone , jpm neck , neck joint , thin wizard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode