Scored an S guitar! - Is this a Gambale model? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Scored an S guitar! - Is this a Gambale model?

I really loved my DSY S540LTD, but after a few years the yellow and sharkfins outlived their welcome so I sold it on ebay. *After a more natural look, I picked up a used S520WFN, nice but didn't have the same feel...out it went. *My real desire is an S540fm...we'll see.

So I'm scouring the online classifieds, and stumble upon this S, and through correspondence discover it has an Edge, so I'm suspecting a S540. *For $150 shipped to my door, could I go wrong?

It arrives...I pleasantly surprised by some aspects, and somewhat bemused by others. *Here it is after a much-needed cleaning, neck tweak, and trem setup. *(Shown with nut clamps borrowed from my RG...it's were missing, will contact Rich).

http://209.25.234.11/uploads/gambaletop.jpg
http://209.25.234.11/uploads/gambalehead.jpg

It's in VG-EX condition...the neck is near perfect, minimal fretwear, and the body has some minor wear, but no dings to speak of. *SS# = F118066. *Plays and sounds great.

When I was cleaning the Edge, the corner *fell* off...not sure what happened there, I was not abusive, I promise! I suppose it's not a big deal since it does not affect function. *May need to dremel the sharp edge down.

http://209.25.234.11/uploads/gambaleedge.jpg

Now for the interesting part. *One of the first things I noticed were the knobs...I don't recall seeing these on any 540 models. *Next is the pups...standard F1 in the neck, but has a DP101 Dual Sound in the bridge and an HS3 in the middle. *Nice. *This could be a case of mere part swapping, but the solders look original. *Next is up on the head...no string tree like on S540s, no holes for it at all. *The pickups are recessed a bit, but I can't recall if all 540s are like that. *Also, has the AANJ.

From the above clues, my suspicion is that this might be an early Gambale model. *The only older catalog I have is from 94, and it shows the FG300 with no string tree and those funky knobs (and different Dimarzios). *Did the 540 ever come like this? *Or possible just some clever part swapping?

Anybody have an old catalog that shows this puppy...or can help identify?

Either way, I don't really care...I'm quite pleased to have another old S in the quiver. *I got this cheap enough...may be a candiate for a swirl? *Nah.
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 10:08 PM

Scored an S guitar!

Seems to me like you scored a FGM100BK from 1991, I would give a leg for a FGM100SB( Sky Blue)
Congratulations

Sincerely
Stefano Giusti
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Scored an S guitar!

Thanks for the ID, Stefano. *Looks like even a better deal than I had thought.
Greg
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Scored an S guitar!

yep - it's the recessed pickups that give away the gambale model
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 08:44 AM

Scored an S guitar!

Blimey! Talk about luck! for $150 no less!?! I'm beside myself with envy

Hope you enjoy it...

Me, I'd like to fine one of the DY ones with the matching inlay - can you say cheese :biggrin:

Tags
dual sound , gambale model , string tree

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode