SCREWS ON THE BACK OF THE NECK??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

SCREWS ON THE BACK OF THE NECK???

hi everyone...first time posting here

i have a final choice b/w an ESP MH250 or an Ibanez RG370DX...everyone sugested the RG5xx series but they have screws on the back of the joint b/w the head and neck...which is bad in the long run. can anyone temme if the newer RG370DX guitars also have these screws? if they do i might as well opt for the ESP...any other thoughts on the ESP MH250 vs. the RG370DX???? thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Vendor

Then I'll again tell you to stick to the 5 series, and stick to the thru mounted nuts. I hate these top mounted ones!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 12:43 PM

What's bad about the screws? Are you worried the headstock joint is weak?

One anecdote:

I have a RG570 (probably an '89 or so, can't remember.) Once I hung it up on this rack that I've made (about 7 feet high) and walked away -- with my wireless still plugged into the guitar and also still attached to my belt. The guitar fell 7 feet, flipped over and landed directly on the headstock as I watched in horror, and -- it was perfectly fine, except for a small scratch.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 07:20 PM

Ok, here's my anekdote:

My saber fell head-over off stage. Small scratch on the headstock; but nothing serious happened.

Yes, those neck joints can break. In one of 1000 cases.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 03:57 PM
RCB

It seems that you really dont know much about this guitars. Believe us, go for the RG5xx series. The "srews" you talk about are ment to adjust the locking nut. There is nothing wrong with that (just dont over adjust them adding innecesary pressure, because the wood will crack). I had Ibanez for more than 12 years, and I never har a problem.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 01:20 AM

I'd like to add my story . . .

Playing in the basement with my 1990 RG 550 . . .

Girlfriend comes down and ROYALLY p's's me off . . .

I THROW the guitar across the room . . . walls are stone, floor is concrete . . . the guitar ping-pongs off of the wall, the floor and a support beam . . .

Realizing what Iíve done Iím near tears (more concerned about the guitar than the girl-friend, and no, I didn't throw it at her) . . .

I pick it up, and itís a little out of tune and a crack has started between the very screws youíre so worried about . . .

That was about 12 years ago and you know what? I still play that guitar every other day, and it still stays in (nearly) perfect tune . . . and the crack, while slightly larger then when it happened hasnít caused one problem, and I havenít bothered to squeeze any glue in it yet.

Mic
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 12:23 AM

12 years of reliable service?

Screw the girl, take care of your guitar sir. It's earned a little love.

550's truly are the warhorse of Ibanez's. I've beat mine to bloody death, dropped it countless times, hell I even lit it on fire and it still plays and stays in tune flawlessly.

Great guitars, I defy anyone to show proof of a more reliable axe. Everyone should own one.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQ7String

That's about all she was good for . . .

Okay, this one is going to be deleted . . . :P

Mic
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic
Quote:

That's about all she was good for . . .

Okay, this one is going to be deleted . . . :P

Mic
are you still dating her...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 10:06 PM

"That's about all she WAS good for." Past tense . . .

Though, I wouldn't mind an occasional "romp" with her every now and again . . . she was about the hottest girl I'd ever dated, but I think I'd rather spend "quality" talk time with Charles Manson instead of her . . . a real "female dog" as personalities go.

Mic
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 11:54 PM

Quote:

550's truly are the warhorse of Ibanez's. I've beat mine to bloody death, dropped it countless times, hell I even lit it on fire and it still plays and stays in tune flawlessly.

Great guitars, I defy anyone to show proof of a more reliable axe. Everyone should own one.
AMEN!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 12:27 AM

I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Lepidoptera
I have a RG570 (probably an '89 or so, can't remember.) Once I hung it up on this rack that I've made (about 7 feet high) and walked away -- with my wireless still plugged into the guitar and also still attached to my belt. The guitar fell 7 feet, flipped over and landed directly on the headstock as I watched in horror, and -- it was perfectly fine, except for a small scratch.
"...the rest of the story" In the interest of completeness, I revive this thread with an update on this guitar. It's now some years after this incident occurred, and suddenly... cracks in the neck have appeared!!!

See this thread
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 11:02 AM

Once I had a Gibson SG fall off a stand on stage; the headstock would have landed somewhere in the audience if not for the strings. I mean BANG it was totally off the guitar in a nanosecond. It was an early 60's model with the black P90's that Townshend used to smash all the time. I never heard of that happening to any bolt on neck guitar.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Once I had a Gibson SG fall off a stand on stage; the headstock would have landed somewhere in the audience if not for the strings. I mean BANG it was totally off the guitar in a nanosecond. It was an early 60's model with the black P90's that Townshend used to smash all the time. I never heard of that happening to any bolt on neck guitar.
Overheard a guy in one of my classes last semester talking about his guitar (a Gibson Les Paul or SG, not sure which). He strung it up (heavy strings) and played it for a bit and then went for a class, leaving it in his dorm room. He came back and the guitar was where he left it, but the headstock had ripped itself off. He said someone had dropped it the night before, but wasn't sure that was the cause since it was perfectly fine when he left that morning.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 04:22 AM

Quote:
any other thoughts on the ESP MH250 vs. the RG370DX???? thanks...
they both loose...

(go for a 5xx! )

Tags
gibson les paul , les paul , locking nut , neck joint , neck joints

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode