To sell or not to sell RG570? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
rx

Question To sell or not to sell RG570?

I bought an RG570 from **** a while ago for $400. it's a 99 model, and came with two EMG 81 actives and the stock passive single coil in the middle. the body is in pretty good condition, no chips, just scratches and tiny dings in the bottom corner. came with a fender hardshell case.

now here's what's making me consider selling it...... the trem stud is crooked and therefore the edge trem is crooked by very little. it's almost impossible to remove the slanting stud because the top chipped. the the slanting stud is in too deep into the body, so whenever I pull up, the knifeedges lift up from the stud and go out of tune. besides, the EMG pickups aren't wired well. it doesn't even use EMG pots (uses stock ibanez pots) and the pickup plugs were cut off and has been soldered onto the pickup selector switch. the bridge EMG 81 doesn't even work in humbucker mode (simple wiring problem).

here is a picture of the chipped stud tip:
http://server1.ripplehost.com/~rh2557/pics/IMG_0091.JPG

misaligned/crooked trem:
http://server1.ripplehost.com/~rh2557/pics/IMG_0092.JPG
(it not just crooked from the top, but since one stud is deeper than the other, it's also slanted by another axis... and I can't fix the stud height because the stud is chipped!)

I paid $400 for this. I can either fix it up, or I can just sell it and forget about it. But I don't want to lose any money. so here are my questions:

A) should I sell this guitar or fix it up and use it?

B) if I should sell, should I part it out or sell it as a whole package?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 12:33 AM

Re: To sell or not to sell RG570?

Are you sure this is a '99 model? This trem looks older and worse than the edge on my '90 rg. I'm not just talking about the obvious chipped stud but the blistering of the finish and rust in the locks and on the lock screws. Anyway, from a strictly monetary standpoint, fix it. That is if you can do the work yourself. If you can't fix it yourself I really don't see how you are not going to lose money.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 12:43 AM

I think I'd try to fix the stud because it's otherwise a good guitar. Have you tried to simply unscrew the stud with the Allen key? Wouldn't it come out of the body?

I think I'd go to a tech and get a quote for the repair. Perhaps the hole would have to be filled (if it's crooked) and re-drilled. Then get a new stud and you're good to go.

If the repair sets you back too much, I think you may get more if you sell the parts separately, but I think it would be a bit hard to get the $400 back, mainly because of the stud and the tampered-with EMGs.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 12:49 AM

IMO opinionit wouldn't even be worth selling. I just bought new studs for my 7620, and they're only $6 a piece. I'm sure you can get a hex wrench in there to take it out. It should not cost too much to have the hole filled and then redrilled. Minor things that need attention, but I think it's definitely worth doing.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 01:31 AM

Yeah, I agree with everyone else on this one. I wouldn't sell the guitar simply because it can be fixed and I really think that you'd be losing money if you just sold it off. I mean, you hear people on this site always talking about buying one of those guitars and YOU HAVE ONE. So yeah, if you like the way it plays aside from a simple wiring problem and the trem thing, then I would definitely suggest fixing it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 03:28 AM

The guy who sold you this RG is a jemsiter. I remember these pics from some thread, he has got same problem. So you can find that thread and look for answers. I think it was in tech, repairs... section.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 03:57 AM

Phillip,

rx was the one who posted that one, in the jem section. Same guy.

My advise is to have a good tech fix it up for you.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
rx

yeah that was me

I'm really reluctant to have a tech fix it for me, because it'll cost too much money, and I didn't mean to spend so much on a used guitar.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 01:28 PM

Sorry guys! :-) I couldn't find the thread I was talking about. I was just confused that rx bought it from evilbay.

If it's only stud and the body wood is not damaged I would keep it. It is only one stud and refilling and redrillingl stud hole is not very expensive.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 02:27 PM

Fix it. Yeah, its a pain to be fixing someone elses problems but you'll have a great working guitar when your done. And what's a couple more bucks on top of $400.

Even if that bridge wasn't crooked and working fine, that stud would cause you nightmares forever till you fixed it(not being able to adjust the height of the trem). Everything you need for the trem can be had from Rich at Ibanezrules.com. I'd buy 2 new studs just for the fun of it and replace both of them. You shouldn't have to worry about the anchors unless they're physically damaged, which I doubt.

Thinking about it, the trem might be a replacement and the original owner thinking he needed to replace the anchors, replaced them and some how managed to get the one in there crooked, but doubtful again.

Either taking it apart yourself or go to a guitar tech and you'll find out what's going on and figure out how to go about fixing it.

Anyway, fix it. You'll be wasting for time putting it up for sale and tracking down a new guitar then it would be to fix it.

Dan
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
rx

there are three types of trem posts at ibanezrules.com....... which one do I have to use? do they all fit in the same anchor?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 07:00 PM

Ah yeah, should have mentioned that. Yours probably aren't the locking ones, you would have a small allen that fits inside the stud and turns a little screw that locks the stud. I'll take a pic of mine for my new guitar and post it in a few so you can see what I'm talking about. Ibanez started fazing the locking ones out in 98 with ones that don't lock. Lots of guys with newer RG's and such have been replacing the non-locking with the locking ones (that's why ashbass who frequents here, sells them on evilbay for a pretty penny). You could do the same if you wanted.

I've never bought them from Rich(maybe some here has and can chime in) but the Old Design 92'-00' should be the locking ones and the EP - Non Locking should be the ones you have. I'd double check with Rich before ordering though, maybe send him a pic of yours to make sure you get the right ones. I'm sure how/what his labeling means so only he would know for sure.

The anchors are all the same. Every Jem, JS, RG, S... I've touched had the same anchors in them. A M8(8mm) - 1.25 bolt is what I've been using for years to pull Ibanez anchors out. I think its 70mm long, long enough to get my hand around it or mount it in a vice while I pull on the body.

Dan

Edit: pic added

Last edited by ddragon64; 04-19-2005 at 07:10 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Vendor

The locking studs were not "phased" out. Everything MIJ had them in 2002, and then didn't in 2003 when the Edge Pro came out.

Redesigned lockers are more open and allow free'er movement, closer return to pitch after pull-up, a little better performance. The old design studs are all new studs I took out of new guitars to replace with redesigned.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 07:15 PM

Ah ok, that helps. Thanks Rich, that straights my a$$ out on that subject.

Damn, you caught my "phased" out. I was wondering how long I'd get away with that one. Eh, maybe I'll get "band" for it.

Dan
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddragon64
Ah yeah, should have mentioned that. Yours probably aren't the locking ones, you would have a small allen that fits inside the stud and turns a little screw that locks the stud. I'll take a pic of mine for my new guitar and post it in a few so you can see what I'm talking about. Ibanez started fazing the locking ones out in 98 with ones that don't lock. Lots of guys with newer RG's and such have been replacing the non-locking with the locking ones (that's why ashbass who frequents here, sells them on evilbay for a pretty penny). You could do the same if you wanted.

I've never bought them from Rich(maybe some here has and can chime in) but the Old Design 92'-00' should be the locking ones and the EP - Non Locking should be the ones you have. I'd double check with Rich before ordering though, maybe send him a pic of yours to make sure you get the right ones. I'm sure how/what his labeling means so only he would know for sure.

The anchors are all the same. Every Jem, JS, RG, S... I've touched had the same anchors in them. A M8(8mm) - 1.25 bolt is what I've been using for years to pull Ibanez anchors out. I think its 70mm long, long enough to get my hand around it or mount it in a vice while I pull on the body.

Dan

Edit: pic added
but the studs I have ARE the locking ones, both sides. so I should get the locking studs, right? which is the best out of the three?

Tags
edge trem , guitar tech , locking stud , locking studs , pickup selector switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode