Sell whole or part out? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Question Sell whole or part out?

I am considering selling my Prestige 2570 to fund a custom guitar purchase. Would I make more by selling it whole, or parting it out? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 06:33 PM

Re: Sell whole or part out?

I'd be interested in the neck if your going the parting way let me know .
Has it the shark tooth inlays ?

Marty.

Last edited by Martallica; 04-30-2007 at 01:43 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it does.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 07:35 PM

You will make more by parting it out. The neck, hardware, and trem would be where the bulk of the profit comes from. The body will be minimal.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:53 AM

depends on what the condition of the guitar is. if it is mint to new condition, you could probably get more from selling it whole on the bay. even if it's in player condition, you probably would only get more if you are able to successfully sell the neck, body and trem. hardware (tuners, knobs, pickups, guts, etc.) will be minimal. i'd say you can probably get around $200 for the prestige neck, $150-$200 for the lo pro edge and maybe $200 for the body. these are just my observations from watching the bay, but i'd say they are fairly accurate. if the guitar is mint or new, you can probably get around the same amount.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

The guitar is NOS, serial number F05xxxx and is dead mint. I haven't even set it up yet. GAS is a terrible thing!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 05:03 PM

The only way I've ever really made money doing that is taking a guitar I get for cheap (like an RG5XX for $150 to $250, or an RG370DX with sharky neck for like $130 or something like that) then parting it out, because the initial investment is so low, you can't help but score on it.

The problem is that the 'bay is very fickle, and a neck that goes for $300 one day may go for half that the next - you never know. Sure, you can always set reserves and sit there and keep relisting, but it'd likely be easier to just sell the guitar outright. That being said, I think I saw a neck for one of those crappy Indo Guitar Center RG whatever specials go for like 300 bucks the other day - which is pretty much more than the guitar is worth - so who knows...

Tags
custom guitar , pro edge , shark tooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode