Seriousness of neck joint crack? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Seriousness of neck joint crack?

Hey guys! I know, there are about 1000 threads on the neck joint crack problem, but all the answers range from "dont worry about it" to "its doomed, it will go the way of evo".

I was wondering how serious this problem is because i currently have my local guitar shop holding a hot pink-ish rg550 with a thin, whitish neck joint crack about a centimeter long. Its a beautiful guitar and i cant wait to get it home, but is this crack serious enough that i should not buy this guitar?

They also have another 550 in desert yellow which has cracks but they are about half the size of the other 550, maybe a half a centimeter. This guitar is nice too, but i prefer the pink one a little more(they are the same price), should i go with the yellow one because of the smaller cracks?

I dont mind the cracks in the guitar, she plays great and everything, but will they grow to be a big problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 11:05 AM

Re: Seriousness of neck joint crack?

If its only a centimeter long, then its nothing.
Its only when it gets to 2 inches or so or more that you need to look closely. Dont worry about it at all. All of the secondhand/used RG's that I have owned have had the neck joint crack. I have never found it to affect the guitars performance in any way.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

yeah, after a rethink and a quick look at the ruler i think its about 2-3 cm or an inch. thanks for the info!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:38 PM

It might just be the paint thats cracked. I know from experience, sometimes when you take a neck off its chips/cracks and looks more serious than it actually is. Just keep an eye on it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:39 PM

Get hold of the guitar with the top horn in one hand and the headstock in the other. Give it a good bit of pressure whilst looking at the crack. If you see it move then it's a problem. If it doesn't move then things will be fine. I have been known in the past to drop some epoxy resin in there with a pin , then remove the excess with a razor blade before it dries. That fix lasted 5 years before I sold it. There's a good chance it's still holding now.

Ben
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:59 PM

I wouldn't worry about the cracks at all. They are pretty normal. But even if it became a problem, it can be repaired easily.

More importantly, you need to buy both of those guitars (assuming the price is reasonable). Sell one off if you want, but those things are getting harder to find every day.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone, ill try that eggy. Yeah, shes a real beauty, really easy to play and she sounded good unplugged, although she has stock pickups(no labels on them tho, the other one has the v1, s1, v2 pickups) so i may have to change those out real soon. Yeah, they didnt affect playablility at all, i was just worried because the crack i saw on the evo which effectively rendered the guitar useless.

Lol ryan b, id love to buy both, theyre priced at $350 which is a great deal, but i cant really afford to buy both right now, im a student and need all the money i can get!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

also, i just checked out their serial numbers which i wrote down,f934262 for the yellow, and f739209 for the pink. If i followed the guide on ibanezrules.com right, that means the yellow one is from 1989 and the pink one is from 1987!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 01:41 PM

Putting presure on it isnt gonna do your guitar many favours. If in doubt, fill it with epoxy anyway, if it is cracked and its deeper than it seems, you never know what damage you could do by putting even more stess on it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel627 View Post
also, i just checked out their serial numbers which i wrote down,f934262 for the yellow, and f739209 for the pink. If i followed the guide on ibanezrules.com right, that means the yellow one is from 1989 and the pink one is from 1987!
The "pink" one sounds like a faded Road Flare Red. It should have the matching headstock?

The yellow one should have a black headstock? If the yellow has a matching headstock you hsould buy it so you can sell it to me for a small profit
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:43 PM

My old JEM555 developed a crack like that and it didn't affect the playability of it at all .

Regards

André

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 09:58 PM

Given the age of the 2 guitar, paint cracks like this are extrememly common, I have a 90 model that had two cracks from the corners of the pockets extending far up both horns, I stripped the paint (I only had to peel it off) and there was no wood crack whatsoever. My 270 on the other hand has a small crack and the sides are uneven and when I stripped it, it of course had a small wood crack.

Old paint is very brital and will crack very easily so if the crack isnt wide, unflush or splintered its very unlikley that the wood is cracked.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
The "pink" one sounds like a faded Road Flare Red. It should have the matching headstock?

The yellow one should have a black headstock? If the yellow has a matching headstock you hsould buy it so you can sell it to me for a small profit
Yep, thats the color, road flare red. And yes, the yellow one has the matching headstock,lol! But idk, the road flare red one sounds a little better to me.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
Given the age of the 2 guitar, paint cracks like this are extrememly common, I have a 90 model that had two cracks from the corners of the pockets extending far up both horns, I stripped the paint (I only had to peel it off) and there was no wood crack whatsoever. My 270 on the other hand has a small crack and the sides are uneven and when I stripped it, it of course had a small wood crack.

Old paint is very brital and will crack very easily so if the crack isnt wide, unflush or splintered its very unlikley that the wood is cracked.
idk, the cracks on the desert yellow are about the same length but the road flare red has a larger crack on the top horn than the bottom
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel627 View Post
idk, the cracks on the desert yellow are about the same length but the road flare red has a larger crack on the top horn than the bottom
Sorry I meant the sides of the crack itself were not flush.

Tags
beautiful guitar , black headstock , guitar shop , local guitar shop , neck joint , road flare red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode