Setting pickup Height on the RG2027 (or any), any tips? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Setting pickup Height on the RG2027 (or any), any tips?

Is this like most of the RG7's, ie, no springs? To be honest I don't want to spend my life removing trems or destringing just to be able to adjust the pickup height all the time if this is the case so...

1)I remember someone saying something about foam. does this work?

2)Are there supposed to be springs under the pickup or is it supposed to be direct mounted?

3)If no springs, has anyone retrofitted them?

Basically I want to play around with pickup height before I decide I don't like the pickups in it (evo7/paf7)

Cheers, and sorry if this thread has been started before in some way...

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 10:59 AM

I've had no problems adjusting mine with the mounting screws. Never actually disassembled it to see if there were springs or foam or whatnot in there, but the screws DO adjust the height, so my guess is yep.

-Drew

PS- by the way, is there some version of the "removing the trem" trick that can be used on this thing? my impression is that, seeing as the thing's wired to the guitar, you couldn't, but is there enough slack in it to pop it off for some maintnence? That's reall the only thing i don't like about the double edge (that and that cosmo black is fairly rpone to pimpling, and this trem had already gotten a good start on the bass side by the time i got it)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 11:06 AM
Vendor

No springs, there's 2 strips of dense foam under each pup. It's compressed right now, and really does not bounce back. You can replace with fresh weather stripping foam.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Would puting some kind of springs in there be a good idea instead of the foam? Much like on a single coil pup?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 11:17 AM
Vendor

Then you'll have a rocking pickup, not exactly the point of direct mount
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 11:22 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees
Would puting some kind of springs in there be a good idea instead of the foam? Much like on a single coil pup?
It would be very useful for allowing pickup height adjustment I would have no objections... since "direct mount" does not thrill me any more than pickguard mount or ring mount. Your mileage will vary... glen
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 11:23 AM
Vendor

So would fresh foam
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

mmmmm..... I'm not sure I really care too much for direct mount that much (especially as foam is an insulator and absorbs vibrations, bye bye direct mount theory ) so I might try finding some small springs instead, just makes life easier overall, especially as I seem to have to annoying habit of fiddling with the height every so often and would prefer to not have to remove all the strings if the foam has died on me again...

Might try it with the foam to stabilise the rocking...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 01:43 PM

Try McMaster-Carr as they have tons 'o stuff including springs, screws, inserts, etc.

Randy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 04:52 AM
dex

You guys might laugh, but I've always used ballpoint pen springs.
They fit perfectly most pick-up screws and there's always a bunch of pens in my bag that I've picked up from all the training sessions that my company organises.

Give it a try.

Tags
pickup height

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode