Settle an argument. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Question Settle an argument.

A friend of mine claims the RG's neck pickup is in the same place the S series. It's the bridge and bridge pickup that is closer.

I say that the Ss bridge and bridge pickup are in the same place as the RG in the scale spectrum. But the RGs neck pickup is closer to the bridge compared to the S.

He is claiming I am wrong.

He said this

Quote:
With an RG, it's not so much the neck pickup thats been pushed back,
but the bridge and bridge pickup that sit further forward on the
guitar.

Actually Kevin, the RG bridge, and bridge pickup, DOES sit further forward on the guitar. 21cm from the bridge to the upper neck join, compared to 23.5cm on the S. 17cm from bridge to lower neck join, as opposed to 19cm on the S.The neck pickups on BOTH guitars are in almost the SAME position. The RG's sitting to the front by 0.5cm. It's the bridge (and it's pickup) sitting closer to the front of the guitar that narrows the gap between pickups. NOT the neck pushing the neck pickup further back into the body. The neck ends in the SAME position on both guitars (the last fret parallel with the lowest part of the lower horn).
And he used this to prove it

I told him that his lining up was ALL wrong.

That it should look like..

Showing a better relation. Comparing scale length position to scale length position.

He is also trying to say that the 24f RG guitar as a whole isn't bigger than a S series length wise...

*heads in hand*

Last edited by Ke^in; 07-08-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Vendor

Re: Settle an argument.

You have it right of course, but some people will just never see it the right way.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You have it right of course, but some people will just never see it the right way.
yup, well said, rich

rich
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:08 AM

Yup, your friend is nuts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:33 PM

Point out the fact that in his diagram, the frets aren't lined up. Also send him to this thread, where the guru of Ibanez has backed up your statement as well.

That should be enough.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:44 PM

Reviews: 1

first the S has 22 frets and the RG 24, that slightly difference will make the pups different aswell... imo
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:45 PM

Your friend also might not understand that the scale length on both guitars is the same (25-1/2" from nut to bridge saddles), and therefore the fret layout is exactly the same. Your side-by-side pics have the frets lined up reasonably closely and depict the situation very well.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
Your friend also might not understand that the scale length on both guitars is the same (25-1/2" from nut to bridge saddles), and therefore the fret layout is exactly the same. Your side-by-side pics have the frets lined up reasonably closely and depict the situation very well.
This is correct and the mistake that your friend appears to be making is using the bottom of the guitar body as a reference point. The left over wood between the bridge and the bottom of the guitear is actually quite irrelavent as you could cut the wood strait across under the bridge without affecting the the playability of the guitar hence it is safe to assume that this measurement can and in fact does vary from model to model. Your diagram corectly lines the relavent reference points (ie. nut to saddle) corectly showing that 24 frets protrude deeper into the body than do 22, thus pushing the neck pups closer to the bridge. Also in his pic you can see that the RG headstock is aprox. 1/2" -3/4" taller than the S.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:18 AM

shouldnt a point of reference be where the strings sit on each saddle. on the s the bridge pickup is closer to the bridge(where the strings leap off the saddles) and on the rg the bridge hum is further away. maybe because on the rg the bridge saddles are closer to the pivot point or the edge of the cavity for the bridge and on the s the saddles are further in from the edge of the cavity...but all in all, from eye ballin it it seems as though the distance from the bridge pickup to the saddles is roughly the same distance but on the rg the bridge pickup appears to be further away...

and yes, if you were to put a ring on the bridge pup on the rg it would still appear to be further away
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:26 AM

Reviews: 1

He obviously measures "Mr.Happy" his way so it looks longer........
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

AHahhaha

He backed down and hasn't posted to the thread since I explained it to him.

I was trying to explain to someone why I'd rather have a 22 then 24f S. He was trying to correct me by saying the neck pickups were in the same place.

*sigh* thanks guys.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge pickup , bridge pup , bridge saddles , guitar body , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck pup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode