Seven string not working out - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Seven string not working out

So ive been playing guitar properly now for about 5 years(not including the on and off mess about times when i was younger) and im about to go off to Music school at the G.I.T in London and ive got two sevens ive had for about 8 months now... now i grabed them when the price was right (dam right if you get me) and have been playing them on and off during that time, so you know its not like im some kid whos just picked it up and decided i cant make it do what petrucci can do so im bored. The issue ive got is i thought that having the low B would be awsome and versitile... well its great i find if i wanna do a song in a key where i need a D or even a C but i find my low B is just a bit too intense and i fall back on Chug Chug Bmin type riffs which im bored of now days. I know thats just lazy and there are plenty more things you can do but seriously... i mean ive been wondering if going back to 6es for now then reinvestigating 7 strings would be better at a later date or if at all. Any one else had this? Its a bit moany and existenital i know so bummer if it bores you.

Plus ive been well disalousioned with what guitar companies are producing in general and the prices they want to charge for them, im contemplating pulling a Ron Jarzombek and building my own out of parts and stuff...

Thoughts comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:56 PM

Re: Seven string not working out

You could try retuning with some crazy thing, I know Paul Gilbert did something with 3 D's on top.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:16 AM

I always keep a seven around for writing.Then I transpose the ideas to a six for performing.Sometimes the extra string makes me approach things differently and I come up with different chord voicings than I would on a six.I have smaller hands or I would use one for gigging.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 06:25 PM

I think the key is to not think like "wow, I have a 7th string I need to use it" but rather "Its better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it"
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:39 PM

I'm not a seven-string expert by any means but . . . I found that if I tune the G string to an F#, it allows me to approach the bottom six strings (B E A D F# B) like a normal 6 string (with a "high" E).
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
I think the key is to not think like "wow, I have a 7th string I need to use it" but rather "Its better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it"
Yeah your not wrong Robb. I sat down last night after work and watched a whole bunch of Dave Weiner ROTW stuff and came to a similar approach, much like me and trems and frets 23 and 24. That and ive got a 7 im going to put into drop A and put a Paf7 setin it i think, do some jazz stuff to give me a wider scope.

One thing that probably would piss me off if i did give up my 7's would be the bridge width... my right hand sits about a million times better on it than a 6 stirng bridge, gotta love paddle hands yeah haha. Plus the extra mass of wood due to the wider body certanly beefs up over all tone.

Thanks for the input guys its been instrumental in clearing up my does of the EMO's.

ED: The above was an unintentional and terrible pun.

Last edited by CaptainD00M; 02-23-2009 at 02:42 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 PM

Reviews: 4

Ron Jarzombek has some very nice guitars that he builds himself. I used to take lessons from Ron since he lives here in San Antonio and he told me that he usually takes an Ibanez bass neck and pulls the fretboard off. He then puts a new fretboard and alot of time he will put up to 30 frets on it. I know his yellow and blue swirl guitar has over 30 frets, and I think maybe his new 6 and 7 strings do as well. Ron is NUTZ, but he rocks!!!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:00 AM

I sometimes get the sudden urge to break out my RG1527 for a down 'n' dirty jam but like captaind00m I just end up chunking out more rythmn riffs than anything and go straight back to a 6 string. My EVH Wolfgang has a D-tuna on it but havent really played around with it yet so dont know if theyre effective for drop tuning the E or if ts a riff gimmick thing.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicdr View Post
I always keep a seven around for writing.Then I transpose the ideas to a six for performing.Sometimes the extra string makes me approach things differently and I come up with different chord voicings than I would on a six.I have smaller hands or I would use one for gigging.
This is some really good advice. I use a seven for exactly the same reasons... Its also nice to practice on a 7 string... makes the transition to a six seem easy for live stuff.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:05 PM

Out of interest, do you mean the Institute of Contemporary Music Performance in London? If so, I'll probably see you there. I'm currently on the higher diploma, moving on to the degree next academic year.

You may enjoy re-discovering 7s so to speak in the future, but IMO I would keep one around. I offed mine back in the summer and regretted it so much, I bought the same model 4 months later.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Yeah i do. Got in for the HD in dec so i will be starting in April, so i will probably see you round... to be fair with my accent i will probably be pretty obvious LOL. And if not for that the fact that i have a spiffy collection of tie dyes

Yeah i sat down and bashed through a whole bunch of non-token metal chug chug stuff and remembered exactly why i picked both my 7's up in the first place so they aint going no where. Just want to get a new body for one, and some mellower pickups. Gah... GAS
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 05:25 PM

I realize this is an older topic but I wasn't around when it was active so here's my input.

I approach the 7 the same was I do the 6. I wouldn't think, "What do I need the Low E for when this song/these songs don't even use it." I do the same with 7's. A 7-string lets me play everything I learned on 6's in my first 30 years of playing PLUS everything new. It also allows me to write new arrangements of older songs. More of a good thing in my opinion.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 05:43 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamFastEddie View Post
It also allows me to write new arrangements of older songs.
One of the first things I did when I bought a 7 was to stick on a few familiar CDs where I knew all the songs and to play along, but then move chords and riffs down to the low B where I could. Gave me a much better feel for the extra string, rather than just seeing it as a weird, alien thing. Also gives some of your old favourites a massive sound when you're suddenly an octave lower than before.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 03:47 AM

why not string a 7 with a High A string. That's what I did with my UV777bk. Ever since I got my Dean RC7 my UV was getting little use so I strung it with an High A string and it's been getting some playing time ever since.

For a high a string with standard scale guitars go here
http://garrygoodman.com/octave4plus.com.htm
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:47 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-string_guitar

There are lots of tunings that can trip your trigger. I took a 12 string Yamaha acoustic and put on 9 strings: middle strings doubled: octave up on the D and G, double the B, E,A,& E single(look at Taylor guitars 9 string) and the thing is fantastic and fun to play. Different tunings and string gauges lead to fresh ideas, I've found.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode