SG lighter than SA? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

SG lighter than SA?

Recently I found a deal on Epiphone G400 and Epiphone SG Elitist. Both are basically '61 reissues as far as I can tell, and look pretty thin and light. The Elitist comes with a hard shell case and better pickups too.

My SA160 is 2.8 kilograms. Are those SG models lighter than that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 10:23 AM

I've got a Gibson '61 Reissue SG, and it's about the same weight as my AT300. Of course, the SG is massively neck-heavy, but overall is they weigh about the same.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 11:30 AM

I thought the '61 had the slim taper neck? Those are not neck heavy are they? I had an SG with the slim taper neck and I don't remember it being neck heavy.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 11:43 AM

The '61 Reissues are insanely neck heavy (as are most SGs). The headstock plummets as soon as you strap it on. It's a combonation of the headstock, the placement of the heel strap button and the overall design of the guitar.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 12:24 PM

Yeah, the SG's are stupidly neck-heavy. Thats why I have never gone for them to be honest. I will have to try and persevere though, as it is worth it. Like Vaijem said, when I put one on.....the neck just plumeted! It just didnt feel right for me at the time. Slim taper neck or not.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

I think the Tony Iomi signature Epiphone SG (the black one) has the strap button on the upper horn.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 07:25 PM

I can't stand SGs. But they sure are the guitar-du-jour these days. It seems every band i see on TV has at least one SG player.

The singer in my band played an Epiphone SG and it had a real club of a neck. I do like thicker necks, but this one was just too thick and too round. And yeah... really, really neck-heavy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 07:41 PM

I think it's 'cause it's the only guitar that says "Gibson" on it that doesn't wear a dent in your shoulder.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

It also looks to be pretty light. These days people tend to pay more attention to ergonomics, and many have health problems which don't allow a massive pile of wood hanging from their neck. Most English guitar magazines include the weight in the info boxes of the guitars they review. Unfortunately, I haven't seen an SG review on them so far.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 12:25 PM

pfft! SG's sound awsome. I played an SG all through highschool, it was the guitar I learned on. People still talk about how evil sounding that guitar was. Mine was a "The SG" model in tobaco sunburst with an ebony fretboard and a thin neck profile. Anyway the guitar sounded amazing and I'd still be playing it if the headstock had not broken off.
AND I never noticed the neck heavy thing. So either mine was not like that or it is something you just get used too.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosaur
I think the Tony Iomi signature Epiphone SG (the black one) has the strap button on the upper horn.
That only makes the guitar even more neck-heavy. My first electric was a G-400 which came with the usual strap button at the nek joint and I modified it and put it where Iommi has it. The guitar became so unbalanced it was almost impossible to play it for more than ten minutes. I had to put the strap button back where it was.

I used to love SG's. Actually I still kind of love them. They are great looking axes by themselves by I think they just don't look rigth ON people.....

I also love their tone (Gibson ones of course).

Tags
ebony fretboard , guitar mag , strap button , thicker necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

what is lighter basswood or alder
is mahogany lighter than basswood?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode