SG vs Les Paul. Which one do you prefer? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
SG vs Les Paul. Which one do you prefer?

I want a non-Ibanez guitar for recording or practicing and I really like the sound of Gibsons. So, what sould I do? Keep my SG Standard or get a LP Standard?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 10:26 PM

You will get a lot better sound (tone) out of the combined woods of the Les Paul. There is no richer sound. If a rich sound is what you are looking for LP without a doubt. If your thinking of giving up the SG I would take it to a shop plug it in and then plug a LP in right after....then decide....I bet you will go with the LP

~R~
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 11:30 PM

How about neither, they're both over-priced, obsolete pieces of poo. *
Get an Ibanez Artist Prestige. *Flame top, mahogany body, set-neck. *
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 12:09 AM

My friend just got an AR2000, he also has a Gibson '78 Standard Les Paul (not a reissue). *He loved his Paul, but it is now gathering dust usually , (well when i'm not playing in) The Artist is just superior in nearly every way, including price.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 02:45 AM

I agree that the les Paul is over-priced ...unless you find a vintage one that rocks it's not worth the $$

but with respect to the original question SG vs Les paul I'd say a Les Paul, in general, unless of course that is one very sweet SG (some of them are)
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 07:38 AM

Go for the les paul, there's just something about them and their sound...(but maybe I am biased, because I really really don't like SG's)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 08:45 AM

The SG is the only Gibson I ever liked from a feel perspective. *Yeah, LPs sound great, but the weight & (lack of) comfort is just torture. *The cut down ones (ThePaul, Studio Lite) aren't bad, but they still don't "sit right" and you lose some of the sound of the LP Standard.

I'll probably have an Epi knockoff of an SG one day...
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 09:33 AM

I've got a Les Paul and I prefer the SG. *How messed up is that? *The Les Paul does sound great but the SG IS a lot easier to play. *The SG feels like it weighs 10bls less and the double cutaway is always nice.

3 Reasons for the SG
1.) The Doors
2.) Eric Clapton
3.) AC/DC

1 Reason for the Les Paul
1.) Just about everyone ese.

1 Reason for you to choose
1.) It's your cash.

PS - I'd try to find an older SG, light brown, with a tremolo. *They exist.

(Edited by BloodySwirl at 9:37 am on Aug. 9, 2001)
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 02:54 PM

Reviews: 2

As a tangent.

Eggle made a Toni Iomi model, kinda gretch SG shape with 24 frets gothic cross inlays.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 02:54 PM

I've played many of both instruments. *I prefer the Les Paul overall.

The LP will have a more full and darker tone while the SG is a much brighter sound. *You really CAN tell the difference like night and day.

The SG has a fragile neck joint so be careful. *That double cutaway causes more opportunities for damage to the neck joint. *A while back I was looking for a good used SG and many I came across had a repaired neck joint.

The SG is much easier to handle standing up or sitting down. *The weight isn't there like a LP. *Every try to sit an LP on your knee? *What a pain! *The SG is better contoured to the body as well (in comparison to the LP). *How the hell did Randy Rhodes ever play a LP live is beyond me! *The guitar weighed more than him!

You can't go wrong with either guitar. *Hell, it's a Gibson! *I recommend a used one to save some (alot) of $$$.

Gabe
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Quote: from Pablo on 3:54 pm on Aug. 9, 2001
As a tangent.

Eggle made a Toni Iomi model, kinda gretch SG shape with 24 frets gothic cross inlays.
Gibson released 100 of these a few years ago with sterling silver inlays. *The price was $6000. *Now, Gibson just announced they are re-issuing the 24-fret Iommi model but I think it's a lower end model.

Gabe
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 03:21 PM

Reviews: 2

As a tangent.

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 08:25 PM

I have an old mid-60s SG special with soapbars...it's a screamer. *My first electric...all beat up and I 'll never let it go. *The only thing I hated about it was the balance problem...it's head-heavy.

Another similar guitar you might consider is an 80s Yamaha SG2000...what Santana used in the Moonflower days.
Greg
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 09:24 PM

Carlos, Gibsons are overpriced, underbuilt dog poop. *Pick yourself up a nice PRS. *Get a 22 fret, wide/fat neck. *That combination allegedly gives the best tone. *And let me tell you, the CE bolt-on series is incredible. *They may be the "cheapest" model, but I love their tone. *I have a CE-22 and a McCarty, and I would say the CE sounds better. *Believe it or not. *Talk about the perfect '70s crunch sound....

FLAME AWAY! *=8')
G
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 10:48 PM

GuitarLunatic:
You talk about the overpricing of Gibsons but then recomend PRS's??? PRS's are the most overpriced guitars on the market. I'd take 10 Ibanez over 1 PRS. They have had serous quality control issues since 1995...

If you want a nice maple top over mahogany body consider a nice Hamer Mirage or Studio. Hamers are hand made, like the PRS's of pre '95. Very nice axes. They pump out about 3 guitars a day. All hand made and the attention to detail is amazing. Try one, you won't be disappointed.....

Tags
angus young , custom guitar , custom guitars , double cutaway , duncan pickups , eric clapton , ibanez jem , les paul , les paul custom , les pauls , mahogany body , neck joint , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode