She ain't pretty but I love her! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

She ain't pretty but I love her!

Out of all the guitars I've ever owned (60+) over the years this is my favourite.

If somebody had have sat me down 20yrs ago and told me "out of all the guitars you'll ever own a cheapo Epiphone will become your favourite", I'd have just laughed. I've had to rip nearly everything out of this guitar and replace it all and it's now the best one I've ever owned. I've had two Gibson Les Pauls in the past that don't even compare to the playability of this and I prefer it to my Ibanez Jem.

I just thought I'd post this up for any new starters out there that are looking through Guitar World and drooling over stuff. I've owned loads and it's the most unlikely one of all that love the best. Also new players shouldn't get too hung up on brand names and what it says on the headstock/ how much it costs because unless you realy conect with it none of the other stuff matters.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 08:31 AM

Re: She ain't pretty but I love her!

+1 for Epiphone, especially the models made in recent years. They've really stepped it up. I have a couple of 07's (SG G400 and LP Ultra) and the fit and finish, fretwork, tuning stability, you name it, are better than in years past.

Hell, their QC seems to be better than a lot of Mexican made Fender products these days. For the money they're great.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 08:37 AM

Ha ! had to laugh, you reminded me of "Only Fools and Horses" when Trigger is commenting on how great his broom is, of course it's had three new heads and two handles but it's a great broom that he's had for years!!
I've got a bit of a soft spot for black Les Pauls (my first electric being one made by "Satellite", piece of junk really) and I've read great things about the Epis (I have a Sheraton myself I rate quite highly!)
These guys today, don't know how lucky they are with the quality of modern "budget" instruments.
Jim
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 08:44 AM

Ben,

I agree since I made the move to bass a year or so back, I had at least 15-20 higher end basses and sold each and everyone, Then for fun one day at GC I played this Squier Active Jazz5 and well its my number one.

It has great tone, great feel, and I love it, I connect with it. Who would ever think that after I spent all that money my number one would be a $300 bass.

Brett
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Dee

I'm not surprised. I own a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz and mostly it's a great instrument. The problem is the bridge wasn't mounted correctly, it's off by a couple of mm, and this means I can't replace that sucker with a BadAss bridge unless I plug and re-drill. Apart from this, it plays brilliantly.

I almost bought the Active 5 string Jazz. I kinda wish I had, but I fell for the Vintage Modified.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 10:12 AM

Funny how that works out sometimes. The best instrument you find is one that you never thought you'd like so much. =)

I've played some squiers that were absolutely killer. An old teacher of mine would buy a buch of cheap ass squiers off ****, keep the good parts, and replace the bad parts. Those're seriously some of the best guitars I've ever played, and I don't even like strats.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 10:21 AM

Last edited by Rodney James; 04-09-2008 at 10:43 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 10:33 AM

me too.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:59 PM

The more beat up a guitar is, the more willing you are to play it hard, is what I've found. But then I've always liked beat up relics. If you're too worried about keeping it perfect, you'll never play it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 PM

Hell I think she's a beaut.....Cool guitar man.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 05:35 AM

Thought this was going to be a mother-in-law thread

I hope the DY didn't see you start this thread.....she has feelings you know
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Until the memory of 1:50 from this video http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu2DA4I4TGw fades from my mind I'll find it difficult to look at the DY in the same light.
If CC played one then it suddenly becomes a little less cool.

Last edited by Eggy; 02-15-2008 at 07:36 AM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 06:55 AM

As you probably all know, I've ditched everything Gibson because I simply don't find them comfortable. That said, the two Epiphones I let go were good guitars - better than the Gibson SG which was a dog and certainly not worse than the LP, which was a good enough instrument (see disclaimer above).

Nice one Ben. Question time:1) has the neck been worked on or is that natural wear? 2) aside from the guts, what's been changed out? I always found the Gotoh tuners on Epiphones to be far better than Gibson's stock tuners, and the bridge and stoptail are about the same.

I'd definitely second the endoresement - cheaper guitars are orders of magnitude better than they used to be and any new player should go for them until he/she finds a really suitable brand and wants to upgrade. Mid-life crisis is the best time for expensive guitar acquisition.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_r152 View Post
The more beat up a guitar is, the more willing you are to play it hard, is what I've found. But then I've always liked beat up relics. If you're too worried about keeping it perfect, you'll never play it.
Very true, Ken.

Ben, I dig that Epi, there's something about it.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
If CC played one then it suddenly becomes a little less cool.

I'll bet she didn't choose her owner though She was just used and abused

Tags
floyd rose , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , gotoh tuners , ibanez jem , les paul , les pauls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode