Short review of AT10PWH - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Short review of AT10PWH

So I saw an AT10P today and thought I should try it out (considering how bad the Jem77PBFP reviews have been) and because I'm a big AT fan.

Let's cut to the chase... The only good things about this guitar were the pups and the neck thickness. Everything else just underwhelmed.

I sat and played it, not trying to really judge it, but those frets were god awful. Some were sticking out further than others: Some were finished down too far, leaving space between the fret and the bottom of the neck, the fret finish was inconsistent across the entire fingerboard (some looked okay, some looked like I did the fret job). They weren't even rounded properly.

Luckily I didn't run into any dead notes, but I'm sure if I had looked for those, I woulda found a couple.

Thanks to the terrible finish on the frets, I did some investigating of the top and bottom of the fingerboard... There were places where whoever did the fret job took little chunks of the rosewood off near the frets. There were a couple spots on the top of the fingerboard, but the bottom had at least 3 places that I found that had pieces of the fingerboard chipped out.

The last thing I noticed was that the neck joint was a REALLY weird shape. Typical neck joints are rounded and kinda like a half-oval. The neck joint on this thing looked like they didn't take enough wood off the tip of the joint on the body to round it off, I don't know how to describe it.

I had been thinking about an AT10P, just because I love the AT100 so much but can't really afford it, especially with the price increase happening over here, but Ibanez really screwed up this one BAD. I've finally understood why people hate the Indo factory now.

I woulda taken pics but the store is a place I use a lot and I wouldn't like to take away their business by showing off their merchandise and how poorly made this premium was. I respect them way too much to do that. I will say this though, if Ibanez is going to let the Jawa factory pump out this sort of trash quality guitar, it proves that Hoshino has no idea what the heck they are doing anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:11 AM

Re: Short review of AT10PWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
if Ibanez is going to let the Jawa factory pump out this sort of trash quality guitar, it proves that Hoshino has no idea what the heck they are doing anymore.
I really think they know exactly what they are doing.

the jawa operation gives them so much profit that they wouldn't dare to think to cease the operation and look else where.

They are doing nothing when the ibanez parts flooding the black market from Jawa factory.
it's good enough for me to prove that Jawa operation is their baby.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
I really think they know exactly what they are doing.

the jawa operation gives them so much profit that they wouldn't dare to think to cease the operation and look else where.

They are doing nothing when the ibanez parts flooding the black market from Jawa factory.
it's good enough for me to prove that Jawa operation is their baby.
They may make lots of money out of it, but the quality control is terrible. I was so hoping that the AT10P wouldn't be bad, but it was so disappointing. It looks great, and sounds great, but those frets, neck, and neck joint...
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
They may make lots of money out of it, but the quality control is terrible. I was so hoping that the AT10P wouldn't be bad, but it was so disappointing. It looks great, and sounds great, but those frets, neck, and neck joint...
my point is, even with the quality issue, they wouldn't think to close the operation and move to china ( perhaps)?
Because china labor cost is keep increasing, meanwhile Indonesia labor cost is cheap.
cheap man power = cheap product = bigger profit.

maybe only we are at the jemsite that keep complaining about the quality.
in their paper, the premiums are selling so well, so why bother listening to some noisy folks at jemsite?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
my point is, even with the quality issue, they wouldn't think to close the operation and move to china ( perhaps)?
Because china labor cost is keep increasing, meanwhile Indonesia labor cost is cheap.
cheap man power = cheap product = bigger profit.

maybe only we are at the jemsite that keep complaining about the quality.
in their paper, the premiums are selling so well, so why bother listening to some noisy folks at jemsite?
Well, they'll start to lose sales if people start to figure out what they're doing. Personally, I would only buy the guitar if they fixed it before I took it home.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:30 AM

I personaly would not buy any premium.
it's overprice for what it is.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I personaly would not buy any premium.
it's overprice for what it is.
And the fact that I've seen standard RGs with better quality than these premium signature models makes me not want to go anywhere near them now.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 02:06 PM

From everything I've read, the Premiums are pretty hit and miss. Some are great, others...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
From everything I've read, the Premiums are pretty hit and miss. Some are great, others...
Yeah, I must've found a dud. It just disappointed me so much to play such a poorly made guitar... ESPECIALLY an Ibanez that was this bad...
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I Recently picked up a RG870QMZ that was marked down from $900-$1000 ish to $399 CAD. It was marked down due to a decent size chip put in the finish by a clumsy customer hanging a SFG JEM up beside it and banging the two together. The overall built quality on my guitar is superb and I couldn't be happier with it. However of the other Indo made Ibanez I've played there has been about a 70/30 good to bad split... The SFG that chipped my guitar was terribly put together which is really a shame...
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 02:34 PM

Double Post
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Steels View Post
I Recently picked up a RG870QMZ that was marked down from $900-$1000 ish to $399 CAD. It was marked down due to a decent size chip put in the finish by a clumsy customer hanging a SFG JEM up beside it and banging the two together. The overall built quality on my guitar is superb and I couldn't be happier with it. However of the other Indo made Ibanez I've played there has been about a 70/30 good to bad split... The SFG that chipped my guitar was terribly put together which is really a shame...
I have read here and even played regular premiums that play so much better than the signature premiums (the RG9XX line seems to be of incredible build quality overall), but how such a COOL guitar as the AT10P could have so much wrong with it just disappointed me so much.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 03:43 AM

There is a nice youtube video about the Java factory. I suggest you all look at it and draw your own conclusions about how those guitars are made.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Hey mag, thanks for letting me know. I jsut found the video. OMG that place is so bad... The commentary on the video even says that they use old fashioned techniques that aren't up to date. I won't be buying anymore Indo made Ibanezes, that's for sure.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 06:36 AM

Stick to the old used Japanese ones, cheaper and better quality. And let me know how you liked that r354

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode