Short scale - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Short scale

The Caparison thread got me thinking..... does anyone here use an extremely short scale length? Any opinions on available models?

I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 04:17 AM

Re: Short scale

Well, I played a mixture of Strats and Les Pauls for many years (by the way, if anything I am a bit of a shortass), and found exactly the opposite - shorter scales just simply get harder to play as you get higher up the fretboard - even the relatively tiny difference between Gibson's 24 3/4" scale length and PRS's 25" scale seems to make a world of difference to the feel of the guitar. I don't have huge hands (the girls don't stare and wonder ......), but I have never had any problem with Fender's standard scale length, and if anything, the extra fretboard real estate makes complex chord patterns easier to play, not harder.

Shortest scale length I am aware of on a supposedly full scale guitar is the Gibson Byrdland at 23" - they are TINY!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 07:05 AM

The Peavey V Type/Vandenburg and the Jackson Fusion are/were 24 fret floyded guits with the Gibby scale.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 07:54 AM

Yeah, the Charvel 750XL like Shawn Lane used were 24 3/4" scale.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Well, I played a mixture of Strats and Les Pauls for many years (by the way, if anything I am a bit of a shortass), and found exactly the opposite - shorter scales just simply get harder to play as you get higher up the fretboard - even the relatively tiny difference between Gibson's 24 3/4" scale length and PRS's 25" scale seems to make a world of difference to the feel of the guitar. I don't have huge hands (the girls don't stare and wonder ......), but I have never had any problem with Fender's standard scale length, and if anything, the extra fretboard real estate makes complex chord patterns easier to play, not harder.

Shortest scale length I am aware of on a supposedly full scale guitar is the Gibson Byrdland at 23" - they are TINY!
It's really a subjective thing and depends a lot on your playing style and technique. If you play straight form scales and melodic bends, etc then it'd probably not make much of a difference. Yet, if you are doing a lot of wide stretches and string skipping I feel it would definitely make a difference.

I don't find that regular scale 25.5 is "harder" per se. It's not at all. I've been playing that scale guitar my whole life and its what I learned to play guitar on. I started on Strats and switched to Ibanez RG's, Jacksons and played a few S's. I just feel that for my playing style the shorter scale is easier.

Yngwie, Vai, Gilbert have a clear advantage with their height and hand size. So It donned upon me one day, "Hey, a shorter scale guitar would give me the same advantage!" So I went and bought a couple of Caparisons and the rest is history. I personally found my hypothesis to be validated as soon as I picked it up. I can't put the thing down and I haven't felt like that since the first time I played a wizard neck after years on a C neck.

Ultimately, you should do what feels best and not worry about what is "supposed" to work in theory.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackButlerGOT View Post
The Peavey V Type/Vandenburg and the Jackson Fusion are/were 24 fret floyded guits with the Gibby scale.
Yeah, actually I had a V-Type last year and the scale length was perfect for me. I don't have small hands, but I like how I can do larger stretches for chords, solo lines with wide intervals, etc. Makes a big difference, IMO, and I'd love a 24.75" scale RG.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 09:11 PM

Did you sell it Dee?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 09:28 PM

Why 24.75" scale when you can have 24.75' scale?

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...ideoid=8749928
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Did you sell it Dee?
The guitar was bought "blind", Wade. When I inspected it I found quite a few flaws. Otherwise, nice guitar. Certainly a good looking little axe, and with some mods could be great. There were various problems I encountered, though, one of them being the skinny E string getting trapped under the pickup bobbin edge when the whammy bar was depressed. Very frustrating. I sent it back, got a refund, and put the money towards an RG3120. The RG3120 was of course sold to pay for the RG20th.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
The guitar was bought "blind", Wade. When I inspected it I found quite a few flaws. Otherwise, nice guitar. Certainly a good looking little axe, and with some mods could be great. There were various problems I encountered, though, one of them being the skinny E string getting trapped under the pickup bobbin edge when the whammy bar was depressed. Very frustrating. I sent it back, got a refund, and put the money towards an RG3120. The RG3120 was of course sold to pay for the RG20th.

I used to dream of owning that guitar when I was in Middle School. I would draw it in the margins of all my notes during class. Then my dad bought me an RG570 and I got over it lol. Seeing that brought back some good memories though.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Dee

Probably wasn't the exact same model, this one is only a couple of years old, BigShred. On the other hand, I have no idea how old you are!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:54 PM

I played one of those Peavey EXPs and they felt horrible. It might have been the thin string gauge on em.

As for scale length, I seem to 'prefer' 25.5 because I associate 24.75 with Gibsons which are always uncomfortable and don't seem to facilitate fast playing like Ibanezes, etc do. But since playing the odd flying V and Explorer I've rethought it. I'm just used to knowing how a certain string gauge will feel on a 25.5 guitar.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 05:30 PM

Gibson ES-350T..... 23 1/2" scale

Gibson ES-140T those were 3/4 scale guitars w/22 3/4" scale

Gibson ES-225.... 23 1/2" scale

There are quite a few still floating around......

I had a 350T for a while but seldom used it. Sold it for a PRS in like "88". When I got it (the 350) it had flatwounds on it..... But it was a beautiful guitar, natural finish..... I wish I still had it!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeglectedField View Post
I played one of those Peavey EXPs and they felt horrible. It might have been the thin string gauge on em.

As for scale length, I seem to 'prefer' 25.5 because I associate 24.75 with Gibsons which are always uncomfortable and don't seem to facilitate fast playing like Ibanezes, etc do. But since playing the odd flying V and Explorer I've rethought it. I'm just used to knowing how a certain string gauge will feel on a 25.5 guitar.
The Peavey is a good guitar once it's set up. I hope you didn't pick one up in a shop straight off the rack and expect it to blow you away. It's a Korean built axe which sells for not much money, therefore you shouldn't expect it to play like a PRS.

String gauge is 9's, btw. Pretty much the same gauge as any stock guitar you can think of.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
The Peavey is a good guitar once it's set up. I hope you didn't pick one up in a shop straight off the rack and expect it to blow you away. It's a Korean built axe which sells for not much money, therefore you shouldn't expect it to play like a PRS.

String gauge is 9's, btw. Pretty much the same gauge as any stock guitar you can think of.
That might have just been it. I do bear it in mind that string gauge is going to affect how it feels off the rack...

Tags
beautiful guitar , david mccarroll , les paul , les pauls , palm mute , shawn lane , string skipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode