Shortstop II replacement bridge - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Shortstop II replacement bridge

I am looking to replace the shortstop II bridge on my SC420 with something that has a bit more intonation travel, that will screw into where the SSII goes.

Does anyone know of anything that would work? I love the SC, but I really hate the SSII.

edit

For instance, how about the Gotoh 510?

Link

Last edited by Polaris20; 07-26-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 03:32 PM

Re: Shortstop II replacement bridge

A couple of us here have done retrofits of the SSII on our JS700 guitars. I believe that the only bridge that will directly fit is the Ibanez Gibraltar III used on the SZ series. BUT, those are a string-through-body-design, so you have to drill holes through the body and install string ferrules on both sides of the body. I did quite a bit of checking before I did the conversion, and as best I could tell, no other bridges (Tonepros, Gotoh, etc.) would fit the SSII stud spacing. There are undoubtedly other bridges out there that I didn't check into, but my guess is that (unlike Ibanez) most aftermarket bridges will conform to the industry standard stud spacing. (Those dimensions can be found at the Stewart-Macdonald or TonePros sites).
Bert
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier
A couple of us here have done retrofits of the SSII on our JS700 guitars. I believe that the only bridge that will directly fit is the Ibanez Gibraltar III used on the SZ series. BUT, those are a string-through-body-design, so you have to drill holes through the body and install string ferrules on both sides of the body. I did quite a bit of checking before I did the conversion, and as best I could tell, no other bridges (Tonepros, Gotoh, etc.) would fit the SSII stud spacing. There are undoubtedly other bridges out there that I didn't check into, but my guess is that (unlike Ibanez) most aftermarket bridges will conform to the industry standard stud spacing. (Those dimensions can be found at the Stewart-Macdonald or TonePros sites).
Bert
So that's what I have to look for, the SSII dimension between posts, and then whatever bridge I find? That's pretty much it? (not as if that's not enough )
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 09:48 PM

Well, not entirely. In addition to the post spacing (generally specified center-to-center, which is different than the spacing BETWEEN the posts), there's the issue of whether the posts themselves are compatible. If they're not, then you have to pull the old posts and install the new ones. That might require some filling and/or drilling to get it just right.

Again, I don't think you're going to find any other bridges (besides the Gibraltar III) that'll work without some modification to the guitar. If you're OK with filling in the old post holes and starting over drilling new ones, then anything is possible. But bridge placement is precision work since if the scale isn't absolutely perfect, your intonation will be forever screwed.

Good luck!
Bert
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier
Well, not entirely. In addition to the post spacing (generally specified center-to-center, which is different than the spacing BETWEEN the posts), there's the issue of whether the posts themselves are compatible. If they're not, then you have to pull the old posts and install the new ones. That might require some filling and/or drilling to get it just right.

Again, I don't think you're going to find any other bridges (besides the Gibraltar III) that'll work without some modification to the guitar. If you're OK with filling in the old post holes and starting over drilling new ones, then anything is possible. But bridge placement is precision work since if the scale isn't absolutely perfect, your intonation will be forever screwed.

Good luck!
Bert
AgH! Forget it. Too many variables! And the last thing I want to do is screw up my intonation. Thank you very much for the advice though; you saved me money and probably a lot of frustration!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode