Should I buy this 2004 S470DXQM ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Should I buy this 2004 S470DXQM ?

I'm considering on buying a used 2004 S470DXQM (Made in Korean). I went to the used guitar shop today and it's love at the first sight. It looks very beautiful from distant. Wood looks great, HW are in pretty good condition (the pick up studs are a little rusted.). I've played a bit with it and it feels really good (didn't try plug it to an amp yet).

However, after I've looked more closely, I found a quite serious problem. The screws (I'm not really sure if they are screws or studs) that hold the base of the bridge to the body are seriously rusted. (I've attached an image and hi-light the parts that I'm talking about.) So if I buy it, I would have to change those screws right afterward.

May I ask that, for the 6 yr old Ibanez, is it common problem of ZR bridge ? I really don't understand why they become rusted while the other parts look almost perfect (different grade of material/plating, I guess?). These screws sit 3-4" apart, btw. And is it easy to swap out these? I'm not really sure if I can find replacement for them.

And, for the price of 17,000 baht (Thailand currency, just in case, it is around 530USD, 350GBP, and 50,000Yen), is it worth to buy one (and then repair it until it's fine)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ibanez s720 zr trem.jpg (9.4 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Re: Should I buy this 2004 S470DXQM ?

I've attached the actual image, taken from the shop website. It's quite blur and too small, btw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1037_1.jpg (15.3 KB, 1 views)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:22 AM

Reviews: 2

When i bought my 2004 S470 i had to replace those screws too. I just in contact with rich at ibanezrules.com and he fixed me up with some screws pretty quick. But my guitar has been repair-a-thon 9000 so far.

I've had to replace the trem adjusting studs (ur problem)
Replace the tremolo arm socket
and now i have to replace the ZPS (my fault- forced the gears inside and snapped it)

But it's a very easy guitar to fix, and i love it.

Toodles!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

Today I've watch the S320 review on youtube. The reviewer has disassembled the guitar into pieces, including the bridge. I've noticed that they are just screws and might not be too hard to replace.

I've also checked the ibanezrules.com, they say they don't accept international credit card but still deliver internationally. I may ask my cousin in US to order from them and send me one. But I think I would ask the Thailand local Ibanez distributer first if they can find me one.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

OK I've bought this one, after a week of hesitation :-). Still have to get use to it, but yeah it's quite lovely.

I still have a lot to work on it. There are scratches here and there (don't really mind this, it is used guitar after all), screws need to be changed (some screws are rusty, while others look perfect, strap button needs some work (it fall out and the previous owner put a toothpick in, I'll do some permanent fix here), etc etc.

I've put gauge 9 strings in, there are fret buzz above 12th fret. Guess I have to raise the bridge a bit (which is quite tedious, as bridge screws are rusty by now.). I'll take to tech to have it setup properly once after I can get rusty parts replaced.

The trem adjusting screws (which I was asking before) are not available from Thailand's distributer, unfortunately. I need to order from somewhere else. This is too bad, btw. They said that they have only screws for RG (EDGEs trem), not S (ZR).

Last edited by mr_tawan; 04-20-2010 at 09:29 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Personally $530 usd is quite high for that guitar IMHO. I got mine for $175.00 off craigslist, but if you happy with it, that's all that counts. Nice finish BTW.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I admit that it's quite high price. But consider other used S470 (with better condition but no quilt maple (veneer, I guess)) that I have seen costs 19,999 Baht (with 1 Baht shipment cost)(~620US), I think it's quite OK for the price.

S series is not as popular as RG, so it's quite hard to find used. I don't have money to buy brand new one too. The brand new 2010 S470 is not available in Thailand yet, but I believe it would costs more than 30,000 baht (~930USD).

You know what, actually I know the Thailand distributer company owner's son (he was a senior student at my university, at that time). He has told me that he would give me special price, +30% more expensive than it usually be!! And that's why I bouht the used one lol.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 03:17 PM

I just bought a 09 S470DXQM for $389. I like it so far but it goes in for a set up this weekend. If money was no issue you should really enjoy it.

Tags
made in korean , s470 , zr bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode