should i buy another guitar... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

should i buy another guitar...

Ok so I've been playing guitar for about 7 years on and off i began at school and mostly learned by myself with my friends by picking songs and trying to play the tabs... its ok for a while but now i wanna be serious about it and learn with a more structured path and theory.

the problem is, i have been given an ibanez proline 2550 (yeah i know how lucky i am) and the locking nut system is driving me nuts (no pun intended) i understand now how it works and why its useful but every time i want to change my tuning to let's say... dropped D i have to tune the whole guitar again, what i was wondering is should i buy another guitar just to practice or do you have any tips/tricks i could use to keep playing with this one... i love how this guitar sounds and i have a very limited budget, i don't want to end up with some crappy almost toy guitar but it would save me a lot of hassle... what do you guys think ?

Edit: oh and by the way i dont even have a tremolo arm so i dont even use the tremolo edge bridge, could i just remove the screws from the locking nuts and hope my guitar stays tuned ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 02:25 PM

Re: should i buy another guitar...

you could try blocking the trem? think theres a guide on here somwhere
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 02:37 PM

If you don't use the trem, I would suggest blocking it somehow. There are several solutions to accomplish this, some simple and cheap, some more elegant, some more permanent, and some simply more effective than others.

In the rear spring cavity, anything you can wedge in between the body and the bridge to prevent it from moving can be effective. I've heard of people custom cutting blocks of wood to serve the purpose, which would certainly be preferred, though might not be easy for anyone to do. I've even stuffed a nine volt battery under the rear of a recessed bridge then added extra springs to essentially fix a floating bridge in place, which worked reasonably well.

There are also devices you can purchase to serve the purple, such as the Tremol-no. Some people swear by these things, though others (including myself) have had mixed results. If you were to tune to standard and get the trem fully set up, then lock it with the Tremol-no, you could make relatively small tuning adjustments without going out of tune. For example, drop-D would be no problem, or the whole guitar down a half step should work well. You would not want to remove all of the strings with the Tremol-no locked, that would likely be too much stress for it to handle, but otherwise it might be a good solution for you.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 AM

dropped d?pfff i hate that.but okey block it.you can put a thing under the bridge and tighten the trem screws.there are a lot of solutions.but learn to use it well.you have a nice guitar!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies... i'll look into blocking the trem
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:43 AM
SYL

you can never have too many guitars!

so yes get another one.....or two....or seven!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paper183 View Post
thanks for the replies... i'll look into blocking the trem
I have 2 Ibanez guitars with the floating trems blocked and the feel is far superior to any of my other fixed-bridge guitars. Just my 2 cents worth
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:47 PM

I would buy another one, different tuning , different guitar.
It's more fun.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:34 PM

Unless you feel like shelling out a ton of cash for another guitar, I hate the idea of buying a beater to play, when you're sitting on a gorgeous proline.

The idea of blocking the trem has become increasingly more popular I think, to the point where there are several things you can purchase to do the job. I ran into an auction on the bay earlier from this guy that makes them himself out of brass, and his design looked great, and was less than 20 bucks, he called it the TREM-ELIM and I would certainly check it out if I planned on messing with my tuning often.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Hell Broke Loose View Post
Unless you feel like shelling out a ton of cash for another guitar, I hate the idea of buying a beater to play, when you're sitting on a gorgeous proline.

The idea of blocking the trem has become increasingly more popular I think, to the point where there are several things you can purchase to do the job. I ran into an auction on the bay earlier from this guy that makes them himself out of brass, and his design looked great, and was less than 20 bucks, he called it the TREM-ELIM and I would certainly check it out if I planned on messing with my tuning often.
That would have been great but there's none on the bay , i think I'll try to find a used tremol-no or some other device.

I found the hipshot on stewmac which does not block the bridge but helps it a lot, do you guys think it would be enough for my needs ? its way cheaper than a tremol-no...

Edit: i started looking around for things i could use from my apartment and i settled down for some pennies wrapped in electrical tape on one side of the block and one penny in tape on the spring side of the block, it wont move any time soon, ill look into a professional solution when i have more money though, thanks for the ideas everyone

Last edited by paper183; 09-16-2009 at 10:45 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:11 AM

Reviews: 1

As said block the trem, but then lock the nut and it will hardly ever go out of tune!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
As said block the trem, but then lock the nut and it will hardly ever go out of tune!!
Yeah that's what i do, now i can just unlock loosen a string and lock and its ready to play

Tags
locking , nuts , proline , tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode