Should I buy a deluxe squire strat for £80 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Should I buy a deluxe squire strat for £80

I know a mate selling a cheep squier Deluxe, which if I remeber is the mid-point standard in that line for 80 or so quid, and since I have some High-end american componants like pickups and stuff from My USA Strat, that I could upgrade it with.

My aim would be to have a cheep okay sounding backup guitar, So my concerns would be the rough cheep neck, the wood construction, and the hardware, baring in mind I may take the neck off, sand it down, get something done with the frets, and get it laquered.

Does anyone have any experience with these guitars, and do you think it's worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 09:44 AM

Re: Should I buy a deluxe squire strat for £80

I've got squire I still love plying it from time to time, never did sand the neck but I change the frets and pups thats all I do. This is the guitar that I bring along for traveling it's not expensive so I don't have to worry much. I say get it
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Gex

Eh. . .Id probably step up to a MIM strat.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

bought it, doing it up, okay for the money.

It's taking on the High Qual Componants alright, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Still tempted to change out bridge and get the neck onto some clear coat.

If it doesn't respond well I'll buy a new neck.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 09:25 PM

congratz !!! yes some mods required to make it good
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 03:08 AM

Have fun with it .

Regards

André

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 03:37 AM

for £80 i dont think you can go far wrong with that mate!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 08:07 AM

Project guitars like this are always good fun, and if nothing else, you'll definetally learn something from screwing around with it so if you ever mod a higher-end guitar you'll be more familiar.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Here's a piccie :

I'm tempted to change out the bridge to a Wilkinson, and I'd like to change the neck to a mighty Mite, or one of the 70's Reissue necks you see knocking around on Evil Bay.

Maybe even some EMG SA's after that
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 07:09 PM

I tell ya what, I have a Squier Standard Strat, that I bought, last year,in brown sunburst, that I absolutely adore. I think I paid, like $180.00, for it, put a Fender white pearloid pickguard on it, and replace the stock bridge Pu with a white SD JB jr., with a gigbag, and it plays like a dream, 22 frets and all. Only thing I didn't like was the chunky 70s headstock, so I made a template off my other strat head (small style), and cut it down to that, and refinished the neck and headstock. I've had actual Fender strats that didn't play as nice, and were actually noisier. Besides my $235.00 Ibanez RD220, with an Edge III, this is the best bang for my buck that I ever found.

Tags
clear coat , fender strat , fender strats , pearloid pickguard , white pearloid pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode