Should I buy Ibanez RG927QFM? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Should I buy Ibanez RG927QMZ?

Hey guys,

Considering the price of the Ibanez RG927QMZ, is it advisable to buy it or are there any other better 7 stringers around this price range?

Is the Edge-Zero II bridge w/ZPS3Fe good in terms of stability and funtionality? What are it's pros and cons?
Is it possible to tune the lower E (6th) to drop-D without affecting the pitch/tuning of rest of the strings because it has a ZPS bridge while playing live?

Is it possible to attach a EVH D-Tuna to the 6th string on this guitar/bridge?

Thanks.

Last edited by StringTheory; 02-14-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 05:05 PM

Re: Should I buy Ibanez RG927QFM?

I have the black RG927 that I bought when Sweetwater were blowing them out a couple of years ago and I've been happy with it overall. My only real complaint on mine is that the low E saddle has to be way far back to intonate. Farther than it seems it should be to me - there's hardly any saddle under the screw.

I wouldn't have paid $1,000 for it, but at $599 only a hundred dollars more than a regular Indo rg7420, I felt like I got a good value. Mine has good fretwork and no major issues, but I saw others who bought the same guitar from the same sale who got guitars with some high frets, misaligned side marker dots, and wonky string alignment. I'm not sure if that was true of this particular batch, or 927s in general, though, so perhaps someone else can weigh in on that one. Rich at Ibanez Rules has some killer prices on the QMF right now if you could live with fixed bridge. Even with international shipping, you might come out ahead depending on what new cost is in India.

I have no complaints with tuning stability. I leave the ZPS in, so the arm is fairly stiff, but once everything is streched in and tuned up, it stays in tune really well.

You cannot use a D-Tuna on an EZII. You have to have a Floyd or licensed trem that has the string lock screws in the same position as an OFR as the D-Tuna replaces the screw.

Jackson, Charvel, Schecter, and Washburn have 7 string models that have OFRs (well, 1000 series Floyds or Specials, but they'll accept a D-Tuna) so those might be worth looking into.

Just remember with a recessed Floyd, you'll have to block the trem or use a Tremel-No or similar for the D-Tuna to not throw the other strings out of tune. Eddie mounts his Floyds flat, so he doesn't have to worry about going sharp when engaging the D-Tuna.

Last edited by LNG#16; 02-12-2015 at 05:20 PM.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Re: Should I buy Ibanez RG927QMZ?

Thank you SO much LNG#16.

I change tuning (primarily drop-D/DADGAD) in between a set and therefore use a fixed bridge guitar currently.
I have a JS 1200 and now want to invest in a Ibanez 7 stringer with a floating bridge.
Is it advisable to use the Tremol-No on both of them for an Alternate tuning? I guess I would need to buy the small clamp Tremol-No.
Is it reliable and stable?

Last edited by StringTheory; 02-14-2015 at 12:09 PM.
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Banned

Namaste.
I had the same concerns with my uv70p, about drop A, etc... Ended up not dropping down at all. Standard B has all the depth for ultra heavy riffs. Just remember that 6-string players have to use special gauge and setup to even achieve drop B. With a 7-string you get a standard B out of the box!
Now about the trem.... I like trems and floyds have 3 guitars with them, but frankly with a 7-stringer the hassle prevails over the benefits. It is ok, after you set it up, but takes hours to bring it to your liking. I have the simple non ZPS edge zero ii-7 in the uv70p which is very similar to the one you are after. Yours might be more stable with the ZPS but you lose the full floating and the pull-ups (not that I need them anyway at the age of 46 lol).
If this premium is like mine it should have a very nice neck with superb fretwork and a very nice guitar to play overall. Maybe the pups should be upgraded, maybe not.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 11:13 AM

StringTheory,

If you want to change tunings, you will definitely have to block or otherwise stabilize the trem somehow. If you want to change tunings for a second set with the trem floating, even with the ZPS in place, it will result in essentially having to perform a full setup on the guitar between sets.

I just double-checked and the Tremel-No won't work with the EZII with ZPS because of the spring design. So you'd have to use the traditional wood block method or dowel it. Sorry for leading you down the wrong path on that one.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Banned

sorry but isn't ZPS a type of stabilizer like the tremel-no?
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
sorry but isn't ZPS a type of stabilizer like the tremel-no?
No.

Regards.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
No.

Regards.
how? both on paper serve the same purpose.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
how? both on paper serve the same purpose.
They do not do same purpose,

'The Zero Point System acts like the Hipshot Tremsetter, in that it provides additional string tension that is needed to return the string to the zero position'.

Tremol-no has nothing to do with additional string tension!
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:50 PM
Banned

looks like tremol-no is just an additional amortizing double action spring. It is basically the same thing, except ZPS will not help on pull ups. That's the basic function from what I gather. Pretty much the same thing as explained in our brotherly forum : http://forum.ibanez.com/yaf_postsm40...e-a-waste.aspx
I have none of those. That's why I ask.

EDIT ; oops sorry didn't realize that tremol-no was just a blocker. We are cool. Yes trem-setter or other stabilizer is most probably the one to compare.

BTW, I have no issues with my NON-ZPS, Edge ii-7. The return to pitch is phenomenal for a 7-string and better than my floyds.

Last edited by panix; 02-15-2015 at 03:58 PM.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
looks like tremol-no is just an additional amortizing double action spring. It is basically the same thing, unless you have a more convincing argument.
I have none of those. That's why I ask.
Hahaha. Again wrong. How you can not understand that Tremol-no has no spring?
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 04:00 PM
Banned

Cause I hadn't googled it. Could not imagine it was so simplistic. BTW I don't like being called "wrong" by kiddos, but since its your first time i'll let it go. If you didn't rush like a maniac to answer you might have seen my editing prior to your post, and I advise you to do the same.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Cause I hadn't googled it. Could not imagine it was so simplistic. BTW I don't like being called "wrong" by kiddos, but since its your first time i'll let it go. If you didn't rush like a maniac to answer you might have seen my editing prior to your post, and I advise you to do the same.
StringTheory had question,
LNG#16 gave him perfect answer,
then you come, and I had to correct you three times and you still need to give me advice?

Last edited by peromucho7; 02-16-2015 at 02:34 AM.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
StringTheory had question,
LNG#16 gave him perfect answer,
than you come, and I had to corect you three times and you still need to give me advice?

BTW I was wrong 1 time, the 1st one was a question, the 3rd one I corrected earlier than your post.
PS corect is with double "r", the correct word for "after" is "then". "Than" means comparison (like "nego" in your language)

Last edited by panix; 02-16-2015 at 02:11 AM.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Re: Should I buy Ibanez RG927QMZ?

Thank you guys for your advice. I appreciate.
Peace.

Last edited by StringTheory; 02-16-2015 at 05:43 AM.

Tags
drop-d , evh d-tuna. , ibanez , rg927qmz , zps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode