Should i buy a premium or prestige? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Should i buy a premium or prestige?

Alright, i'm looking to buy my next guitar. I'm thinking some prestige or premium variation of some sort. The problem is none of the shops around me have any of either for me to test without traveling pretty far. So I'm thinking I'll just try one and if I dont like it I can always send it back right? So therefore....I need suggestions!!! Any recommended models? Should I go with prestige or premium? Which is more so worth the money? Plays better? sounds better? overall better quality?

Just need a bit of 2 cents from my fellow Jemsiters! Thanks for any help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Should i buy a premium or prestige?

I like my Premium better than any Prestige I've had. You should also go through our reviews section--tons of opinions with details there.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 11:18 AM

Every guitar plays, intonates and feels different. I have seen Alaska Bats reviews (BTW From his reviews he knows his stuff) and it would drive me to a premium however there are others that would drive me away. There may be some prestiges that are not as good as premiums and vice versa......

You may be able to live with some compromises in intonation and setup that others wouldnt (when I mean no two guitars intonate the same, every guitar I have had or have after intonating in the same method will have some chords that tune better than others. The specific task of intonating is one thing but the way a guitar tunes to itself is a changing variable from guitar to guitar). It also depends on the tech that worked the specific guitar that day and many other variables.

Your best bet is try as hard as you can to drive where you can try both. If thats not possible make sure to order from someone who has a great return policy. I have not been able to order from Rich yet but I know my next order will come from him. His QC is second to none from everyones (EVERYONES) reviews.

No two guitars are ever the same, no two players ever like the same exact qualities in thier guitar.....try to get to them both....if this makes sense to you....

Last edited by py36; 09-17-2011 at 11:24 AM.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:21 AM

py36 - thank you - just what i wanted to know and now i'm back to the starting point... since i leave in Greece - my best shot is Thomman (of Germany) they say they have a pretty good return policy (30 day return policy) Its a guitar that is not going to be tested with my own hands - that's the problem

Also since its american basswood body - I'm used to mahagony sound in general

So - I don't have much ''ca-ching'' 's on me and that would be the ONLY reason to go for premium vs prestige - BUT Does any1 own a premium here?
How is the feel on this guitar comparing to prestige or Jem ?
The ibanez says the pups are made especially for the premium wich in my opinion is bullsh* .. just another way to make u sure that the pups are above average inf 1 ,2 ,3 for example. However I need opinion from players that had/have a premiumhttp://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_...&series_id=477 IBANEZ RG870QMZ-RDT (particular this one )

Furthermore - were there any flaws regarding the setup, intonation, lack of dynamics in the sound? or anything u could think of .
Durability? Will it last long as prestige?

Don't post things like ''oh there 's white dot on the finish. '' etc.

Tnx guyzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by satch_stef; 11-03-2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: I'm retarded
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:24 AM

Santuzzo is very happy with the playability of his Premiums, in addition to AlaskaBat. Only small finish imperfections are annoying Santuzzo
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Reviews: 1

I own three prestiges, I love every one of them, now saying that I just bought a 2011 RG350MYE, and for the money and where it was made, I was extreamly impressed, if this is there lower end, I would love to play a premimum.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_stef View Post
py36 - thank you - just what i wanted to know and now i'm back to the starting point... since i leave in Greece - my best shot is Thomman (of Germany) they say they have a pretty good return policy (30 day return policy) Its a guitar that is not going to be tested with my own hands - that's the problem

Also since its american basswood body - I'm used to mahagony sound in general

So - I don't have much ''ca-ching'' 's on me and that would be the ONLY reason to go for premium vs prestige - BUT Does any1 own a premium here?
How is the feel on this guitar comparing to prestige or Jem ?
The ibanez says the pups are made especially for the premium wich in my opinion is bullsh* .. just another way to make u sure that the pups are above average inf 1 ,2 ,3 for example. However I need opinion from players that had/have a premiumhttp://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_...&series_id=477 IBANEZ RG870QMZ-RDT (particular this one )

Furthermore - were there any flaws regarding the setup, intonation, lack of dynamics in the sound? or anything u could think of .
Durability? Will it last long as prestige?

Don't post things like ''oh there 's white dot on the finish. '' etc.

Tnx guyzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As previously mentioned--I still own my Premium. Still love it after 8 months. Keep in mind that mine is the American market version, and not a Premium you'd get overseas--different pickups. All of your questions are answered in the video reviews I posted of my Premium back in March.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
As previously mentioned--I still own my Premium. Still love it after 8 months. Keep in mind that mine is the American market version, and not a Premium you'd get overseas--different pickups. All of your questions are answered in the video reviews I posted of my Premium back in March.

w8 what.. ill get different pickups ? why ? its the same guitar..... I think the distributor in Athens has the same guitar ..they;re same pickups and same j craft-ers too - but the distributor is a bit expensive
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 07:53 PM

Having owned many Ibby over the years including my current stable of:
RG 3120TW
RGT 3120TV
RG 1820XGK
RG 2120XVV
RG 3550 ROM
jCustomRG 8320BBK
I would have to say go with a 'prestige' if you can get one. I have tried a few of the 920 QM Premiums and feel in my very humble opinion they are not quit up to prestige level guitars. They are really nice and blow many if not all guitars at that price point away. However the basic question you seem to be asking yourself seems to be... is a premium guitar a less expensive prestige? Again in my humble opinion the answer is no. That being said I have seen a few of the premium 920's for sale on the bay (many of which seem to be almost brand new) for under 7 hundred bucks. The Premiums are really nice guitar's at their retail price of 899.99. At under 700 they are killer! Agian just my 2cents.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Having owned many Ibby over the years including my current stable of:
RG 3120TW
RGT 3120TV
RG 1820XGK
RG 2120XVV
RG 3550 ROM
jCustomRG 8320BBK
I would have to say go with a 'prestige' if you can get one. I have tried a few of the 920 QM Premiums and feel in my very humble opinion they are not quit up to prestige level guitars. They are really nice and blow many if not all guitars at that price point away. However the basic question you seem to be asking yourself seems to be... is a premium guitar a less expensive prestige? Again in my humble opinion the answer is no. That being said I have seen a few of the premium 920's for sale on the bay (many of which seem to be almost brand new) for under 7 hundred bucks. The Premiums are really nice guitar's at their retail price of 899.99. At under 700 they are killer! Agian just my 2cents.
When and where have you seen a new Prestige for less than the price of a Premium 920 (from Rich)?

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 11:15 PM

Reviews: 21

I don't know if the RG1451 counts but it's cheaper than the RG920. Not really the same guitar though.
The Premiums are nice but, IMO, overpriced by about $100 or so. Consider the RG927 seven string. For $200 more you can get an RG1527. For $150 more you can get an RG1570 or an RG1550 rather than a RG920. Arguably the RG920 might be better in general from the neck and the Dimarzio-made pickups but it's still supposed to be a tier below Prestige.
I just checked the USDJPY rate and I suspect they'll be even more price increases for MIJ guitars come January. Probably more for MII models too so that Hoshino, as a company, can make money.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I don't know if the RG1451 counts but it's cheaper than the RG920. Not really the same guitar though.
The Premiums are nice but, IMO, overpriced by about $100 or so. Consider the RG927 seven string. For $200 more you can get an RG1527. For $150 more you can get an RG1570 or an RG1550 rather than a RG920. Arguably the RG920 might be better in general from the neck and the Dimarzio-made pickups but it's still supposed to be a tier below Prestige.
I just checked the USDJPY rate and I suspect they'll be even more price increases for MIJ guitars come January. Probably more for MII models too so that Hoshino, as a company, can make money.
Yes, but unlike the Prestige line--the Premiums are supposed to be J Custom quality without the J Custom prices. No, they're not as good as J Customs, but I like my 920 as much as any Prestige I've owned or played--except my RG2006 puzzletop.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 01:06 AM

Reviews: 21

From what I understand Premiums are supposed to be the middle tier affordable Prestige. The neck and the pickups are good, yes, but IMO the rest is Indo quality with much better QC. I'm wondering if the plan is to move more production to Indonesia. Hoshino has to be pulling their hair out over the dollar-yen thing just like every other Japanese manufacturer.
Maybe they should just slap Edge Pro on the RG870, offer it in more colors, switch its name to the RG1570 and call it a day.
And from my experience the Prestige is still a better instrument.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 01:40 AM
Banned

Believe me Mike, and I'm not trying to argue--I own a Premium 920 and have had a few Prestiges. All but one of the Prestiges have been sold, yet the Premium remains. Maybe I got lucky and ended up with the Queen Mother of RG920s. Between the above average EZ2 trem, ball-ended frets and waaaay above average stock pickups--it's pretty much on par with any of my old 500 and 700 series Ibbies. I'm not going by what tier Ibanez or anyone else wants to put these in--I'm going by playability, durability, looks and sound. For the price, it's just an all around better guitar. There may be some Prestige models that are better, but not at this price point.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 05:26 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Believe me Mike, and I'm not trying to argue--I own a Premium 920 and have had a few Prestiges. All but one of the Prestiges have been sold, yet the Premium remains. Maybe I got lucky and ended up with the Queen Mother of RG920s. Between the above average EZ2 trem, ball-ended frets and waaaay above average stock pickups--it's pretty much on par with any of my old 500 and 700 series Ibbies. I'm not going by what tier Ibanez or anyone else wants to put these in--I'm going by playability, durability, looks and sound. For the price, it's just an all around better guitar. There may be some Prestige models that are better, but not at this price point.
+1 on every thing you just said.

For the money, the 920 Premiums are hard to beat and you get boat loads of quality and refinement. Dimarzio's, EZ2 and an amazing neck, with the only drawbacks seem to be a few guys getting finish flaws. I'd say Ibanez struck GOLD with the Premiums.

I'm sure it's all subjective and point of view. But in my honest opinion. The Premium's give the Prestige's a very good run for their money.

Tags
ibanez , premium , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode