should i buy a strat? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

should i buy a strat?

I have a chance to get an American strat on sale. My only 2 guitars now are both Ibanez - what do all you Ibanez guys think about strats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:23 PM

Re: should i buy a strat?

If you even think you might like one get it. Chances are you'll realy enjoy it once you get used to it.
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:24 PM

If you play guitar, then you have to own at least one strat. It is a law.
post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:32 PM

Personally I think that anybody who is palying guitar as more than a passing phase should have a Strat,Tele,Les Paul,SG & a decent Martin in their collection regardless of what their primary guitar is.

So yeah... check it out you might like it.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:42 PM

Im gonna have to disagree and advice you to TRY a strat before you buy one. They are completely different from your Ibanez in almost every aspect. What kind of music do you play? That should also be really important in deciding which instruments you use.

540s: How can you say that a guitarist should own all of those guitars? Try them.....maybe, but you should only own what you need to make the music you want to make. Wanna play metal? Forget about the Tele..... know what I mean?

post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:51 PM

I play an 83 strat (and a DY), excellent instrument, I have to say.

I also tried a new USA Std last week at a guitar shop and I was bowled over....they are truly getting better. Strats have great tone and if you play them through a meaty amp with a good stomp box you'll see why they have such universal appeal.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:53 PM

I'd advise that you get as many different guitars as you can - guitars which are going to sound different than one another. Perhaps a strat (or similarly equipped all single-coil guitar) is the next logical choice for you. It drives me crazy to see people with like 10 of the same model guitar. Branch out and get some different guitars / brands, different woods, different pups, scale lengths, number of strings, etc. This will give you more tonal options which hopefully will give you different inspirations...

My two cents anyway...
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:01 PM

I fully agree. Each guitar has a special niche, and adding a Strat to your stable will help achieve different possibilities. You are gonna notice right off the bat that the Strat neck is thicker, but narrower, as opposed to your Ibanezes. Not bad, just different.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:10 PM

Actual when playing a strat playing a lot of what they have, I played 10 before I like the tone and feel of the one I got. Also look for the wider 12" C necks, if possible.
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:23 PM

how much is the strat? i love all 4 of mine.
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:40 PM

I agree with Satan , get a Strat or go to jail .
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Dee

^^^ LOL. I agree too. Strats can be amazing if you find one you're comfortable with. It takes skill to get the best out of one, so go for the challenge, at least.
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

its $895 Cdn (about $750 US). thanks guys, part of the reason im thinking about it is because it is different - i like the idea of owning different guitars for different styles of music. only problem is they are red and i want the sunburst! i also like the idea of swapping the pups out for some dimarzio area 61s and a heavy blues.
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 05:47 PM

I don't know how it is for you guys but I've owned my fair share of Strats since I've been playing but I keep selling them on. Six months to a year or so later I always find myself looking for another one.

It must just be something about Strats I guess ?

Ben
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEr0 View Post
Im gonna have to disagree and advice you to TRY a strat before you buy one. They are completely different from your Ibanez in almost every aspect. What kind of music do you play? That should also be really important in deciding which instruments you use.

540s: How can you say that a guitarist should own all of those guitars? Try them.....maybe, but you should only own what you need to make the music you want to make. Wanna play metal? Forget about the Tele..... know what I mean?

Well, they're not COMPLETELY different. They certainly influenced many of Ibanez's most popular models heavily.

Tags
andy summers , basswood body , charvel model , clean tone , deluxe strat , duncan pickups , ebony board , electric guitar , fat strat , fender strat , floyd rose , guitar shop , humbucking pickup , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , iron maiden , iron maiden strat , les paul , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , mexican strat , paul gilbert , scale lengths , scalloped neck , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pickups , stomp box , strat bridge , strat plus , thicker necks , yamaha pacifica , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode