should i do this? 3 EMG humbuckers in a RG1077XL? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

should i do this? 3 EMG humbuckers in a RG1077XL?

i have an RG1077XL and i really miss having EMG's. I installed a blaze custom, it's good ... but it's no EMG 81. i miss the intense gain and the rick harmonic squeal power.

this guitar is HB / S / HB

since EMG makes no single coil for 7 strings, i'm thinking of installing another EMG humbucker to deal with the empty slot ... it's too nice of a guitar to leave it hacked looking. so it will be like this ...

81-7 / 707 / 707

i see no problem with this, but can't remember seeing any guitar with 3 EMG humbuckers. thoughts? am i crazy?

gonna cost $300 just for the pickups.

Last edited by skattabrain; 05-16-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 04:48 PM

Re: should i do this? 3 EMG humbuckers in a RG1077XL?

Well, you're going to have the route the guitar anyway to fit in those humbuckers but I dunno if there will be enough room for a third humbucker. Personally, I would just install EMGs in the neck and bridge and either leave the single coil in the guitar but disconnected or install some sort of filler piece.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 05:00 PM

leave the guitar the way it is. Buy a rg7621 and hack THAT up! With the fixed bridge and EMG's, those guitars are war machines. I had 2. Loved them both.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

the finish is too unique for a filler piece ... if i was going that route i'd fill it and repaint it.

they'll fit ... i've taken measurements.

it's jsut an ass load of pickup real estate and it's such a sweet guitar.

i think EMG is really daft for using a bass housing... how lame. they'd sell more of these if they simply fit into a normal routing job!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 05:08 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skattabrain
the finish is too unique for a filler piece ... if i was going that route i'd fill it and repaint it.

i think EMG is really daft for using a bass housing... how lame. they'd sell more of these if they simply fit into a normal routing job!
I've said that before, it's just stupid the way they make them. There's no reason they couldn't make them direct fit damnit, but hey what do I care I'm not an EMG guy lol.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skattabrain

Dude, I actually said that directly to one of the EMG tech guys and he slowly agreed with me but obviously he doesn't have any control over that.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:11 PM

you're not really going to hack up a 1077xl are you???????
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
Dude, I actually said that directly to one of the EMG tech guys and he slowly agreed with me but obviously he doesn't have any control over that.

I spoke to Rob Turner(MR. EMG himself) at Namm years ago when the EMG707 first came out and why they used bass pickup housing and I was told that it was not only a cost issue regarding making proper housing but also because it would been a very tite fit to make them in the standard 7 string pickup size, resulting in a much higher margin of error during production.

I've never taken apart an EMG to see how big the coils are, but I can fully understand the whole thing about being cost effective.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 09:23 PM

No, you should not.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
I spoke to Rob Turner(MR. EMG himself) at Namm years ago when the EMG707 first came out and why they used bass pickup housing and I was told that it was not only a cost issue regarding making proper housing but also because it would been a very tite fit to make them in the standard 7 string pickup size, resulting in a much higher margin of error during production.
i dunno, that's kind of weak ... seymour duncan and dimarzio don't let that hold them back.

i'd pay an extra $25 to not have to hack up my prize possession!!

i'm on the fence ... i'm at the point where i'd only play a 7 string as a baritone now ... and with ibanez, all the baritone models aren't something you hack up unless it's that one non-prestige model.

tough options, not sure i like the idea of a wall of bass pickups ... but my blaze custom just doesn't have that harmonic power EMG is know for ... at the end of the day, it's about what it means to me ... i wouldn't base this on resale value, i'm not selling my guitars anymore ... i've done that in the past and regretted every last sale.

maybe i'll just buy a **gasp** SC607B or the C-7.

hopefully these EMG's in Japans line make their way into US model next year ... ibanez ... please adopt EMG's.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 11:10 AM

Well, at least put in only 2 EMGs and keep the single col (even as a disconnected dummy)...
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
Well, at least put in only 2 EMGs and keep the single col (even as a disconnected dummy)...
nah, i hate that
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

quick photoshop chop

i say this isn't that bad ... maybe even kinda cool ...

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 01:22 PM

Why don't you just fit a pair of Lundren M7's or even Bareknuckles Warpig7's.
They're probably the most powerful passive 7-string pickups available and it'll save you from spoiling a beautiful instrument.
Obviously they won't sound exactly like EMG's but they definitely sound as good.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45
Why don't you just fit a pair of Lundren M7's or even Bareknuckles Warpig7's.
Yeah, I was going to suggest those pickups. Or at least try an Evo7. It's too beautiful a guitar to chop up!

Tags
blaze neck , dino cazares , fixed bridge , output pickup , pickup cavities , pinch harmonics , seymour duncan , string pickup , string pickups , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode