Should I do this? Trade my RG550DX for Epi Les Paul Custom? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Should I do this? Trade my RG550DX for Epi Les Paul Custom?

Im thinking of doing that, its not that I dont like the RG550, its just that I want a guitar without a trem, and I was looking and some guitars and saw a white Epi Les Paul Custom, and thought it would be really interesting to get one and put some 13s on it, but would I have to do any mods on the Les Paul's neck? (I will be tuning it to C)

Thanks

P.S, any one willing to trade, please conctact me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 12:13 AM

maybe if i had... 6 550s id do it, if its my only 550, id keep it
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 12:49 AM

Please, for your own good, put down the Epiphone and slowly back away!

I owned one a few years back (Epi '56 Goldtop LP) and it was a total piece of junk. If you're expecting tone anywhere close to a Gibson LP, you'll be sadly disappointed. Mine had a body made of mahogany plywood. The tuners were junk and the guitar had to be tuned after every song I played. I tried Schaller locking tuners and a fine tuning tailpiece. Those solved the tuning issue, but I could not get a sound even close to the Gibson '56 LP reissue model. I even tried some DiMarzio soapbars, but it was like trying to polish a turd; even after it was all nice and shiny, I still had a turd.

Your actual mileage may vary, but I'd recommend the following $500 - $700 hardtail guitars over the Epi LP:

Ibanez Artist AR300 (my personal favorite on this list)
Ibanez SZ720FM
Gibson Faded SG
Gibson Faded Flying V
Schecter C-1 Elite
Schecter S-1 Elite
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

No, im not looking for the "gibson" tone, Im looking fo rmy own tone, thats why I want to put some 13s on it, but before I sell/trade my RG550DX, I need to know if any mods will need to be done to the Les Paul to accomadate the heavy strings.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 07:31 AM

My personal opinion is ABSOLUTELY don't do it.

I hate Epis and Epiphones and I'm pretty sure you are better of with your 570.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 08:10 AM

the quality of a 550 is far better - Epi is good, but Japan is a bit better. look into a few other guitars before you get the Epi. i liked the one Epi i "had", but the key word is "had".
i think the neck and intonation/action might be the only things you would need to adjust for 13's
as far as mods go, new pups (JB/59 Seymour my choice), tone pro bridge, better frets, better tuners... need i go on?

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 02:31 PM

u should keep that RG550 and block off the tremelo, so it doesn't really do much lol...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

OK, thanks for the feedback, I decided that I dont need another guitar with a trem, so I dedided to sell my RG550DX, thanks for the replys.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 04:12 PM

i would've went with blocking the trem too
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 04:44 PM

another one here for blocking the trem. can't beat the playabiltiy of the 500 series.

and another one here for hating epis. i had the epi slash les paul signature. terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible!!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian
u should keep that RG550 and block off the tremelo, so it doesn't really do much lol...
Just send your 550 to EKG or LGM and have them change it to a fixed bridge.

Problem solved!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I decided to sell it to whoever seems interested in it, this is what it looks like, http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=8...EF3B16BC9C5E84

check the classifieds section for more info.

Tags
epi les paul , fixed bridge , les paul , les paul custom , locking tuners , schaller locking , schaller locking tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode